Possible Traveling Job

Pandora0814

Mum & Expecting #2
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with this or will be dealing with this. To make a long story short, my husband put in for a job with a construction company that works year around traveling. For the first year, he would be gone practically a whole year working 6 days/12 hours shifts. He would miss the birth of his second child due to his work. Now I know I can deal with that because with his work schedule now, he is barely home and I hardly see him but at least I’ve been able to see him on weekends.

Well not with this job (if he gets it of course). The pay is great but then we will have to deal with his ex wife and her money hungry child support for their 10 year old from their marriage. My husband and I now have 2 of our own and I am afraid that she will try and squeeze more money out of him even though the child support office doesn’t even know yet that he has another child and one on the way.

But after his first year, he will work 2 weeks on then 2 weeks off.

So has anyone had to endure being alone for their pregnancy bc of work.

Just didn't want to read and run. My husband is out of the country for work for most of the pregnancy but at least will be in town for the gender ultrasound and for the birth, otherwise I'm on my own and I don't have family around. The only difference is that this is my first pregnancy and I don't have another child to take care of which would definitely make it more complicated.

I'm used to it since this has been the case for most of our marriage but I've learnt to find other interests to keep me motivated. Also my husband calls every single day even if it is for 5 minutes to give me emotional support and allow me to vent for the day. I think that has helped him to stay connected. Also it helps that I work so I don't have to be at home all-day which can get depressing.

Hope this helps.

My mom gave me some powerful advice that I think will help you with your decision.

Children don't notice if the house is clean, they don't care what brand of food they eat, and it doesn't matter to them how much money you have.

They notice if their parents are engaged in their lives, they notice when mom and dad are around and when they're not, and speaking from experience, it makes a huge impact.

In my opinion I don't think it would be healthy for me or my children if my hubby wasn't around. But this is purely my opinion!

^What CassieSims said. Money is great but it is nothing compared to having your life long companion by your side! Honestly, if money is the only reason he would take this job, AND it would take him away from you I say it's not worth it, unless maybe you are at the point where you can barely survive off what you're bringing in (and even then sometimes it's not worth it!). The birth of your child is something that you can NEVER get back, I think daddy should be there to see it, even if it means giving up loads of money!

But that's just me :)

My OH is an interstate truck driver. He was pretty much never home for my 1st pregnancy. When I was 37weeks he took 6 weeks off, so he could be there for me and be there for the baby's delivery.
He's missed out on so many milestones of our daughter. Crawling, walking etc.
He missed out on my bfp for this pregnancy. I expect him to take time off for when I'm 37 weeks again. It's a big gamble. But it's all he can do. Just stay home when I'm term for 5-6weeks.

Could your hubby take time off when your term

edit: My OH roster is now 2weeks on 2 weeks off. So he will be home more than last pregnancy, which is something to be thankful I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->