Post your POSITIVE C Section stories.

ashleyg

Mama to three
Reaction score
Hi mamas! I am having my c section on September 9 and I'm starting to get really nervous and anxious about recovery and the whole process in general.

I would love to read your POSITIVE stories to make me feel better about it lol. So if you have any that you would like to share, please do!!

This will probably be long so I apologize in advance! I had my dd at 30 weeks by emcs in April 2012. Overall it was so much easier than I ever expected. The spinal did not hurt at all. DH was then allowed to come in and he sat right by my head and held my hand the whole time. The atmosphere was casual, they had music playing in the background and the doctors were just chit chatting and making jokes - some might not like this but for me it really helped lighten the mood and I appreciated it. Once they start it doesn't take long - within a few minutes they told me they were about to pull her out. I felt a ton of pressure in my chest, like someone was pressing on my lungs, and I remember kind of moaning just because it was so much pressure. But it didn't hurt at all. Then they said she was out! She started crying right away and she was breathing on her own, passed her APGAR with flying colors and we were all surprised because of how early she was. They brought her up to me and let me kiss her and then took her off to the NICU and my DH went with her.

(I know at my hospital normally with c-sections if baby is healthy they will bring them up to your chest and you will be able to hold them there the whole time while they stitch you up. That is what I will be doing this time around and I'm so excited for that.)

While they were stitching me up, I started getting the shakes really bad, which I have heard is very normal. It was becoming a bit too much for me to handle and I told my anesthesiologist (they stay right behind you the entire time) that I really did not like this feeling and just wanted to know if something was wrong... he said it was totally normal but that he could give me something to stop it if I wanted... I said yes please lol... he put Demerol in my IV and whoaaaa I immediately stopped shaking and felt like I was floating on a cloud, I felt like I was so high I was going to pass out haha. I told him I was worried about passing out and he just laughed and said I might doze off but it's not like I'm passing out unconscious.

The stitching up part takes the longest, if I had to guess I'd say it took like 20 minutes, but if your baby was healthy/full term and on your chest or in the room with you I imagine the time would go by much faster because you'd be distracted with your baby.

Then they wheeled me to recovery where you sit and just kind of wait for an hour or so, I assume just to make sure your body is reacting well. While I was there they came and told me my baby was doing so awesome and that they would take me to go see her when I was out of recovery. I felt super drugged up from the Demerol but fought falling asleep so hard so that I could go see her. They took me in to see her and she was so small and cute, I got to hold her and DH took a picture. But I was seriously out of my mind, I wanted to just hold her forever but I was so out of it, she was only 2lbs 11oz but it felt like I was trying to hold up 50lbs lol, and I had to tell the nurses to take her from me because I was so scared I was going to drop her.

They wheeled me back to my room and I think I fell asleep for a bit, but then the nurses come in and start giving you pain meds so that by the time your anesthesia wears off the pain meds are kicking in. I never felt any pain. I had my dd at 1am and I believe by 1pm they came in and had me get up. It was a very slow process, kind of scary because you feel like if you move the wrong way you're going to rip open, but it's really not that bad. They helped me slowly sit up first and waited a few minutes, then had me stand on my feet. They helped me slowly walk to the bathroom and took out my catheter. That was embarrassing because of course pee came out and some got on the nurse! Omg I felt so bad but she was so nice and said oh please, this is nothing lol.

They really encourage you to try to walk around as much as possible. And as scary as it might seem, you really should, because it gets your blood flowing back down to your legs and across your body, which really speeds up the healing process. From there, nurses were coming in every 3 hours or so with pain meds and also Colace (stool softener) and they ask you to let them know if/when you finally have a bowel movement... I didn't have one until like day 5 lol and it was scary but nothing bad happened, you make it seem worse in your head.

