Prawn cocktail at Christmas

Pluto13

Reaction score
We're going to the in-laws at Christmas and MIL always does Prawn Cocktail to start.
I dont want them to suss that Im pregnant yet so is it ok to eat this or not?

I've tried googling but I dont get any straight answers...

I was told no prawns by my midwife and gp, so would stay clear if possible.. have you tried the nhs website, they have some really good food advice on there.

um they do say to avoid shell fish but I have been eating prawns but nothing else, Its down to the sickness more than anything x

if they have been pre cooked its ok, its because usually prawns are raw thats why they say avoid.

Yep - if shes bought them pre-cooked you will be fine hun, if shes bought them raw i would avoid them x

God how will I know then, Im guessing it will just be precooked frozen prawns...
How will I get out of this one?

I wont be drinking so saying I dont want my prawn cocktail when I usually gobble it up is going to give it away I think!

say you have an upset tum too much pop the night before and your feeling a little delicate

you will be fine as cooked through and frozen so will kill the bacteria i have a book that says prawns are ok

go gobble x

Cool! thats a great one about the night before, I'll pretend I was out on the drink :) so cant touch a drop today hee hee! you girls are GOOD!

Right so should be fine all go with the prawns :) phewy!

Shell fish is fine as long as it's cooked through. Prawns are fine and noone should eat raw prawns pregnant or not so you shouldn't find raw prawns served to eat anywhere!!

Shell fish like oysters are eaten raw and therefore it is this type that you should avoid.

I will be enjoying my prawn cocktail christmas day guilt free! xxxx

I definitely would! yum!!

Yeah I never heard of anyone eating raw prawns? yuk...I think people sometimes mistake 'cold' for raw :)

Prawn cocktail is made with RAW prawns so please aviod this. Just tell her you had a bad experience with prawns recently and it's put you off.

X

Prawn cocktail is made with RAW prawns so please aviod this. Just tell her you had a bad experience with prawns recently and it's put you off.

X

hmmm...don't think so. Raw prawns are grey and kind of translucent in color, cooked prawns are a pinkish/orangy color and opaque. Prawn cocktail is cooked then chilled...hence the pink color.

You don't eat raw prawns in prawn cocktail, so you'll be fine.

REALLY, so when making prawn cocktail, you defrost the prawns and add to the mixture.....maybe we make it different in Scotland!

REALLY, so when making prawn cocktail, you defrost the prawns and add to the mixture.....maybe we make it different in Scotland!

Yes, but if they are pink then they are cooked. Whether or not they are frozen.

Sorry ladies I'm not being rude, but had to laugh at the raw prawn debate, and now feel slightly sick at the thought of the grey raw prawns covered in cocktail sauce!

I had prawn cocktail at my work xmas dinner, as long as they're pink, they're cooked. I've never ever known anyone to serve up raw prawns in a prawn cocktail or otherwise!

Unless you have a black prawn cocktail then no you don't make it differently. Any pink prawns have been cooked through at some stage and are fine to eat cold. It's like having cold chicken when it's been cooked through you wouldn't call that raw xxx

Hello hun

Just popped over from second tri as i know everyone loves their cocktail at christmas,

It is perfectly fine to eat cooked peeled prawns, as long as they are really fresh ie just bought or the frozen type. Due to mercury levels its advisable that you do not eat more than 10oz per week.

You cannot eat raw prawns. You can tell, as they are grey in colour, and cooked are that nice pink colour.

Enjoy your cocktail sweetheart!

D xx

Sorry meant as in already cooked then defrosted, when saying raw I meant you aren't cooking them.

So left me just clarify, prawns which have been COOKED then DEFROSTED have a higher risk of listeria etc, this is due to them getting warm when defrosting ( whilst cooking xmas dinner the temp in the kitchen will be high and the same in a restaurant,, this helps the bug breed!

I was pregnant last xmas and was told by my MW to aviod this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->