Possible miscarriage or just something else.

Meden1122

Reaction score
Hi, I'm an excited father to be well atleast my wife and I are trying.
The home pregnancy test has show up positive on Friday 13th July. She went to the doctor on the 24th of July, if we calculate the age from LMP( the first day of her last 5 day period? ) which was the 6th June, then the embryo age should be 7+2 today, but the doctor only measured 5+1 on the 24th and then again today 27th 5+4.My wife has done two blood tests, on Tuesday the 24th July the hcg value was 20000 and on Thursday 26th it was 28000. The doctor is concern that the value should have doubled over the two days. The quality of the ultrasound is really not that great, seeing that we live in a remote town. From what the doctors have told us is, that there is a sack (suppose its the embryo) its clearly visible , its in the right place, but they can't detect or see a heart beat yet. Is it to early for a HB and is it possible that its only 5+4 weeks when her LMP was on the 6th of June? Your thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on when she ovulated. When I was pregnant with my daughter I went in at 7 weeks and they measured me at only 5 weeks. I went back 2 weeks later and measured at 7 weeks. I wasnt tracking my ovulation but apparently ovulated the day I should have started my period. However I did not get a positive pregnancy test until I was 10 days late for my period. Which lined up with my measurements. Hope things turn out well for you and your wife!

Just thought I'd give an update and perhaps ask a quick question. So on Friday 27th, in the evening my wife had some spotting and light cramps, we have obviously been expecting the worse since then. Not being able to get an appointment at the gp until Thursday (today) to confirm a miscarriage, she did blood work again on Tuesday and the hcg count was at 56500 odd miu/ml. We expected it start dropping off the 28000 she had on Thursday 26 july. So the doctor call us when she received the results and said she thinks it might be a blighted ovum. Due to the fact that the hcg levels are not increasing at such a rapid rate. I then immediately booked a private doctor, so confirmed with a ultrasound if the sac is still there, thinking that that would indicate the miscarriage. The doctor seemed to think that there was something inside the sac but couldn't detect a heartbeat at this point in time.I forgot to ask him if he thinks it's a blighted ovum. If I calculate from when the flo app said she ovulate then yesterday was 6+2. Is this still too early? And what's you thoughts on the possibility of a blighted ovum with regard to the hcg levels and possibly seeing something inside the sac?

Thx again for the comments and thoughts.

Sorry you're both going through all this back and forth and not knowing what's going on! :( I don't have much advice, as I don't know much about blighted ovums. But 6+2 can still be early for the heartbeat. Spotting and cramping can be totally normal in early pregnancy, as long as the cramps don't get heavy and the bleeding doesn't get too bad I would try not to worry too much about that. Do you have another follow up scan booked?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yesterday she went for the next blood test, so I will post those results later. Fingers crossed for a normal increase in hcg count. (I read on one of the other threads that the doubling effect really happens in the first few weeks and then doubles at a slower rate, to maybe 3-4 days). The followup scan is scheduled for Monday 6th August. I just hope it's not too early yet again.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yesterday she went for the next blood test, so I will post those results later. Fingers crossed for a normal increase in hcg count. (I read on one of the other threads that the doubling effect really happens in the first few weeks and then doubles at a slower rate, to maybe 3-4 days). The followup scan is scheduled for Monday 6th August. I just hope it's not too early yet again.

The blood tests are back and it's not good news, the hcg count went down from 5300 odd I thought it was 56000 to 50000. So I'm sure we have no hope now. :wacko:

I didn't want to read and run. I'm so sorry that you're going through all this.

Really sorry to hear that, best wishes to you and your wife.

Hi all, just thought I'd give some feedback now that the 9 months have passed and our baby girl has been born on the 6th March a few days ago.
We didn't have any complications through out the rest of the pregnancy.
Let me pick up where my previous posts left off, after the drop in hcg level I truly believe it was over, obviously I was hopeful but from what all the research online shows it should of been a MC and that's why I really have to post this update. One possible reason a local gp gave us for the drop in hcg level, could only of been a "vanishing twin", but to be honest I was so negative when she told us that it seemed to be to just keep our hopes up.
We had a follow up scan at 9 weeks and could see a hb. But the next visit 4 weeks later was at a gyne, and we both we convinced she would say its a MC and my wife will see bleeding soon.
Every other visit from there was routine, no problems at all.
Like I mentioned on the 6th March, Makenzie was born, in good health, we going for the follow up visit soon.
To all people who experience the same up and downs, like we did regarding bleeding early on and hormone levels, keep your hopes up it isn't always the end.

Hi all, just thought I'd give some feedback now that the 9 months have passed and our baby girl has been born on the 6th March a few days ago.
Let me pick up where my previous posts left off, after the drop in hcg level I truly believe it was over, obviously I was hopeful but from what all the research online shows it should of been a MC and that's why I really have to post this update. One possible reason a local gp gave us for the drop in hcg level, could only of been a "vanishing twin", but to be honest I was so negative when she told us that it seemed to be to just keep our hopes up.
We had a follow up scan at 9 weeks and could see a hb. But the next visit 4 weeks later was at a gyne, and we both we convinced she would say its a MC and my wife will see bleeding soon.
Like I mentioned on the 6th March, Makenzie was born, in good health, we going for the follow up visit soon.
To all people who experience the same up and downs, like we did regarding bleeding early on and hormone levels, keep your hopes up it isn't always the end.

Awwww congratulations to you both and thank you for taking the time out to let us know the outcome. Thank God ure baby was just fine and is now a healthy bundle of joy I really hope this give other ladies some reasurance.
Congrats on ure new baby girl

Congratulations! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"