But anyway I was up and walking around on my own by the end of the second day, still slowly but I could get in and out of the bed by myself by then. And by the 4th day or so I was walking up to the NICU to see my dd several times a day. I stayed 5 days after my c-section and by the time I went home I felt totally fine. I thought I didn't need the pain meds anymore because I wasn't in pain at all, so I stopped taking them like the 4th day, but then after the last one wore off I started feeling a lot of pain and realized that I wasn't feeling pain because they were actually working haha. I'd say by the end of the 2nd week I didn't need the pain meds at all anymore and I was totally fine. I even went back to work after just 2 weeks. My dd was still in the NICU so I wanted to save my paid time for when she was home.

Anyway, that was my story. Probably much more detail than you needed LOL, but I can say my c-section went so smoothly, recovery wasn't bad at all. Take it easy in the beginning and don't over exert yourself but make sure you move around as much as you can when you feel like you can. I'm having an elective at 39 weeks with this one, and I really hope I have the same experience!

:hugs: Ashleyg congratulations!! Coming up soon! :happydance:

I had a really lovely experience. I had one scheduled for two days after my due date due to breech presentation.

I went in changed and was hooked up to an IV both drs came n to talk to me about the procedure and ask if I had any questions. Same with the anesthesiologist. The nurses did the same while asking me loads of questions. My husband changed and I walked off the the or. Once in there I got the spinal....didn't feel it at all. It instantly started working. The nurses put the catheter in.
The drs came in and were just chatting with me and put up the blue sheet. Everyone was walking around doing things. I started feeling sick and the nurse got me a cold rag for my head and the anesthesiologist gave me some meds...I instantly felt better just very groggy. My husband came in and said they had already started....I couldn't tell. My drs just kept conversation light and I just enjoyed listening to them. I didn't feel like talking....I can't really explain it....maybe from the spinal going towards my lungs. After what seemed like five minutes they told me I "would be able to breathe easier in a minute." He came out and they showed him to me and he started crying after about a minute.
My DH went over to see him. They brought him to me very quickly. They opened my gown and my DS blankets and we had skin to skin while the drs were stitching me up. My DS instantly stopped crying on my chest. I'm not sure how long that part took because I was just totally in awe of my DS :happydance: my DH got to have skin to skin while my dr showed me the incision (it didn't look that bad!) and they moved me to another bed.
I started breastfeeding in recovery!
The recovery was okay with a lot of help and support.
I look back on it with a lot of love....my DS and his birth...so special:flower:

Congratulations!! :hugs: make sure to update us!

This will probably be long so I apologize in advance! I had my dd at 30 weeks by emcs in April 2012. Overall it was so much easier than I ever expected. The spinal did not hurt at all. DH was then allowed to come in and he sat right by my head and held my hand the whole time. The atmosphere was casual, they had music playing in the background and the doctors were just chit chatting and making jokes - some might not like this but for me it really helped lighten the mood and I appreciated it. Once they start it doesn't take long - within a few minutes they told me they were about to pull her out. I felt a ton of pressure in my chest, like someone was pressing on my lungs, and I remember kind of moaning just because it was so much pressure. But it didn't hurt at all. Then they said she was out! She started crying right away and she was breathing on her own, passed her APGAR with flying colors and we were all surprised because of how early she was. They brought her up to me and let me kiss her and then took her off to the NICU and my DH went with her.

(I know at my hospital normally with c-sections if baby is healthy they will bring them up to your chest and you will be able to hold them there the whole time while they stitch you up. That is what I will be doing this time around and I'm so excited for that.)

While they were stitching me up, I started getting the shakes really bad, which I have heard is very normal. It was becoming a bit too much for me to handle and I told my anesthesiologist (they stay right behind you the entire time) that I really did not like this feeling and just wanted to know if something was wrong... he said it was totally normal but that he could give me something to stop it if I wanted... I said yes please lol... he put Demerol in my IV and whoaaaa I immediately stopped shaking and felt like I was floating on a cloud, I felt like I was so high I was going to pass out haha. I told him I was worried about passing out and he just laughed and said I might doze off but it's not like I'm passing out unconscious.

The stitching up part takes the longest, if I had to guess I'd say it took like 20 minutes, but if your baby was healthy/full term and on your chest or in the room with you I imagine the time would go by much faster because you'd be distracted with your baby.

