Potentially stupid question...

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by Learnermum, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Learnermum

Learnermum Well-Known Member

Ok, so in the last couple of days we have started giving dd her first food (1 meal a day).

The question is do I need to give her water with her meals even though she is bf? Also the weather is starting to heat up (high 80s F) now so should she be getting water because of the heat too?

Thanks x

2. lynne192

lynne192 mum 2 James & Libby

water wont hurt but the breast milk should be enough could even express and give her that. breast milk changes with the temp and such but getting baby use to water early can be a good thing... best of luck x

3. hivechild

hivechild Mummy to Ronan

It's not necessary if you let her breastfeed on demand at this age. As the PP said, BM has a high water content so she will quench her thirst by being allowed to nurse whenever she wants it. That being said, offering a little water with meals from around 6 months won't hurt. Just be careful she doesn't drink too much of it and it impacts how much she eats or nurses.

4. Learnermum

Learnermum Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies, I'll offer her a couple of oz of water in a cup and see whether any actuall ends up in her and if she ends up wearing it then no harm done!

5. starrybean

starrybean Proud Mom of One

Omg, if you think this is a potentially stupid question you should see some of the ones I've asked :haha: Good job people on here are nice enough to answer :thumbup:

I don't bf but I offer water just to try and get my lo used to a cup, plus weaning has made her a little constipated, so I'm trying the water before the prunes :haha: