Pregnancy and new jobs

Sarahcake

Mummy to Logan <3
Reaction score
Hey ladies

Well, I'm back in first tri, did not think I would ever be here again but here I am!

I'm working at the moment and I'm currently in the process of swapping jobs to work for the NHS.

I am 4 weeks 3 days gone, and had NO idea at all this would happen when I took the job.

I'm waiting on my DBS to come back and then I hand my notice in from my current job - who know I'm pregnant and start my new job, who currently do not know.

I don't know what to do, I'm so scared they will recind the offer. I've worked a lot to get to where I'm going to be now and I fully intend on staying as long as my body will allow and going back to work after my leave.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Terrified! But couldn't be happier that im having another baba

Thank you :)

Hello lovely,

I'm in a similar - ish situation to you.
I started a new job in mid April (also healthcare related, I've just left Nhs to go to private healthcare) and found out I was pregnant 2 weeks later.
I've been panicking massively!!
But from what I've read the laws are so stringent that your job is safe. They will hold it for your return.
I will not qualify for maternity or Stat leave due to the timing which is rubbish but that's life.
You only have to tell your work 15 weeks before your due date. For me that's the week before my probation is up - that's scaring me a little but I know that there is nothing they can do / say.
My friend sent me this link, it might make you feel a bit better about your situation https://www.maternityaction.org.uk/?doing_wp_cron=1495544702.7462170124053955078125

I hope we both get a good response when we finally break the news to them! And lastly, congrats on your BFP!

That's massively helpful thank you very much!

I havnt told them yet and won't be until I start but it looks like I'll be unable to claim SMP so I will have to get the Maternity allowance instead.

I have been working for the past 14 months so it will be no problem to show them 20 weeks where I earnt over £30pw.

I wasn't working with my last baby so didn't have to deal with this! I'm petrified of leaving us with nothing, that's probably what is scaring me the most.

I'm in private healthcare currently and they've been good so far so I'm hoping the NHS will also.

Thanks again lovely that's really helped :) congrats to you too! X

Ha we are like switching work lives - private to public and vice Versa :)
I'm In the same boat, will have to claim maternity allowance.
I don't know how long I'll be able to be off work for financial wise which worries me a bit. I'll probably only be able to do a few months then have to go back to work :( mortgage and bills to pay! Depressing isn't it! But I'm sure it's all worth it in the end.
Hope it all works out for you!

hey ladies.
Hope it works out for you with work, I'd advise telling them earlier rather than later there are protections in place for pregnant mums in the Uk

London Kiwi whereabouts in Nz are you from? I'm a fellow Kiwi in the UK been out here 12 years next month

I got (and accepted) a job offer just a few days after I got my BFP. I was really thankful because my old job gave me tons of stress, which definitely would have not been good for the baby. My new job is also new-mama-friendly and has great perks. Although I know there are laws protecting against pregnancy-discrimination, I am anxious to get through probation, as they can technically let you go for any reason. I personally decided to tell my boss about the pregnancy as late as possible. I want them to see how good an employee I am before this affects their judgment.

But I think it's best to think long-term in regards to your career. Take the job if you know it will make an impact on your career.

Like you Bbari I'm a little concerned about my probation period... It's 6 months which is quite a while. I've just been working my arse off to prove they need me!

In all honesty I didn't think I would even be having this conversation at all, I had a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy end of Feb, had my follow up appointment last month and they said I'd get pregnant within 6-9months so when I got my BFP the following week I was totally shocked.

I get on pretty well with my boss and the fact I don't qualify for SMP meaning I'll have to go back to work within 4-5months I'm hoping they will keep me on. Time will tell...

Lynnikins, how random - I'm 12years in June myself !
I am originally from Dunedin... How about you??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->