Potty Training

Discussion in 'Kids & Teenagers' started by mrso, Apr 23, 2009.

1. mrso

mrso Lovin my Family

Apparently I need help. I have been trying to potty train my son since December when he was 2 1/2. He is now almost 3 and we have made no progress. I have tried the reward system with candy, books, stickers, fish... you name it. He knows what he is doing because I will ask him if he needs to go potty and he says no, runs to the other room, and pees in his uderwear. Most of the time I have him in pull-ups but yesterday I put him in cotton underwear. He refused to use the toilet all day and soiled his underwear at least 6 times.

What do I do? How do I get this accomplished? I am getting really frustrated!!!

2. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

First thing is don't make a huge deal out of it, if you get frustrated he will get frustrated. Or he will realize he has the power to control how you react with it, make it all positive. If he has an accident, no big deal. Wht worked for my boys was letting them go naked, not in underwear, pull ups or diapers. We put the potty where they could see and it would remind them, I tried not to ask them too often because then it just annoyed them. There were some accidents but nothing that couldn't be cleaned up, it wasn't a big deal. We did it at 2 1/2 with my oldest and it took a week at home naked and he was day time trained, he didn't do nighttime until almost 3. For Casen he fully day and night trained at 25mo.

3. mrso

mrso Lovin my Family

I have never thought of the going naked trick. Might have to do that. He did good today. He only had 2 accidents and I didnt react to them at all. Just did tons of hi-fives and rewards for going on the potty. He does great at night... hasnt had an accident in at least 6 months during the night. I just dont know how to get him to tell me he has to go.

Thanks for the advice.

4. mrso

mrso Lovin my Family

My only concern is that I babysit my neice who is the same age and whenever he is naked around her they talk about his winkie. Today he said mom my name is James Winkie. I was like ummmm ok.

5. ablaze

ablaze lucky mum of one of each!

my son will be 3 in august and he is not yet potty trained, it could be that your son is not ready yet, my can stay dry and do wees in his potty, but wont poo in it, he is dry all day at nursery, its just been a long and slow process!

maybe take a break from it for 2 weeks and try again? i know how stressfull it is

6. mrso

mrso Lovin my Family

my son will tell us when he goes and is getting better about poo in the toilet but no consistancy. I am sure we will get there one day!!

7. Dizzy321

Dizzy321 very proud mammy to 3!

I agree with the going naked bit and leave his potty where he can see it so it prompts him this is what we did with Jack...he is totally clean during the day...took a while to get him to poo on the big boy toilet but with lots of praise he did it one day and now he asks everyday to have a poo on toilet :) just the night time to crack now...he still wears pull ups and he used to poo in them every night but now he goes to loo before bed the nappy is only wet on a morning.....think he will do nights ok just need to put undies on him and see how it goes :) good luck x