Pregnancy and anti-depressants.

LouOscar01

Reaction score
Been wanting to post this for a while but have been nervous and really don't want people to judge. I am 100% that I will be a great mother and that my depression would not affect my ability to parent successfully. I know its naive to say, but I doubt that my depression would be around when I have a baby.

I have been on and off anti-depressants for a year or so and have recently gone back on them due to stress at work and other bits. My depression is not severe, I have never wanted to harm myself or anything like that. I have always said that I would not be on them when TTC, pregnant or breast feeding as I have read that the baby can end up being addicted to the drug. Regardless of that, it just doesn't seem the right thing to do. However, a doctor I saw recently who prescribed me the medication said that it would not harm the baby.

Has anyone had experience of being on anti-depression medicine whilst being pregnant? Or chosen not? What was the effect on you?:shrug:

Hello...

Ive recently came off them (3 years on) So have no experience on the whole pregnancy/breast feeding... but a friend of mine is on them and shes got a 4 month old and she took them throughout pregnancy
certain anti ds are suitable for pregnancy and breast feeding... So dont feel terrible if you cant fully be off them when it comes TTC...

x

Hi, I've never been on antidepressants but I do suffer from depression semi-regularly (it can get bad and I have a history of self harm). Just wanted to say you're not alone :flower:

I don't worry too much about my depression affecting my parenting (although I would probably be more willing to take medication for it with a little one around relying on me). I figure it's no different than taking medicine to take care of a physical health problem or something. No one would question your ability to parent if you had a health condition that was under control and so it shouldn't be different with depression :thumbup: If the doctor says the medication is safe for the baby you can always just see how you feel when you're pregnant as to whether you want to take them or not.

Thanks guys. I want my pregnancy to be the happiest time of my life so far. It's not out of the question that I stay on the medicine but I'd really rather not. The medicine works really well and when I am on it I feel great and rational and reasonable!

Hi,

No judgement from me. I have battled depression on and off throughout my life. I wasn't on any medication during my pregnancy since I had no need for it. Your doctor should weigh the pros and cons of you being on an antidepressant while pregnant. I have heard that certain ones are not harmful, but I forget which ones exactly. If you Google the name of your prescription, you should be able to find out more about it. Here in the US, we have classes which denote whether or not the drug is considered safe. Most antidepressants are not addictive. It is the benzos like Xanax that have the potential for addiction.

My opinion on the matter is that if you feel you don't need them during pregnancy, don't take them. I definitely didn't need anything. I was practically euphoric during my pregnancy. I was so excited :haha: Perhaps you could look into an alternative depression management, such as psychotherapy, that doesn't require medication. Psychotherapy is very effective for mild depression. You've just got to find a therapist that fits your needs.

However, never say never when it comes to taking an antidepressant pre or post birth. I was so excited and happy during my pregnancy that I never thought, in a million years, that I would develop Postpartum Depression, but I did and medication has been the only thing that has really truly worked. The medication I'm on now works wonders. If you plan on breastfeeding and develop PPD, make sure you speak with your doctor about treatment and consider finding a "safe" medication. Women who have experienced depression before pregnancy and birth are more likely to develop PPD and the lack of sleep can exacerbate the problem!

I cannot imagine being depressed during pregnancy, nor after really, but I understand that there is definitely a chance of it. Really hope I don't get post natal depression :( A baby is all I've ever wanted and would never want to spend anytime with my baby feeling depressed. It must be awful, so glad you found the right medicine to help you. xxxx

I cannot imagine being depressed during pregnancy, nor after really, but I understand that there is definitely a chance of it. Really hope I don't get post natal depression :( A baby is all I've ever wanted and would never want to spend anytime with my baby feeling depressed. It must be awful, so glad you found the right medicine to help you. xxxx

Obviously everyone is different.. When I had maizie the midwife (or health visitor) gave me a questionnaire and i had to like score it and that showed if you was depressed or not... even though I wasnt on med then ( refused to take before i was pregnant cos i didnt want to get hooked on them) I passed the test my daughter helped... I didnt go onto meds till my daughter was 3 months old (uncle passing away and a few other factors)... stopped after a while then started again for 3 years...

Just try not to stress about it, relax and see what happens... but honestly dont feel guilty if you are still taking them when you start TTC... x

I have had the Ord bouts of depression thru my life and previous self harm as a teen but never took anti ds for it, always managed to drag myself bk out of it, however I no hormones being all over the place cud land me in trouble after birth.

Never feel that u can't talk about it, the world needs more ppl like u to talk about it and shoe.its not a taboo subject. Mental health is as important as physical health and ppl wudnt shy away from saying they have a physical health problem. Good for u xx

I've been on antidepressants for 15 years (I'm 32) and am TTC. I have talked with my doctor about what we should do when I do get pregnant and she said that 1) the ADs I'm on haven't been shown harm the baby (generic Prozac) and 2) stress/anxiety/depression during pregancy would cause more harm to the baby than the anti depressants. So, I plan to stay on them. I've tried to go off of them in the past but it didn't work and I just had horrible withdrawls. Good luck to you! I hope all goes well!

When I have relapses, my depression is bad. Very bad. I've been off them well over a year but, less than a week ago, have had to go back on them. The risks of not taking the medication are far, far worse than the risks of taking them.

I've been put on fluoxetine.. a far lower dose than I usually am on. Time well tell if it's going to make a difference. I'll also be seeing the perinatal mental health team - no judging from me :flower:

I was diagnosed with depression a little over 10 years ago and have been on and off anti-ds since. I didnt take them when I was pregnant with my son, but I did take them during both of my pregnancies with my girls. I also took them while TTC my youngest. Ive been on a type that is safe to take while pregnant/breastfeeding, so I will continue to take them while TTC and possibly throughout my pregnancy.

My doctor told me that the depression and stress would do a lot more harm than the anti-ds, which I fully agree with. There are quite a few different medication options that are safe during pregnancy and breastfeeding. :) I wouldn't worry about it too much now though. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->