Pregnancy and Zoloft

lexilooski

Reaction score
Hi! I have never had a child before and I definitely want to have one but I'm scared to death for many reasons but my biggest reason is that I am currently on Zoloft for depression and anxiety. I have tried to do some research online about how Zoloft can affect a fetus but I can't find any definite answers. I know some of your answers will be to just not take it anymore but unfortunately, that is not an option for me. I can deal with my depression but my anxiety makes me physically sick and in the past has dropped me down to 92 pounds. My regular doctor has told me that the amount of stress that I would be in not on medication would do more harm to the baby than being on Zoloft but I really don't know. I'm really worried about carrying a child while I am taking this medication so I was wondering if anybody on here has been on any kind of anti-depressant while they were pregnant and if they could share their experience or knowledge on the subject. I plan on going to see my ob/gyn as well. Any comments or information is welcome.

I'm sorry you're dealing with depression and anxiety. :hugs:

I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety when I was 12 or something, four years before I had my first. When I was pregnant with him, I didn't need to be on medication. I did well without it. However, my daughters were different cases. I was on anti-depressants and mood stabilizers before getting pregnant. After I got pregnant, I went off both meds, but later on went back on the anti-depressants. When my doctor discussed it with me, he had told me about the classes of medications and that some are safer in pregnancy than others (I don't remember specific ones at the moment though). We had discussed the risks which included my babies going through slight withdrawl (extra fussy/crying) for a few days after they were born. We weighed the benefits and risks and decided that having me healthy was better for my baby and my family and so we went ahead and I went back on the medication. And when my daughters were born, they were perfectly happy and healthy. :thumbup:

So when you talk to your doctor, ask what class your medication is in and if it's one of the unsafe ones, see if you can switch to something that would be safer while TTC and while pregnant.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I may have missed something because I'm getting overly tired. :dohh:

Best of luck! :flower:

Zoloft is supposed to fine in pregnancy and breastfeeding. I started taking it for PND not long after my first was born, I then breastfed him for over a year while taking it. I tried to go off when TTC but ended up back on it after my anxiety came back (horrible stuff so I can understand you not wanting to go off your meds!!). So I was on the medication the whole time while pregnant with my 2nd and then for over a year breastfeeding.

Both my boys have had no adverse effects from the medication. Ideally I would have rather had not been using medication but it was needed as I couldn't be a good mum and function properly at the time without it.

Thank you so much for this information! It literally made me cry because I don't want to hurt my unborn baby if I don't have to. Of course I'd rather not be on medication but I've been diagnosed with this since I was 13 and I'm just now starting to feel like myself. In all honesty, if it was too dangerous to be on medication while pregnant, I would sacrifice my desire to experience life inside me and pursue adopting instead.

Zoloft is supposed to fine in pregnancy and breastfeeding. I started taking it for PND not long after my first was born, I then breastfed him for over a year while taking it. I tried to go off when TTC but ended up back on it after my anxiety came back (horrible stuff so I can understand you not wanting to go off your meds!!). So I was on the medication the whole time while pregnant with my 2nd and then for over a year breastfeeding.

Both my boys have had no adverse effects from the medication. Ideally I would have rather had not been using medication but it was needed as I couldn't be a good mum and function properly at the time without it.

It is so nice to talk to someone that understands my dilemma! Now I just have to get over the fear of having the baby. I've unfortunately watched a documentary called "The Business of Being Born" and it compares midwives to the hospitals. My husband has had 3 back surgeries and doesn't move so well and his back is only going to get worse so he's eager to conceive. He already has a daughter from his last relationship but he knows how much I would like to have one of my own. It's very emotional to talk about this because I want to have one so bad. I know everyone gets scared about having a child but for some reason, I'm deathly afraid of the pain. Does that mean I'm not ready? I teeter between the final outcome and the pain you go through to get there. I really don't want pain medication if I can avoid it. I tend to have a high threshold for pain but I have not experienced childbirth yet so I don't think I've really been tested :)

