Potential induction at 41 weeks... ?

Surreal

Me + Little Man = Family.
Reaction score
This has to do with natural birthing, I promise. ;)

So, I want to be as natural in the birthing process as possible -- I'm going to a hospital that is natural birth friendly, which is great for me! Being my first, I'm a little too paranoid of complications to go attempting it without a few nurses or doctors within shouting distance. ;)

Anyways, as you can see by my ticker, it's my due date! And it is quickly passing me by. My doctor has offered to induce me at 41 weeks, to keep me a bit ahead of the holiday season, as I'm not necessarily okay with poor baby's birthday being *that* close to Christmas. But, I obviously can consider stalling and being induced at the last minute on the 20th.

My question for some of you ladies is... how many of you passed your due date, but were able to go into labor on your own? I'm debating between just being induced on the 41st week(Which, from what I heard, makes attempting natural birth *much* more difficult. :( ), or stalling to the 42nd. But at the same time, I'm going, "If my chances of going into labor are minimal between now and 42 weeks... why wait?"

So... just a little advice, please, ladies? Right now, I have had *no* progression. No cramping, no contractions, no effacement, no dilation... I am quickly losing faith that I am going to be able to have a birth without the help of drugs... :cry:

If you give your body chance it will be very likely to go in to labour by 42 weeks. ALL my babies were born after their due date! First babies are nearly ALWAY born way past their due date. The doctor is suggesting a date for convenience not for the health and safety of the baby.
Induction is not without risks - not my a long stretch so as tempting as it is to have your baby here sooner rather than later, make sure you understand the implications.

https://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1047180/the_lie_of_the_edd_why_your_due_date.html?cat=25

https://midwifethinking.com/2010/09/16/induction-of-labour-balancing-risks/

Thank you very much for your response, I actually read through those articles before I went to my doctor's appt. today, and decided to tell him I wanted to stall my induction until my 42nd week.

I shocked him, as apparently, I am the *first* woman to ask for it to be stalled. :haha:

My doctor's appt.'s are being increased to twice a week until my 42nd week, and I'm getting an ultrasound each visit to check baby size and placental maturity. Save for medical reasons, he's allowing me to stall off my induction! :happydance:

Now just to cross my fingers and hope my baby gets a move on, before it's too late!

Thank you very much for your response, I actually read through those articles before I went to my doctor's appt. today, and decided to tell him I wanted to stall my induction until my 42nd week.

I shocked him, as apparently, I am the *first* woman to ask for it to be stalled. :haha:

My doctor's appt.'s are being increased to twice a week until my 42nd week, and I'm getting an ultrasound each visit to check baby size and placental maturity. Save for medical reasons, he's allowing me to stall off my induction! :happydance:

Now just to cross my fingers and hope my baby gets a move on, before it's too late!

That's so good to hear!! I'm glad you have a doctor who isn't more worried about his christmas schedule than your baby :) Hope you pop soon hun! :hugs:

gonna stalk you a little if you don't mind! i'm due on saturday with my 1st LO and don't see it coming anytime soon. if she isn't here by 41 weeks, i'll get a biophysical done and midwife said at 38 wk appointment that induction at 41.5 weeks would be likely. as my birth is planned all natural in a birth center environment, i really don't fancy that idea as induction would mean going to the hospital and to be honest, i don't feel comfy there. today was actually my 1st time in a US hospital when i was visiting a friend and everything was so different and i was a little scared, although i was just visiting... :blush:

please keep us updated how things are going and fingers crossed that LO decides to come on its own for you & you get your natural birth! :flower:

The chances of you going into labour naturally increases with each passing day!

Well, it looks like I'm in good shape, so far... been having cramps/tightenings since Wednesday night, and I went in to my doctor's appt. today and I've got some progression going! :happydance: Oddly, there is dilation, but the effacement isn't as progressed. Doctor figures I have a good chance of this weekend, or early next week.

So, I might be going into labor when they wanted to induce me originally, anyways! :haha:

@Mincholada - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that your able to have the birth that your wanting! They can't force you to be induced, and unless there is a good medical reason for it, you can refuse induction like I did. Don't let them intimidate you into doing what you don't want -- it's your baby and your body, after all, and you know what's best!

Well, it looks like I'm in good shape, so far... been having cramps/tightenings since Wednesday night, and I went in to my doctor's appt. today and I've got some progression going! :happydance: Oddly, there is dilation, but the effacement isn't as progressed. Doctor figures I have a good chance of this weekend, or early next week.

So, I might be going into labor when they wanted to induce me originally, anyways! :haha:

@Mincholada - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that your able to have the birth that your wanting! They can't force you to be induced, and unless there is a good medical reason for it, you can refuse induction like I did. Don't let them intimidate you into doing what you don't want -- it's your baby and your body, after all, and you know what's best!

ooh exciting stuff - keep us updated good luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"