Possible hypothyroid causing my miscarriages...

Lceaker

Reaction score
Has anyone had hypothyroidism that has caused miscarriages? I have had 4 miscarriages...all around 4-5 weeks... they checked my TSH and it was 11.17 Anyone else have this? They are checking it again next week as well as a T4... but is 11.17 high or just barely high?

Hi!

I've never had MCs or been preg or anything. BUT, I have been hypothyroid for 4 years, so hopefully I can help!

From what I understand, hypothyroid makes it very hard to conceive in the first place (doc just told me that its easier to conceive if hyperthyroid over hypothyroid) but if you do happen to conceive while hypothyroid, it makes it hard to make the pregnancy viable. So, yes, I do think it could be causing your miscarriages. Or at least attributing to them.

"Normal" levels for thyroid are anywhere between .4 to a 4. So, yes, 11.17 is HUGELY hypothyroid. My guess is that you have a lot of the symptoms I did. Fatigue, memory issues, concentration issues, issues losing weight/gaining weight, body temp regulation issues. Anyway, once you are diagnosed with thyroid dysfunction, the doc will try to get you between a 1 and a 2.

Currently, I am the OTHER way. lol. I'm very much hyperthyroid. I wasn't able to regulate my thyroid with medication and I also had growths on mine so my whole thyroid was removed in August. I am currently at a .1 but I need to be a 1 at least. So now, since I am hyperthyroid, it's messing with my ovulation and I'm not ovulating. :/

Anyway, if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Your labs indicate very low thyroid production. When you get pregnant, you need even MORE thyroid horomone as the baby uses it as its thyroid resource until it starts making its own. Hypothyroidism/Hashimotos makes your risk of miscarriage more likely and I would believe that with your levels as high as they are, that is definitely why you have MC.
Im sorry for your loss, but let me offer you this ray of hope. Usually once levels are regulated, you should be able to get pregnant and stay pregnant. I'd recommend a good doctor or endocrinologist to navigate the next few months as you try to get your levels straightened out. I would also suggest waiting to conceieve until that point, as low thyroid causes low IQ in baby and higher risk of MC. A euthyroid level is considered to be 1-2, so aim for that in testing and make sure you have your labs done every 4-6 weeks until they are regular atleast 2-3 times.
Best of luck.

Thank you both so much for responding! Yes I am always cold, tired (which I just felt lazy), memory issues like crazy, muscle weakness. I'm glad my doctor decided to check. The nurse that called me with lab results just said it was a little high so I wasn't for sure just how high my levels were. I got more labs drawn again today to confirm everything. Hopefully I can get everything back under control... Nice to know these symptoms aren't just from me getting older or lazy ;)

Hi Lceaker,

I am going through something similar. I went to the doctor today and they took blood to check for my free T3, T4, an antibody test, TSH, and a preg test as I am 17dpo and cd46. I have also had mc's and they run in my family along with still births. So I am hoping to work this out asap!!! MY doctor was actually reading this article just before our appt. and I think it will give you a lot of hope and help you understand: https://www.nytimes.com/ref/health/healthguide/esn-hypothyroidism-expert.html?pagewanted=all

I hope this helps and good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"