Then they wheeled me to recovery where you sit and just kind of wait for an hour or so, I assume just to make sure your body is reacting well. While I was there they came and told me my baby was doing so awesome and that they would take me to go see her when I was out of recovery. I felt super drugged up from the Demerol but fought falling asleep so hard so that I could go see her. They took me in to see her and she was so small and cute, I got to hold her and DH took a picture. But I was seriously out of my mind, I wanted to just hold her forever but I was so out of it, she was only 2lbs 11oz but it felt like I was trying to hold up 50lbs lol, and I had to tell the nurses to take her from me because I was so scared I was going to drop her.

They wheeled me back to my room and I think I fell asleep for a bit, but then the nurses come in and start giving you pain meds so that by the time your anesthesia wears off the pain meds are kicking in. I never felt any pain. I had my dd at 1am and I believe by 1pm they came in and had me get up. It was a very slow process, kind of scary because you feel like if you move the wrong way you're going to rip open, but it's really not that bad. They helped me slowly sit up first and waited a few minutes, then had me stand on my feet. They helped me slowly walk to the bathroom and took out my catheter. That was embarrassing because of course pee came out and some got on the nurse! Omg I felt so bad but she was so nice and said oh please, this is nothing lol.

They really encourage you to try to walk around as much as possible. And as scary as it might seem, you really should, because it gets your blood flowing back down to your legs and across your body, which really speeds up the healing process. From there, nurses were coming in every 3 hours or so with pain meds and also Colace (stool softener) and they ask you to let them know if/when you finally have a bowel movement... I didn't have one until like day 5 lol and it was scary but nothing bad happened, you make it seem worse in your head.

But anyway I was up and walking around on my own by the end of the second day, still slowly but I could get in and out of the bed by myself by then. And by the 4th day or so I was walking up to the NICU to see my dd several times a day. I stayed 5 days after my c-section and by the time I went home I felt totally fine. I thought I didn't need the pain meds anymore because I wasn't in pain at all, so I stopped taking them like the 4th day, but then after the last one wore off I started feeling a lot of pain and realized that I wasn't feeling pain because they were actually working haha. I'd say by the end of the 2nd week I didn't need the pain meds at all anymore and I was totally fine. I even went back to work after just 2 weeks. My dd was still in the NICU so I wanted to save my paid time for when she was home.

Anyway, that was my story. Probably much more detail than you needed LOL, but I can say my c-section went so smoothly, recovery wasn't bad at all. Take it easy in the beginning and don't over exert yourself but make sure you move around as much as you can when you feel like you can. I'm having an elective at 39 weeks with this one, and I really hope I have the same experience!

Thanks so much for sharing your story! That makes me feel a lot better lol. I've never had surgery before so it's all new to me. I hope I have a great section and recovery like you did! Xoxo

:hugs: Ashleyg congratulations!! Coming up soon! :happydance:

I had a really lovely experience. I had one scheduled for two days after my due date due to breech presentation.

I went in changed and was hooked up to an IV both drs came n to talk to me about the procedure and ask if I had any questions. Same with the anesthesiologist. The nurses did the same while asking me loads of questions. My husband changed and I walked off the the or. Once in there I got the spinal....didn't feel it at all. It instantly started working. The nurses put the catheter in.
The drs came in and were just chatting with me and put up the blue sheet. Everyone was walking around doing things. I started feeling sick and the nurse got me a cold rag for my head and the anesthesiologist gave me some meds...I instantly felt better just very groggy. My husband came in and said they had already started....I couldn't tell. My drs just kept conversation light and I just enjoyed listening to them. I didn't feel like talking....I can't really explain it....maybe from the spinal going towards my lungs. After what seemed like five minutes they told me I "would be able to breathe easier in a minute." He came out and they showed him to me and he started crying after about a minute.
My DH went over to see him. They brought him to me very quickly. They opened my gown and my DS blankets and we had skin to skin while the drs were stitching me up. My DS instantly stopped crying on my chest. I'm not sure how long that part took because I was just totally in awe of my DS :happydance: my DH got to have skin to skin while my dr showed me the incision (it didn't look that bad!) and they moved me to another bed.
I started breastfeeding in recovery!
The recovery was okay with a lot of help and support.
I look back on it with a lot of love....my DS and his birth...so special:flower:

Congratulations!! :hugs: make sure to update us!