I'm sorry you're dealing with depression and anxiety. :hugs:

I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety when I was 12 or something, four years before I had my first. When I was pregnant with him, I didn't need to be on medication. I did well without it. However, my daughters were different cases. I was on anti-depressants and mood stabilizers before getting pregnant. After I got pregnant, I went off both meds, but later on went back on the anti-depressants. When my doctor discussed it with me, he had told me about the classes of medications and that some are safer in pregnancy than others (I don't remember specific ones at the moment though). We had discussed the risks which included my babies going through slight withdrawl (extra fussy/crying) for a few days after they were born. We weighed the benefits and risks and decided that having me healthy was better for my baby and my family and so we went ahead and I went back on the medication. And when my daughters were born, they were perfectly happy and healthy. :thumbup:

So when you talk to your doctor, ask what class your medication is in and if it's one of the unsafe ones, see if you can switch to something that would be safer while TTC and while pregnant.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I may have missed something because I'm getting overly tired. :dohh:

Best of luck! :flower:

I can understand your fears and I don't think it means that you're not ready. As for the hospital births, I think it is a matter of finding a good doctor/hospital. My first two were born at a hospital in Michigan. I hated that hospital. I always have, I always will. If my son wouldn't have been born during a snow storm, I would have had my mom drive me two hours to go to a different hospital in the city. There were no major complications, but the overall experience was just horrible. The nurses were all bitchy and I wasn't allowed to get out of bed (I was induced for both). I still cringe thinking about it.

That being said, I lived in a different city when my youngest was born. I loved the experience. The nurses I had were very, very nice. They were also very supportive during contractions and offered to rub my back or get me washcloths to put on my head and everything. I was induced with her as well and the hospital staff still let me get up, walk around, take a shower. They didn't push me towards any interventions and even helped talked me through not getting an epidural (which I told them earlier that I didn't want). It was a great experience, and based on my experiences with my kids, I believe a hospital birth can be a great experience as long as you find a good one.

I think a lot of women are really afraid of the pain. With my first, I know I was. I remember wishing that they could just knock me out and give me a c-section so I wouldn't have to go through contractions and everything. But when it came down to it, I had a natural birth and it was sooo worth every second of the pain. With my first two children, I had pain medication through my IV and with my third I managed to do it naturally. :happydance: I was allowed to take a hot shower and that helped immensely. And if you want or need it, they have IV pain medication and epidurals. That's what it's there for. :) I suggest that if you're really concerned, talk to your doctor and see what they say about it.

Sorry that was so long-winded. I tend to get carried away. :dohh:

Please don't apologize for being long-winded! I am the same way and plus the information you are giving me helps me more than you can ever know. I don't have many people that I talk to so that's why I came on here. I went to the library and took out a couple books that I'm going to start tomorrow. I just want to do everything possible to not put any stress on the baby. I know that I tend to over think things so that's why I'm making an appointment to talk to my doctor about family planning and also reaching out through here rather than sit around and let my brain come up with irrational thoughts that I'm not even sure are true. I really am hoping to have a natural childbirth and just push through the pain. I'm like that in all areas of my life. When I have debilitating anxiety that makes me sick for days, I don't take the Xanax I'm prescribed, I work through it naturally and it helps me feel better about myself. Also I know that I cannot take Xanax while pregnant so for the past few years I've been dealing with anxiety without it. The Zoloft takes the edge off but some nights I still sometimes struggle. I'm eager to talk to my doctor and see what he says. I recently had surgery down there because I had to get my Bartholin gland removed. I had stitches and everything and I was prescribed pain medication but I just roughed it and took an aspirin whenever it get really bad. My mom said now I know what it feels like to be stitched up after an episiotomy (sp?). Do they do that anymore with episiotomy? I've heard that some doctors do and others just let you tear naturally because it heals better that way. There's so much to research!
I can understand your fears and I don't think it means that you're not ready. As for the hospital births, I think it is a matter of finding a good doctor/hospital. My first two were born at a hospital in Michigan. I hated that hospital. I always have, I always will. If my son wouldn't have been born during a snow storm, I would have had my mom drive me two hours to go to a different hospital in the city. There were no major complications, but the overall experience was just horrible. The nurses were all bitchy and I wasn't allowed to get out of bed (I was induced for both). I still cringe thinking about it.

