pre-school - anyone else...?

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
Does anyone else find the whole 9-12 pre-school sessions a real chore? Maybe I was spoiled, as Earl's old school used to do full school days 9-3 and he did 2 days a week. Now he does 3 mornings a week at his new one. It takes 20-25 minutes each way to walk there and back, so we lose an hour at each end of the day effectively. He enjoys it, but it's not awesome and he's bored so I'm teaching him numbers, letters and writing at home on an evening. I've kept him at home today for no other reason than I needed to get on with some housework and then take them to the shops this afternoon for some bits and pieces and if he'd gone to school I wouldn't have been able to get anything done. On top of that Eddy likes to nap late morning. If we're on the school run his nap is disturbed or he doesn't get it at all which means it's a long day for everyone, or he has to sleep in the afternoon which puts bedtime out. The only one who seems ok with the whole thing is Charlie, but even his nap/bottle times seem to be timed for just after the school runs so most times the walk back is accompanied by him crying (he wont take a top up before we go- I've tried and even if he does, an hour is a long time when you're 7 weeks and he's usually either over-stimulated/hungry/both by the time we get back. He does sleep most of it, but he's getting older now and he is waking up for the journey more and more.

Tbh, I'm that hacked off (bear in mind it's been 4 weeks now and it's not getting any easier/better - if anything each week gets worse hence today's bunk-off lol) that I'm considering moving him back to his old school or even taking him out completely but I'm very aware that he starts full time next year and he needs to get used to the routine and the time away to build up some stamina. I just can't bring myself to increase his days and there's no option to do afternoons at this school. There also isn't one closer, and there isn't the option to drive. I'm even thinking maybe I could give him to our lovely CM one of the days so she has him for the full day 8-4 and does drop off there, just so the babies and I get a break. :shrug: It wouldn't cost much, and he'd love it, but it feels very selfish. :shrug:

Am I alone in this?

That does sound a chore esp when you have another 2 children to consider.

What was the reason you moved schools in the first place?

That does sound a chore esp when you have another 2 children to consider.

What was the reason you moved schools in the first place?

His old school was in town (a bus ride away) and also all his friends were leaving to go on to reception. He was literally the only 3yo left. I moved him thinking he would make friends with people who live closer and would be likely to go on to reception with him, plus I (now I realise misguidedly) thought that being closer to home and walking distance would be easier. I think it would be, if it was a longer time between runs or if I didn't have a double pushchair fully laden to lug around. It's certainly getting me fit! lol :haha:

I guess I just needed a moan. We've had a nice day today, all together, which I think is what was needed. Back to school tomorrow.

Ah!
I'd give moving him back some serious consideration esp as he is bored so his new one maybe isn't right for him, any you are coming into winter so the walk could be a long one.

When I went back to work 3 mornings after having LO I found it a nightmare -killed 3 days out of my week and my afternoons were pointless. 2 full days worked much better for me.

LOL!

No, I am totally with you. I completely find it a chore. He is in 8.45-11.45 5 mornings per week. Granted, we don't live far but it's just always a rush to get out. He likes to take his time in the morning too so I hate having to push him out the door. And then by the time I get back, get other LO organised, there isn't much time for us to do anything.

Last year he was in 9-1 just a couple of mornings per week and it was just so much more productive for everyone. He got rest days, I got decent quality time with my other LO and then we had off days to do the fun stuff. I did want to see if there was the option to do a few longer days and have a few off instead (there is the option, but I don't think there is the space) but OH didn't want to muck his schedule around again.

He is actually off this week anyway as he had a bit of a cough & under the weather. The mornings are much nicer :)

Ah!
I'd give moving him back some serious consideration esp as he is bored so his new one maybe isn't right for him, any you are coming into winter so the walk could be a long one.

When I went back to work 3 mornings after having LO I found it a nightmare -killed 3 days out of my week and my afternoons were pointless. 2 full days worked much better for me.

I don't think I can move him back (friend of mine still has her LO there and she said they're full) but I'm tempted to ask the question. I have considered dropping him to 2 mornings (instead of Tues/Wed/Thurs, just doing Tues/Thurs) as I think the days break in the middle may help, then maybe next term change to Mon/Wed/Fri if I need or want to increase his hours :shrug:

Gosh Darn it....thought I'd got it all sorted. I'm very aware that this is my last year at home with him, so don't want him to go more than 3 days a week anyway, and I think maybe that may be the solution.

Thanks ladies,

Jenny - I can't imagine doing this 5 mornings a week....that would be torture for me!