Thanks you! I know I can't believe it's coming so close now! :happydance: I'm ready to have her already lol

Thanks for your story! I have already asked my doctor about BFing in recovery and he said that as long as me and baby are fine that I should be able too. So that makes me excited lol

I ended up with an EMCS due to DS becoming distressed with the synto drip and his heart rate slowing dangerously after getting to 8cm.

Even though it was an emergency so a bit terrifying at the time (and I was exhausted after hours of labour on gas and air), I honestly found the section itself to be so much better than I expected. I may have been lucky with this but either way I'm very grateful I had the section in the end.

The epidural was a god-send at that point but took a few attempts as I couldn't keep still through contractions. He was out really quickly and put on my chest. I did get the shakes (common with epi) but it was more annoying than uncomfortable and settled once he was out. I can't remember how long the closing up took as I was too busy looking at my baby :cloud9: I was taken to recovery with DS and breastfed him there for 40mins.

I really don't remember being in much pain from the section at all. I was up the next morning, had catheter out (didn't feel it) and showered and went home that lunchtime. I think I took some paracetamol at home for the next day or so but nothing more than that. Obviously it pulls a bit over the wound with some movements so you have to take it slowly, but I was Xmas shopping 3 days later!

The worst part of the whole thing for me was that I ended up with a dural leak where the epi punctured my spinal column. I'm sure this only happened because I could not keep still for the needle to go in, but I ended up with an awful headache and neck pain (WAY worse than the contractions even with the synto) which was only bearable when laying flat until I went back into hospital to have a blood patch to fix it 2 days after DS was born. I imagine this complication is pretty much unheard of if you're having a planned section (as I am on the 3rd sept :thumbup:) so I'm not worried about it happening again. It made me a pro at BF lying down though which is a useful skill!

Overall it was a much more positive experience than I thought it would be and recovery was much better. Although I've never had a vaginal birth I have had surgical procedures on my perineum (I have Crohn's disease) and had cuts 'down there' much like a tear would be and truthfully I found the discomfort from those ops was much worse than the pain from the abdominal wound after the section.

Good luck with your section. :flower:

I ended up with an EMCS due to DS becoming distressed with the synto drip and his heart rate slowing dangerously after getting to 8cm.

Even though it was an emergency so a bit terrifying at the time (and I was exhausted after hours of labour on gas and air), I honestly found the section itself to be so much better than I expected. I may have been lucky with this but either way I'm very grateful I had the section in the end.

The epidural was a god-send at that point but took a few attempts as I couldn't keep still through contractions. He was out really quickly and put on my chest. I did get the shakes (common with epi) but it was more annoying than uncomfortable and settled once he was out. I can't remember how long the closing up took as I was too busy looking at my baby :cloud9: I was taken to recovery with DS and breastfed him there for 40mins.

I really don't remember being in much pain from the section at all. I was up the next morning, had catheter out (didn't feel it) and showered and went home that lunchtime. I think I took some paracetamol at home for the next day or so but nothing more than that. Obviously it pulls a bit over the wound with some movements so you have to take it slowly, but I was Xmas shopping 3 days later!

The worst part of the whole thing for me was that I ended up with a dural leak where the epi punctured my spinal column. I'm sure this only happened because I could not keep still for the needle to go in, but I ended up with an awful headache and neck pain (WAY worse than the contractions even with the synto) which was only bearable when laying flat until I went back into hospital to have a blood patch to fix it 2 days after DS was born. I imagine this complication is pretty much unheard of if you're having a planned section (as I am on the 3rd sept :thumbup:) so I'm not worried about it happening again. It made me a pro at BF lying down though which is a useful skill!

Overall it was a much more positive experience than I thought it would be and recovery was much better. Although I've never had a vaginal birth I have had surgical procedures on my perineum (I have Crohn's disease) and had cuts 'down there' much like a tear would be and truthfully I found the discomfort from those ops was much worse than the pain from the abdominal wound after the section.

