Pre packed salads/sandwichs...whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by LaDY, Dec 20, 2009.

1. LaDY

LaDY Mummy Of Two xx

For the last 2 days we have been out longer than expected so not having planned little mans lunch if out on Friday i ended up running into Sainsburys and going to their fresh salad bar and getting LO one...and yesterday again for the same reason i ended up running into Boots and getting him a pre packed pasta with tuna and sweetcorn...is this ok?...i prefer to feed him fresh food but id rather he eat something than nothing...what do you think?? x

2. isil

isil Well-Known Member

I think they're Ok...better than a pasty from greggs (and I actually think they're ok too as an ocassional thing)

The only thing that concerns me is the salt levels in prepacked foods and the stuff they use to keep them fresh. I tend to get Alasdair a little bread roll and try to remember to take a few slices of cheese. He has them as a snack if we're not out over lunch then I just buy him some fruit to top him up. I dunno about the salad bar, probably pretty good for him but I dunno what they use to keep it looking fresh?

Not saying Ally doesn't have prepacked things sometimes! Yesterday I wanted him to have something hot (and cheap) so he had a sausage roll :dohh: prepacked sandwich would've been much healthier lol.

3. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

totally agree with you hon - i think it's all about moderation :) maddi has all different things, mainly i cook all her food, from scratch with fresh ingredients, but of course, she has pre-packed things too. i agree, as long as it's not too high in salt, and it's in moderation i think it's perfectly fine honey :)

4. nievesmama

nievesmama Proud mum of 3 xx

Im with the others.
    As long as its in moderation its fine. Many times ive been out and ive bought mine a sausage roll etc as they are hungry. The only down fall is the amount of salt in them but as its only evrey now and then i dont worry to much xx

5. tasha41

tasha41 Mum & Dad + 1

I think in moderation is fine, not like you are feeding him that all day everyday! :) Plus that would be in my mind a healthy choice compared to a lot of take out items like fries and burgers etc :)

6. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

I agree with Tasha :thumbup:

7. Whisper

Whisper Mummy to DD & DS

Yup i have done this before. When in town i often buy Amelia an egg sandwich from Marks and Spencers if we are out for a while.

8. LaDY

LaDY Mummy Of Two xx

Thanks guys for the reassuarance...:hugs: xx

9. suzib76

suzib76 Well-Known Member

i would say it depends on how old the lo is tbh, i wouldnt give it to an under 1, but over that i would reckon it to be ok sometimes - i usually ran to mcdonalds for some chicken nuggets lol

10. candeur

candeur Well-Known Member

I thinnk as long as it's not too often it's fine.
    I've gotten Seren a chicken nugget happy meal with a fruit bag and milk on occasion, because the salt content in pre packed sandwiches is normally higher. I think there's only 0.4g of salt per portion of chicken nuggets in mcds:)