I suppose I wouldn't have known unless I've tried. I can only change him once or twice but the school are very understanding. I have to do what's right for all 4 of us I suppose, and I wont make the mistake of the mornings thing with the other 2, it's all day or nothing! :blush::haha:

This is why River does 3 5 hour days, im not looking forward to the preschool + school drop off next year.

Your post has just prompted me to email and ask if there were any afternoon slots available. It might be worth it just to see. If there were it would mean he would have 1/2 days off and we can do fun things or just relax.

My Lo does really enjoy his school and he gets a lot out of it, but it just is very tiring for him.

Yes, I will also not make this mistake with the other LOs!

Different situation I know because I work 3 days and Tom does these days at preschool 8 till 5pm but I love the fact we get 2 whole days together to do whatever we fancy. I'm not looking forward to having to get him to school 5 days a week instead!

Those hours sound a total pain for you Aimee-Lou - tbh I never understand the point of such short sessions for 3+ year olds. They've just got settled into playing with their friends and it's time to go home.

We have been doing 9am to 12 five days a week since September. She loves her nursery (it is a Montessori one) and is happy there.

However, since LO was born it has been harder. This is the first week I've had to get her there and back - 5 min in the car. The baby hates the car and screams all the way. It is a 30 min walk which I'd happily do but I live at the top of a huge hill and DD1 would never make it home. So it's a battle in and out of the car.

I am sure we will get there. I have kept her with her childminder two afternoons a week to give me two days with her out all day. This has really helped her as sh gets to see her second mummy and life is 'normal'. I think she gets a great education at the childminder. She has to share, lean manners, go on outings etc... So I recommend that.

My LO needs to be occupied so being out at nursery works for us as she won't play on her own at home and gets frustrated mummy is feeding the baby.

I just can't believe they are starting school next year! Surely they are still babies - I remember them from baby club first tie around

My DS goes from 9.15 to 12.15 5 days a week and we are a 5 minute walk away. I love it. Myself and DD get quality time and DS loves pre-school.

My DD does 12-3 5 days a week an hour round trip twice a day :( the school is a 20 minute walk but the pace DD walks lol I never put her down for mornings because of the stress of getting her ready and out the door for 8 am bad enough I'll have to do it next year but DS will be older by then

Eeewkkkkk sounds awful!! You know what to do ladies next time round - order twins!! Two boys one pre-school all done!

Seriously though I would try and make it work for you as this is the last year that you will have any choice in the matter. My boys do two mornings and one full day but it's easy for me as I don't have any others to consider and we get two days off too. Xx

Eeewkkkkk sounds awful!! You know what to do ladies next time round - order twins!! Two boys one pre-school all done!x

I've tried putting my order in via cyper mail but it doesn't seem to be working! Either the message isn't getting there or the courier just keeps getting lost :nope: Can't imagine Amiee-Lou will fancy trying to get 5 kids out the door in the morning!:haha:

Seriously twins just sound great fun (with a load of hard work) and my only chance of a family of 3. I would love 3 kids but my age means I really only have time for one more pregnancy and the way things are going I'll be lucky to get a family of 2 never mind 3.

Eeewkkkkk sounds awful!! You know what to do ladies next time round - order twins!! Two boys one pre-school all done!x

I've tried putting my order in via cyper mail but it doesn't seem to be working! Either the message isn't getting there or the courier just keeps getting lost :nope: Can't imagine Amiee-Lou will fancy trying to get 5 kids out the door in the morning!:haha:

Seriously twins just sound great fun (with a load of hard work) and my only chance of a family of 3. I would love 3 kids but my age means I really only have time for one more pregnancy and the way things are going I'll be lucky to get a family of 2 never mind 3.

Ha ha - you just made me laugh so loud it made Charlie jump lol :haha:

I wanted twins each time....just got one whacking great big one instead lol :blush: - I've chatted it over with hubby and he's said exactly what you said Vicky - to make it work as this is the last year I'll get a choice. I'm knocking him down to 2 mornings after half term (or maybe before but that's only 2 weeks) and then we'll go from there. Just got to decide which 2 days now lol :wacko:

Thanks for the reassurance....I seemed to be the only person moaning about it. All the other mums barr 1 seemed to be quite happy to do this (then again they're all just the 1 child!) with only one other mum who has an older boy at the primary next door so does the same run at 8.30, 11.30 and 2.30 every day. She is up the road from me, so the same distance to walk. That would truly drive me barmy! :wacko:

History_girls - yes, yes they are still babies! lol. Earl likes being at home. We go out or do activities every afternoon and have a good routine even with the baby (had the whole summer to perfect it lol) and now we're all off kilter. Think Earl's used to me seeing to others too.....Eddy is very demanding at times! lol :haha:

Don't blame me for making him jump Vicky was the one who suggested getting your order in for twins!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->