Good luck with your section. :flower:

Thanks so much for sharing.

I have heard horror stories about vaginal births so I keep trying to think of that when I get nervous lol

Mine was a EMCS 2 years ago with DD2.

As it was an emergency I guess I cant say it was 'positive' but at the end of the day I got a beautiful happy and healthy DD, I healed well and am doing it all again in a few weeks :-D

Thanks so much for sharing your story! That makes me feel a lot better lol. I've never had surgery before so it's all new to me. I hope I have a great section and recovery like you did! Xoxo

It was my first major surgery too! Other than being put out for my wisdom teeth LOL. So it was definitely all new to me too. You'll be fine! Don't over think it. It will be over so fast and you'll have your baby in your arms before you know it, and the whole surgery will be a blur.

My previous c section was also a fabulous experience. Even though it was also EMCS it went very smoothly. I walked in to get an ultrasound that morning not knowing I would be having my baby within the hour but after the doctor told me I would be, I felt a jolt of nervousness then completely relaxed, thinking, yes..this is happening, I'm ready to meet my baby! After getting everything explained to me and I was in my gown walking to the ER, I suddenly started gushing blood out of nowhere! (sorry if TMI) so I don't know if that has anything to do with this but when I entered the OR and they hooked me up the anesthesiologist mentioned my heart rate was extremely high and asked if this was normal for me to which I replied I didn't think so. (just must have been extremely anxious and nervous again) I didnt realize this at the time but at that moment all the nurses started making small chat with me (which now I realize was to distract me and try to lower my heartrate) and the nurse who was aiding with the spintal tap chatted with me and let me lean my head on her shoulder while getting the spinal, and she rubbed my back. After getting the spinal my legs immediately went tingly and numb and I just got this all over warm feeling and ahhhh my heart rate lowered beautifully. After the spinal the whole experience just flew and was awesome! My anesthesiologist explained everything they were doing but not in gory detail, my husband came in and told me they had already begun cutting (HUGE surprise and relief, as I didn't feel a thing) hubby and I chatted away while they did the surgery, with me only feeling lots of pressure and tugging and pulling but no pain. Then after a few minutes the anesthesiologist says "Ok, get ready to feel a huge pull" which I did, and then crying! My baby was out! It was so surreal. And I was only 33 weeks so the sound of instant crying was amazing music to my ears. as he was premature I didnt get to hold him or see him right away as he was whisked away to the NICU, but my hubby did get to take a quick picture to show me. I agree with what some others have said, the stitching up is the longest part but you don't feel a thing, then they take you to recovery! I was up and walking within about 3-4 hours after (when I say walking I mean only to the bathroom and back, and very slowly.) But all in all it was fabulous. I loved my doctor and knew I was in the best hands going in, so I think that really helped. I have my repeat c-section on Thursday and I am really hoping it is as great as my last one! Good luck to you, everything will be fine! <3

It was my first major surgery too! Other than being put out for my wisdom teeth LOL. So it was definitely all new to me too. You'll be fine! Don't over think it. It will be over so fast and you'll have your baby in your arms before you know it, and the whole surgery will be a blur.

I'm so over emotional right now and they made me tear up lol. Thanks so much :flower:

