Possibly delaying period/ovulation

Rawan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am dpo 12 today, and just did a first response this morning, and BFN...feeling down:cry::cry:...we dtd 2 days before ovulation and used preseed, thought there would be a chance that we caught the egg....and DH is away until end of Aug.
I have a crazy idea. I was looking at my calendar, and if everything happens naturally, I will be ovulating when DH is still out of town...I don't want to miss it again...so I started taking progesterone pill after getting BFN this morning...I am thinking if I can delay my period (af due these few days), then my ovulation will be delayed one week, and we might be able to catch the egg when DH is back. I know this might mess up with my cycle, but I am really hoping for BFP. Everytime I go out and see baby and mom, I am like why can't I be a mom too...makes me feel so sad....maybe it's also my biological clock ticking, because I'm over 30 years old now...I feel my time is running out...sorry for the rant...
What do you think of this method to possibly delay period/ovulation? Anyone tried it? Maybe I am crazy lol:shrug::rofl:

I know what it's like, my DH is in the army. He gets called away for courses, instructing, deployments etc often at short notice.

I would really caution you against messing with your cycles. It is possible you could make things worse and prolong your BFP. I'm not sure progesterone can do that but I know there are other things you can do to possibly change your cycles and they can make things worse.

If I remember correctly, you haven't been trying too long yet. Have you just come off some form of birth control? If so, it's possible your cycles are still getting back to normal. My cycles got longer the longer I was off the pill.

I'd recommend talking to your doctor if you wanted to do something like this. I know for women starting IVF they go back on the pill for a month. You could maybe do that for a week, get withdrawal bleeding and then hope to O. But the length of time you're talking about, it's hard to tell if that pill would work there and if your body would just go on like normal next cycle. Hormones can be pretty sensitive.

Sorry it sucks, I know. I just wouldn't want to take that risk and spend the next 6-12 months with messed up cycles.

Thank you sarah2211 for the reply! :)
This is our third official cycle ttc already, so heading towards our 4th one. Before we were not really trying/preventing. I have never taken birth control pill before. Before I used the progesterone pill once to delay period because I was on vacation with DH, and didn't want to have period during that time.
I will be turning 34 this year...so approaching 35, that's why maybe i feel the extra pressure if I want a baby. I also did some bloodwork at a fertility clinic...just wanted to make sure there are no issues.
Yeah I know what you mean, I probably don't want to mess up my cycle, I will probably ask that during my next appointment at the fertility clinic.
Lots of baby dust to you!:hugs:

I would advise against it. 12dpo is still early, lots of time for a bfp. I had a totally negative blood test at 13dpo and then a bfp at 17dpo. I wouldn't go taking anything unless you can be 100% sure you aren't pregnant. Also even if your not it might not work out how you want and totally mess up your cycles. Good luck and hope you catch that egg soon!

Thank you maryanne1987 for the reply! :)
Yeah I agree...I probably don't want to mess up my cycle, I guess I want that BFP so badly that I am trying anything/everything lol

The idea has its appeal Rawan lol I don't think it would work for my body though. Even when taking bcp I couldn't delay AF by taking an extra weeks worth as I'd just get breakthrough bleeding.

Yeah BelleNuit the idea is appealing that's why I was tempted to try it...
the last time I used the progesterone pill to delay my period while on vacation with DH, my period came 4 days after I stopped taking the pills...
Anyways, i wish we could control when we ovulate, then it will be much easier to time ttc lol:rofl:
The idea has its appeal Rawan lol I don't think it would work for my body though. Even when taking bcp I couldn't delay AF by taking an extra weeks worth as I'd just get breakthrough bleeding.

I did that and it messed up my cycles. I ended up not being able to O properly for like 2 cycles

Oh DobbyForever I am sorry to hear that...so maybe it's not that great of an idea then....thanks for sharing!
I did that and it messed up my cycles. I ended up not being able to O properly for like 2 cycles

I was being too naive thinking that I can control my body lol:rofl:

Lol I mean in theory it sounds great. You can use them to alter period length within a week. Like my gyn okayed me to have a period early or delay it a week every now and then because of vacation. But as far as taking some to change o date not so much. Your body adjusts better before 25ish but after that bcp can really mess up your body. I didn't used to believe it until it happened to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->