Pre-school - at what age and for how long?

MrsHedgehog

Reaction score
The time is coming close where I have the option to have a free nursery place for LO (enrolment is in December for the school year 2014/2015). LO would be almost 3 when starting in September next year. We live in Italy and children here go to preschool from the age of 3, 5 days a week from 8am until 2pm. To me this seems like far too much - for LO to go from being at home with me or with grandparents when I work to 5 mornings a week at school. There is no option, as far as I'm aware, for them to go for only a couple of mornings a week. It's either they go full time of not at all. I work in the afternoons so I'd be at home alone every morning twiddling my thumbs then LO would be with her grandparents in the afternoons while I work - I'd never see her! Is it just me or is this just way too much time at school for a 3 year old? It's not compulsory but most kids here go from when they're 3. I don't want LO to miss out on preschool but this just seems like too much IMO. What would you do? How often to do your LOs go to preschool/nursery?

My DD started at 3.5 years old and I wouldn't have sent her any sooner. She goes one day per week for 5 hours.

Tom has done 3 days of 8.15 to 5pm at nursery and now preschool from 22 months while I work. He was tired when he was younger but since moving up to the preschool at 3 he has really enjoyed it and loves going.

I don't think 8 till 2 sounds like a long day though having to do it 5 days a week might be a lot to start with. Could you start her and then pull her out if she found it too much?

My boys started at 3 and 3 months they went two mornings 9-12pm. This term they are doing and extra day all day (they start school next year so it's to get them used to all day away)

For me this has worked out the perfect build up to full time school next year

My oldest started the term after her third birthday and goes 5 mornings a week, 8.45-11.45am. She really enjoys it, she asked to go rather than me suggesting it, and she gets a lot from it. 8am-2pm does sound like a very long day, nearly a full school day but I guess it's just an earlier start and staying for lunch? How does LO feel about going? You could try it and see how it goes, or wait until he's a bit older. I know my 2 year old is desperate to go to nursery but that's because she drops her sister off with me... she cries to stay regularly :(

Some nurseries here do the 15 free hours over 3 longer days instead of 5 short ones, so they have must have similar length days to what you get there, although only over 3 days. With my LO I think it's better to go 5 days as she loves it but if it wasn't every day she would get out of the swing of things - she's a big fan of routine!

If there's only the option to go for the morning, could you switch your work hours so you're at home in the afternoons? I wouldn't send LO if you have to work afternoons. You could also ask the school if it's possible to pick LO up before lunch instead perhaps. You could also ask what their settling in procedures are like. They don't do it for nursery as it's only a few hours, but I know the Reception kids here get a few weeks of shorter days to ease them into it, so they may be able to do something like that and continue with shorter days if that suits your LO better.

Dd1 started pre-school at 2yrs 8months for two 3 hour afternoon sessions. At 3 she started nursery five afternoons, once again 3 sessions. Dd2 will start pre-school when dd1 starts full time school and I'm planning on sending her for one full day - I work Friday and Saturday nights and I am planning to add another night.

ETA - sorry pressed send too soon! That does seem a lot I know dd1 would not have handled that very well!

Do they have to be there at 8 on the dot? LO has a place 5 days a week from 7.30am to 4.30pm but he's usually only there from 9am to 3.30pm. He's 2 yo and it's enough for him at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->