My previous c section was also a fabulous experience. Even though it was also EMCS it went very smoothly. I walked in to get an ultrasound that morning not knowing I would be having my baby within the hour but after the doctor told me I would be, I felt a jolt of nervousness then completely relaxed, thinking, yes..this is happening, I'm ready to meet my baby! After getting everything explained to me and I was in my gown walking to the ER, I suddenly started gushing blood out of nowhere! (sorry if TMI) so I don't know if that has anything to do with this but when I entered the OR and they hooked me up the anesthesiologist mentioned my heart rate was extremely high and asked if this was normal for me to which I replied I didn't think so. (just must have been extremely anxious and nervous again) I didnt realize this at the time but at that moment all the nurses started making small chat with me (which now I realize was to distract me and try to lower my heartrate) and the nurse who was aiding with the spintal tap chatted with me and let me lean my head on her shoulder while getting the spinal, and she rubbed my back. After getting the spinal my legs immediately went tingly and numb and I just got this all over warm feeling and ahhhh my heart rate lowered beautifully. After the spinal the whole experience just flew and was awesome! My anesthesiologist explained everything they were doing but not in gory detail, my husband came in and told me they had already begun cutting (HUGE surprise and relief, as I didn't feel a thing) hubby and I chatted away while they did the surgery, with me only feeling lots of pressure and tugging and pulling but no pain. Then after a few minutes the anesthesiologist says "Ok, get ready to feel a huge pull" which I did, and then crying! My baby was out! It was so surreal. And I was only 33 weeks so the sound of instant crying was amazing music to my ears. as he was premature I didnt get to hold him or see him right away as he was whisked away to the NICU, but my hubby did get to take a quick picture to show me. I agree with what some others have said, the stitching up is the longest part but you don't feel a thing, then they take you to recovery! I was up and walking within about 3-4 hours after (when I say walking I mean only to the bathroom and back, and very slowly.) But all in all it was fabulous. I loved my doctor and knew I was in the best hands going in, so I think that really helped. I have my repeat c-section on Thursday and I am really hoping it is as great as my last one! Good luck to you, everything will be fine! <3

I'm glad your baby was healthy and doing great at 33 weeks! Thanks so much for posting :flower: I hope mine goes as smoothly as everyone's!

Good luck at your c section!! It's coming up soon! :happydance:

I had a pretty good experience when it was all said and done...I had an OB appointment two days after my due date, had been having what felt like contractions for a few days, and they did an ultrasound..they estimated her at about 8lbs 5 oz, but since i had elevated BP and suddenly gained a bunch of weight, they sent me that afternoon to be induced.

We got to the hospital around 3:30pm, and i was excited and also nervous, because i was going to meet my little girl soon! they gave me the GBS antibiotics, and some sort of internal medication to soften the cervix (was only at 1cm)..my water broke at 8:15p that night, and i thought that it was going to progress from there, but even with manual manipulation and the medication (similar to cervidil) and the pitocin, i was having the right kind of contractions but wasnt dilating, and she wasnt having it if i laid on my right side...so at about 10p the next night my OB decided that a csection would be the best way to go...i was only allowed to have popsicles, and threw them up twice, once before the csection, then right before once they got me into the surgical suite...i shivered and shook so much, but then once they started it seemed like it went so fast...i didnt feel the pressure (i had an epidural already started before they decided on the csec) and before i knew it, she was out and glaring at the world :haha: afterward they stitched me internally, but used dermabond on the outside layer, so no external stitches. once they took me back to my labor room, they let me do skin to skin with her, then after about 2 hrs they came in and took measurments/ weight, etc, then took me up to post partum..

i ate the next morning normally, since i was able to tolerate liquids, they removed the catheter that day and i was able to get up and move around...was only taking advil because i thought thats all i had available to choose, and it managed the pain fine until the last day i was there...my incision was healing nice (it did get a small infection later)...the nurses were great, though i think everyone in the hospital got a look at my goods :blush: but at some point you just dont care anymore and everyone that comes in the room you're lifting the gown like "you want to see the incision, right?"..boy thats awkward for the people that bring the food trays... :wacko:

My advice, get up and move as soon as they let you, walk slow, take things easy, definitely follow the dr's orders and dont lift anything for the recommended time, and its ok to rely on other people to cook, etc...the laundry and the cleaning will be there when you are recovered :flower:

I had never had surgery, and have no idea what it was like as I was under a GA, my c-section was emergency. The recovery from general anaesthetic was difficult, and from the surgery generally - I won't go in to details. This might not seem like a positive story but here is the thing. My c-section meant that my daughter and I are alive today. Your c-section is likely happening for the safety of either you or your baby or both. And believe me, even if there are some issues with recovery, they pale into insignificance when you have your healthy wee bundle. Even if you can't pick them up for a while. We had no problems with bonding of feeding which is sometimes supposedly the case.

