Post-Natal Exercise after a C-Section?

ReadytoMum

Mama to Peter
Reaction score
So my DS was born by C-section 12 weeks ago tomorrow. Because of the C-section I was advised to wait 6-8 weeks before attempting any exercise. Well, it's been 12 weeks now and all I've done is go for walks with the stroller!

I was lucky that I lost around 90% of my pregnancy weight within the first 2 weeks without having to do anything. But the last little bit is going to take some work, and I'm pretty sure I've gained some of that weight back by eating so crappy. :dohh: So it's time to start doing something about it! DH and I have made a commitment to start working out three mornings a week together. We're hoping DS will sit in his bouncy chair while we do (which is actually fairly likely since he sits in there pretty contentedly.) We have several Jillian Michaels DVD's and we'll be exercising along to those.

So I'm curious what have other ladies tried for post-natal exercise? Especially if you had a c-section? I certainly don't expect things to return to normal very quickly since it took 9 months to get that way to begin with, but I need to start being active and healthy again at the very least!

I have a gym membership. And started slow paced on the treadmill(with talking to my dr about it first and all). Always nice to know a fellow c-sectioner (a 4x within 6 years veteran lol). Just start slow and build up as you know you can take it, GL.

4 times?? Wow! We are hoping to have three LO's in total.... but if #2 ends up being a c-section as well I'm not so sure there'll be a #3! :dohh:

I didn't have a section but I did have an episiotomy which I ended up having to take antibiotics for. I waited until my stitches were healed (5weeks pp) and then went back to the gym. I took it easy for the first couple of weeks and built my fitness back up but I went three times a week. Getting back made me feel so much better! I did exercise right up until the birth though and was very fit before, so I knew I wasn't putting too much strain on my body as I'd only had 5 weeks out. I'd be careful about starting new exercise and take it really gently iykwim?

Yeah I don't imagine I'll be able to keep up with even the "slow" level on the videos at the moment until I build up some strength and stamina again. At this point more than anything I just feel like I need to start doing SOMETHING to get myself back into shape. I imagine it'll be a slow process, but I'm ok with that.

I'm almost 4 weeks post C-section. I'm waiting until I go to the doctor this coming week for her to "release" me to exercise I believe.. I prefer walking as my exercise of choice. Hubby and I also bought bikes tonight. We plan to start riding those a couple nights a week, too. I gained 38 pounds with my pregnancy, and I have been able to lose 31 pounds so far. I have 7 pounds to go til my pre-pregnancy weight, and then another 30 to get to where I want to be.. Then I will re-evaluate! On the other side, I hope to be pregnant soon so we shall see! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->