Pre eclampsia question

Discussion in 'Gestational Complications' started by curlykate, Dec 26, 2009.

1. curlykate

curlykate Devin's Mommy

Okay, so I've had a pretty great pregnancy so far. My BP has been normal (can't remember the numbers, but normal), I've only gained 20 lbs, and it's been a slow and steady gain. No puffyness or swelling at all, and very little back pain. Also I only had very mild morning sickness in the first trimester, and only threw up a few times.
    Suddenly I have a bit of a headache (it's constant, but not horribly painful), a bit of nausea, and body aches. I also have massivly swollen hands, fingers, toes, feet ankles, and my face is a little puffy (although not that bad). I also haven't been peeing as much lately, but it's only been a marginal decrease.
    I'm not overly worried, but I don't know whether I should wait until my next OB appointment, or maybe call in and ask to be checked out. My next appointment in on Jan 7th, which is 2 and a half weeks away. However, my mother has a history of preeclampsia, really bad with all 3 of us, and my sister had mild preeclampsia with one of her children.
    What do you guys think?

2. jenniferannex

jenniferannex Well-Known Member

i think u should ring to get it checked just in case, only because your mum has had it, my mum had it and they have been keeping an eye on me as i keep getting head aches and things, its better to get it checked out i think just to be on the safe side, and even though ur symptons arnt that bad, they are still symptons of pre-eclampsia, im sure everything will be fine but if it was me i would go, or just take them a sample in and they can check for protein in your urine as thats one of the main symptoms. hope all is good =) xxx

3. diane60f

diane60f Well-Known Member

i would recommend buying a blood pressure machine and use it every day. that's what i'm doing to monitor my b/p.

just to ease your mind a bit, swelling isn't considered a 'symptom' or 'precursor' to preeclampsia anymore.(my doc told me this)

swelling is just so common, sudden, and flucuates too much to be a 'symptom'

but on another note i would definitely call your doc because of your mom's history.

whats the worse that could happen if you call?
    keep your chin up, everything will be fine. :)

4. ktsl123

ktsl123 Well-Known Member

Not peeing as much is definitly a bad sign. It's a sign your kidneys are not working well, which is a sign of severe preeclampcia. I would get to the er if I was you if al is ok definitly get a Blood pressure monitor and keep a log daily.

5. ktsl123

ktsl123 Well-Known Member

Also preeclampica can happen very sudden.

6. MiissMuffet

MiissMuffet Well-Known Member

headaches nausia and aches are commen in pregnancy i'm not sure about the other ones tho x