It is scary, but I just wanted to say that even if it isn't all plain sailing, the end product is well worth it.

I had a pretty good experience when it was all said and done...I had an OB appointment two days after my due date, had been having what felt like contractions for a few days, and they did an ultrasound..they estimated her at about 8lbs 5 oz, but since i had elevated BP and suddenly gained a bunch of weight, they sent me that afternoon to be induced.

We got to the hospital around 3:30pm, and i was excited and also nervous, because i was going to meet my little girl soon! they gave me the GBS antibiotics, and some sort of internal medication to soften the cervix (was only at 1cm)..my water broke at 8:15p that night, and i thought that it was going to progress from there, but even with manual manipulation and the medication (similar to cervidil) and the pitocin, i was having the right kind of contractions but wasnt dilating, and she wasnt having it if i laid on my right side...so at about 10p the next night my OB decided that a csection would be the best way to go...i was only allowed to have popsicles, and threw them up twice, once before the csection, then right before once they got me into the surgical suite...i shivered and shook so much, but then once they started it seemed like it went so fast...i didnt feel the pressure (i had an epidural already started before they decided on the csec) and before i knew it, she was out and glaring at the world :haha: afterward they stitched me internally, but used dermabond on the outside layer, so no external stitches. once they took me back to my labor room, they let me do skin to skin with her, then after about 2 hrs they came in and took measurments/ weight, etc, then took me up to post partum..

i ate the next morning normally, since i was able to tolerate liquids, they removed the catheter that day and i was able to get up and move around...was only taking advil because i thought thats all i had available to choose, and it managed the pain fine until the last day i was there...my incision was healing nice (it did get a small infection later)...the nurses were great, though i think everyone in the hospital got a look at my goods :blush: but at some point you just dont care anymore and everyone that comes in the room you're lifting the gown like "you want to see the incision, right?"..boy thats awkward for the people that bring the food trays... :wacko:

My advice, get up and move as soon as they let you, walk slow, take things easy, definitely follow the dr's orders and dont lift anything for the recommended time, and its ok to rely on other people to cook, etc...the laundry and the cleaning will be there when you are recovered :flower:

I hope my pain can be easily managed like yours! I think that's making me pretty nervous too. Thanks so much for sharing :flower:

I had never had surgery, and have no idea what it was like as I was under a GA, my c-section was emergency. The recovery from general anaesthetic was difficult, and from the surgery generally - I won't go in to details. This might not seem like a positive story but here is the thing. My c-section meant that my daughter and I are alive today. Your c-section is likely happening for the safety of either you or your baby or both. And believe me, even if there are some issues with recovery, they pale into insignificance when you have your healthy wee bundle. Even if you can't pick them up for a while. We had no problems with bonding of feeding which is sometimes supposedly the case.

It is scary, but I just wanted to say that even if it isn't all plain sailing, the end product is well worth it.

Thank you :) that's how I think of it.

I also had an EMCS after a failed induction due to cholestasis. I really wasn't concerned in the least...everyone was just so relaxed in the operating room, music on, I was talking to the anesthesiologist about books lol. I felt some tugging but no pain whatsoever and after a short while, the OB held up my baby girl! Amazing!
I had my csection on the Friday evening and was on my feet by the Sunday morning (went for a coffee on another floor), cleaning my house by the Wednesday and I drove my car the following Friday (I didn't know you weren't meant to!!!).
No issues with healing etc. I have a little scar that's nicely hidden by my knickers. I had no idea about csection prior to having one so I didn't know what to expect but I found it to be absolutely fine and wouldn't be at all upset if I had to have another in the future.

My only tip is don't look up at the lights because you get a bit of a mirror image and thou don't need to see that.

i had an extremely positive experience

i had an elective section at 38+5 with ds2 after a traumatic assisted delivery with ds1.

