Pre school and learning to share

Librastar2828

Reaction score
My 2year old has just started pre school and we are in his fourth week. His key worker had a chat about him settling in and brought up an issue of him not being very good at sharing with others. He gets upset when others take things from him or when he is maxed to share. Isn't this typical of a 2yr old? The whole reason I sent him in the first place was to learn things like this before starts nursery next year and school the year after. I'm aware all new starters probably have observation sheets ect but felt a it like my ds was being singled out and as though only he doesn't share

He tends to push kids as well which I have been having trouble with and they have picked up on it also.. His speech isn't great and therefore he can get a bit frustrated and confused.

I know he is very young and I don't want to pull him out as he has to learn at some point and thought this was the best place. Just feel like he is maybe the only one like this and all the others are model well behaved children. I'm probably being over paranoid but as I'm not there it's hard to see what he is like.. Also any tips how to help him?

I can guarantee that the rest of the children wont be well behaved model kids!
Your sons key person is probably just telling you this is what she has observed, I mean, its not the norm for a 2 yr old to be sharing.. some might be more tolerant than others but I dont think they understand the concept.
I will try and find my eyfs later and see what it says regarding sharing. But the nursery will have all the tools and knowledge to help your son start to share.. they havent said its a problem have they?

I thought it was normal too. Do they not just let the kids sort it out themselves and intervene if it gets silly?

I think its totally the norm for 2yrs not to be sharing (unless its half chewed food which they then happily want to shove in your mouth :rofl: :dohh: ) George started preschool beginning of September so about the same time, and its only very recently he has started saying 'your turn' and he will let you look at his toy or book etc, but not happy to actually let it go and let me/ his brother actually share it with him! Its just something they learn in time :) xx

I've just had a parents meeting with my dd key worker yesterday.. She is 2yr 10months and I got told that at this age they don't know how to share and will learn that as the weeks go on and that most children this age will play along side other kids but not join in just yet. She only does one morning a week at the moment but next term will be doing two and they hoping to see her interact with others a little more. She's only being going since middle of September so a few weeks.. She's doing so well and now when she goes and plays with my little brother who is 4, She keeps telling him to share his toys! When we told the key worker she said that's an insight of what they workers must constantly be saying to the kids.. And laughed!

I really wouldn't be worried that he's not learnt it just yet he's still very young, I don't think its very proffesional for his key worker to say that to you.. He's there to learn things like this and she should be helping him do that!

It's normal if he isn't used to it - lo is really good and this is down to the way nursery handles is - if it turns into an argument between the children they take it away completely

Niamh has always been fantastic at sharing at nursery and at other people's houses but at home all hell breaks loose.

If he was sharing wonderfully, they'd probably tell you that too! They just tell you what they see - you probably already know it anyway but they tell you just in case. It's nothing to do with being singled out, they just tell you what's going on. We had our first parent-key worker meeting of the year today. My daughter's key worker told me how chatty and sociable she is this year, how she's confident and happy to help the new kids etc. Last year at our first meeting, she told me LO was shy and not keen to join in... just what's happening. Try not to take it badly, they know what's normal and they would have told you if it wasn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->