Possible gestational diabeties-help

claireyfairy

Mum to 1 pregnant with#2
Reaction score
Hi ladies
Went into triage Wednesday for pains in back and abdomin. I did a urine sample on arrival and they found glucose in my sample.( I had the same happen at 28 week antenatal check but I was ok at 32 weeks). They sent me to diabetic clinic after dealing with the pains and they have got me monitoring my blood glucose. Anyway my figures are up and down. Most are below targets but some are higher. Sometimes it's the one after breakfast (cornflakes) and other times its lunch (today was a banana sandwich) and other times its evening meal. Yet when I was really naughty and I had fish and chips (so bad!!) the level was low. I don't understand!!!! Can anyone offer any advice as to what they will say to me or do on Wednesday at clinic? (I am now 36 weeks)
I really want to stay low risk so I can use midwife led birthing centre, do you think there is any possibility of his happening?

Cereal and bananas are actually really bad for blood sugar. Fish and chips I can see being better. Are you making sure you always have protein, fat, and carbs at each meal/ snack?

Bananas are full of sugar so thats probably why it was high. Fish and chips wnt have much sugar.

Thank you for your replies ladies x
I understand that banana sandwich has more sugar but should it send my reading over the target?
They told me to just eat normally except for sweets and chocolate- no other advice was given.
What do you think they will say to me Wednesday?

I understand that banana sandwich has more sugar but should it send my reading over the target?
They told me to just eat normally except for sweets and chocolate- no other advice was given.

I have gestational diabetes and cereal is off my diet because of the amount of sugar it has. If you had a banana split sandwich you are having 2 kinds of carbohydrates there, the banana and the bread, that would make your blood sugar go up. With the fish and chips you have the fish which is a sort of protein, so no carbs there and then the chips which are a carbohydrate but it depends how many you have. I can see that being lower in the carb scale.

If your blood sugar were to go up again (I had no idea it could happen so late in pregnancy, mine was diagnosed at 28 weeks) they might make you go into a gestational diabetes diet and check your blood sugar 4x a day (fasting and 2 hours after each meal) to see where you stand. If you control it with diet, you won't need insulin.

As far as labor goes, I was only told that if my levels are fine, I should have a normal labor. I would just need an IV in case my blood sugar goes high or low during birth and they have to give me insulin or have me drink some juice if it's too low. The baby would be checked after birth to make sure that his blood sugar is fine, if too low, then they would give him/her a sugary droplet to make the blood sugar go up again.

Good luck!

The insulin resistance gets worse the further into pregnancy you are so it's likely you've developed GD now. If you don't have it it wouldn't matter what you ate your levels would be able to stabilize on their own. Make sure you eat protein with each meal from now on and you may be able to keep it under control with diet alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->