I was very very nervous the night before my section. I was admitted to the ward the night before for pre-op obs etc and had the surgeon come speak to me and the anaesthetist (although he was actually horrible telling me because of my size id probably need to be knocked out.. turn out he was just being a tit.. had diabeties and hadnt eaten properly that day so was taking it out on me). After tht the midwives sat with me for around 2 hours just chatting and going over any concerns i had and made sure i was comfortable and happy with everything. the surgeon had also gone over my birth plan and agreed to everything i wanted as long as baby and i were ok :D (i wanted a "natural section" you should be able to look it up on google)

On that morning i was asked to have a shower with some special anti-bac stuff to make sure i was nice and clean then gowned up. dh arrived at 8:30 and i was scheduled for 9am.. the surgeon was running a little late but we were led down at 9:15am to theatre where dh was taken to be gowned up and i was taken in for my spinal.. they were all lovely and the anaesthetists assistant was seriously lovely and kept making sure i was ok. That was all done in around 15 minutes and i was odwn on the bed. Dh was sat next to my head by this point. They sprayed some cold stuff up and down my body until i couldnt feel it all the way to my boobs. Then they started.. i didnt even know theyd begun till i felt tugging haha the midwife popped her head over and was like "oh they've started by the way" lol. Anyway pretty quickly they were saying "oh we have lots of hair" and ds2 was "stepped" out. This means he was brought out slowly head first then one shoulder and arm then the other and then slowly the rest of him was brought out.. the dropped the drape and lifted him straight up so i could see him <3 <3 :cloud9: they then waited 2 minutes before cutting the cord as per my request. He was then taken to the warming station where dh finished cutting the cord and he was weighed ect... he was wrapped up and brought to me. i was offered skin to skin straight away but because i have large boobs he couldnt fit :haha: so dh help him until he was taken through to recovery while they moved me off the theatre bed then i was taken through as well (10 mins separation at most). They quickly did my obs and hooked up another drip and then i was given ds2 for my skin to skin.. we bf straight away and stayed there for a while ( i should say he was born at 9:52).

I was back on the ward for 11:30ish.. i was violently sick from all the meds but they gave me some injections which helped. I was then made to move my legs around (which at the time i was still kind of numb and i thought she was being mean.. BUT its the best thing the midwife did). My mum was able to bring ds1 in at 1:30pm and he got to meet his little brother <3 <3

I was up on my feet by around 4pm to get cleaned up and then again at 7 for the same thing. I still had a catheter in as my urine output wasnt good enough to remove it. For the first night the midwives did all the lifting of ds2. 6am the next morning i asked for the catheter to be removed and they did and i was straight in the shower and felt like a new woman! From that point on i did everything myself :) I was a little stiff and found sleeping sitting up helped a lot! Keep up with your pain meds as that really really helps. I walked around all that day.. slowly but surely and even had to pick up ds1 after he went head first off the hospital bed whilst dh was cuddling ds2. 7am the morning after that i was up, dressed, packed and ready to go :haha: I was discharged etc and they gave me some exercises to do and then i got my taxi for 10am. (my mum came to help me to the taxi)... got home for 11am and walked straight down to pick ds1 up from nursery (usually 15/20 min walk took 30 but was so worth it). I was shopping the day after :) The only things i couldn't do were hoover or lift the pram up the stairs (I live in a block).

I cant fault my section in any way shape or form and i healed fantastically :D

you should have a choice on how you want closing up too .. i.e staples, single stitches, continuous stitch etc.. I chose the beaded stitch (so its just one big long stitch with a bead at each end) and had no pain from it apart from a little where the beads rubbed but as soon as that started it was time for them to come out :D It tickled like hell getting them out i must add but 2 seconds and it was done.

hope this helps some hun and good luck for your section <3 xx

Thanks so much everyone for your stories!!! These are really helping my anxiety. Only 3 days left!!

Good luck Hun!! Everything is going to go well!! Can't wait to hear your birth story!! So excited for you!!

Good luck! I've had 2 wonderful c-sections 17 months apart! It goes quickly, and once you have the spinal (which is quick, and doesn't hurt too much at all), you basically get to kick back under warm blankets and wait for the moment when your LO is lifted from you! I was shaky from the anesthesia both times, but they can give you medicine through your IV to control that. Recovery w/my first child was hard, and it's been a breeze the second time around!

Good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"