potatoes during pregnancy bad??

russiangirl88

Reaction score
so ive been eating alot of potatoes.... and looked it up online and i am getting mixed info about them causing diabetes in your child, etc. has anyone ever heard of potatoes being bad during pregnancy?

I have never head of them being bad! I know you have to wash them really good bacause of the risk of toxoplasmosis (sp?) but I have only ever heard they are good during pregnancy to help keep your energy levels up.

:shrug: not one I've come across.... maybe try to eat them in moderation? xx

Potatoes aren't exactly nutritious and do elevate your insulin levels almost as much as sugar does, maybe that's what whoever said this is thinking of? your body is already working hard to produce enough insulin for you and baby (not being able to do this is what causes gestational diabetes)
However, if you're a normal person with a normal metabolism i wouldn't worry about it too much and i can't see how it would cause diabetes in your baby as until it's born it isn't doing any insulin producing working anyway
It's only the lovely ladies like me who had PCOS and therefore Hyperinsulinemia who have to be uber uber careful in 'normal' life anyway who should be worried. maybe. i personally only have to look at a potato to put on weight so i've cut them out and bread anyway x x

phew! that makes me feel better, right now they are about the only thing i can keep down in the mornings. every little thing i hear i freak, want smoothe sailing for baby and i!

Never heard of it, but all I want this lately is roast potatoes.... Mmmm

you could find someone saying anything on google if you looked hard enough.

Noooooo I hope this is not the case as I love jacket pots at the moment and mash.

Hope not! I'm addicted to mashed potatoes!!! :haha:

I hope not I've been eating lots of jackets and mash!

I've never heard anything about potatoes being bad, but if you're worried about it - try sweet potatoes. They are chalk full of amazing nutrients and SOO good for you. They offer much more than regular potatoes. I've been eating them like crazy, cut up with a little salt and pepper and baked in the oven. SO good, no need for butter or sour cream or anything else.

<Wow - I just realized that I'm cracking out over sweet potatoes>

It's recommended for us to eat the skin, too, since that's where the bulk of the potato's nutrition is. After a good scrubbing, of course!

I should not have read this thread because now I want to eat potatoes! Fingers crossed there are some in the cupboard, I'm not feeling the Mae West today, don't fancy hauling myself to Tesco!

Oh, and nothing I've read has suggested that Potatoes could be bad for baby. I've even seen them down as something you should eat before bed to keep your stomach full to stop your MS from waking you up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->