Pregnancy a Reason for Medical Extension on College Deadlines?

dreamingbyday

Reaction score
Since I got pregnant, I've been extremely stressed, not eating well, and not sleeping (recently stayed up mostly all night for work x.x). I know its not good and there are times where I start to cramp when I'm working on a stressful deadline. It makes me scared :/ I have one week left at this current stressful job but its going to be a crazy one with lots of work and no help from spouse with toddler. Would it be completely crazy for a lady who is 6 weeks pregnant to get doctor's approval for a medical extension under these circumstances? I know there are women who do it all and everything and I'm totally jealous of you. I'm just a little scared because I do start to cramp when I'm stressing about these deadlines and I've had such a difficult time getting pregnant :/

It doesn't hurt to ask. I knew people who got extensions for things live death in the family/depression/dyslexia. I remember thinking to myself when I was in high-school,ppl with dyslexia just got e'er creased test head,but in college there was knew girl eglantine got to take it on a completely different day. Also heavy period cramps etc. They woupdnt just go to the doctor and get a note(school doc) ...

Also u can ask your professors. I was close with mine at the time when my mom's car got stolen and I had to drive my bro/sis to daycare and my mom to work all before my 7;45 am class. 3 times being late u get a drop fail. She was strict.I spoke tl her and she was cool with me popping in a bit late. But it doesn't hurt to try. Gl. U have a valid excusd

I didn't with my first when I was at university and only a teenager, but that university is notoriously awful for actually being reasonable to its students. Doesn't hurt to try, but don't count on it.

Honestly, I kind of doubt it as well, but like others said, it doesn't hurt to ask. If you were bedridden and going into labor that would be one thing, but stressed, lack or sleep, and cramping may not be a strong enough reason. I would still ask, though.

Yes, yes, yes. Trust me, yes.

If your pregnancy is affecting you to the point where you can't get your work done then yes, they must grant you extenuating circumstances. At least I know it's definitely that way at university so I should imagine college is the same...Big question though, are you in the UK? That may change everything. Over here, it's most definitely a yes, you can apply for and should be granted extra time. They may ask for medical evidence, but a letter from the GP stating your pregnancy status and the fact that you've been feeling stressed/unwell should suffice.

When you are talking about extension on a deadline is it for a class? If it is for a class it will usually be at the discretion of the teacher. My husband has worked at both the University of Michigan and Ohio State during his under grad and graduate in his field of study. I know that when they say "extenuating" it had to be just that: for example a girl donated her kidney to someone else during the semester.

But once again, it is definitely worth speaking to someone about and seeing if accomdations can be made.

I am studying with the OU and it says a normal pregnancy is not a reason for an extension, so I think it will vary on university to university.

Thanks for the advice. I hate asking for extra time and this will be the second time this semester that I've had to. I was very ill the first two weeks of class and had to ask for an extension then too. This is the last week of the class so its my final assignments that will be due. I just keep getting cramps and that makes me nervous because I don't remember cramps this painful last time and its another month before my doc will give me a scan :/ I'm terrified something is going to go wrong and that this might contribute. Does that make sense or am I worrying for nothing?

Hmm..maybe I didn't use the right term? I'm in the U.S. and attending an accelerated graduate program. I forgot college and university might mean different things to different people since they're used pretty interchangeably here. Maybe I'll give the ob clinic a call and see what they say about the cramping.

I'm sorry but I don't think it's a good enough reason for an extension. It's not like you are having extreme morning sickness and cramping is normal throughout pregnancy.

If you do feel you really need it all you can do is speak to your doctor/uni.

I'm sorry but I don't think it's a good enough reason for an extension. It's not like you are having extreme morning sickness and cramping is normal throughout pregnancy.

If you do feel you really need it all you can do is speak to your doctor/uni.
Don't be sorry. That's legit. Like I said, I'm on the fence about it. Just scared because the cramping follows me getting very stressed out so I'm probably overreacting, you know? I don't remember cramping this early with my first and I am so scared this baby won't stick that I'm refusing to tell friends and family until I see the heartbeat on the ultrasound :/

Divinity seems to have intervened. I got an e-mail in the wee hours of the morning informing me that, for one of my classes, due dates have been moved up by one day :D. I was looking at pulling more than one all nighter, which is like anti-health and made me nervous that I was wrecking my poor body, but I don't have to do that anymore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->