That being said, I lived in a different city when my youngest was born. I loved the experience. The nurses I had were very, very nice. They were also very supportive during contractions and offered to rub my back or get me washcloths to put on my head and everything. I was induced with her as well and the hospital staff still let me get up, walk around, take a shower. They didn't push me towards any interventions and even helped talked me through not getting an epidural (which I told them earlier that I didn't want). It was a great experience, and based on my experiences with my kids, I believe a hospital birth can be a great experience as long as you find a good one.

I think a lot of women are really afraid of the pain. With my first, I know I was. I remember wishing that they could just knock me out and give me a c-section so I wouldn't have to go through contractions and everything. But when it came down to it, I had a natural birth and it was sooo worth every second of the pain. With my first two children, I had pain medication through my IV and with my third I managed to do it naturally. :happydance: I was allowed to take a hot shower and that helped immensely. And if you want or need it, they have IV pain medication and epidurals. That's what it's there for. :) I suggest that if you're really concerned, talk to your doctor and see what they say about it.

Sorry that was so long-winded. I tend to get carried away. :dohh:

Have you looked at trying some hypnotherapy for your anxiety? I have done it and it helped me :)

Try not to stress about childbirth as it is better to trust your body as it knows what to do (most the time, and yes saying try 'not to stress' is probably easier said than done!). As for tearing it is better to naturally tear as it heals better and an episiotomy cuts further than the natural tear may have if left on its own. I think a tear sounds a lot worse than it is, well I can only speak for 2nd degree ones, it was uncomfortable and a bit painful but not as bad as I was expecting before having a child. The actual crowning part hurt with or without the tear (2nd time I didn't tear) but it is over quickly and you really do forget about it once you have the baby on your chest!

I am glad I can help. :)

There are so many different things to research on pregnancy. And then even more on parenting. But it's good that you're doing research now. They you will have time to really look into everything and consider it without feeling too rushed.

I do think doctors are shying away from episiotomies now. But it does kind of depend on the doctor, too. I didn't have any experience with it, I told my doctor that I would rather tear naturally and he agreed to follow my wishes (within reason, obviously). I only had minor tears that required no stitches, so I was never really in a situation where I had to think about it too much.

And if you want to know about my experiences or anything, feel free to keep asking. :)

I actually practice mindfulness whenever I am going through an anxiety attack. I was reading about it and it just felt right. I completely try to let go of trying to control it and I lay in bed in a dark room and just let the anxiety wash over me. I don't freak out trying to anticipate the roller coaster type feeling it gives me but I just remember to breathe through it. My friend suggested the Bradley method and I'm also looking into hypnotherapy as well. Can you explain exactly what you do for hypnotherapy? I've always been curious about it but I'm interested in so many things, I never get around to researching all of my interests. :book:

Have you looked at trying some hypnotherapy for your anxiety? I have done it and it helped me :)

Try not to stress about childbirth as it is better to trust your body as it knows what to do (most the time, and yes saying try 'not to stress' is probably easier said than done!). As for tearing it is better to naturally tear as it heals better and an episiotomy cuts further than the natural tear may have if left on its own. I think a tear sounds a lot worse than it is, well I can only speak for 2nd degree ones, it was uncomfortable and a bit painful but not as bad as I was expecting before having a child. The actual crowning part hurt with or without the tear (2nd time I didn't tear) but it is over quickly and you really do forget about it once you have the baby on your chest!

I don't know that it is following any particular method as I haven't looked that far into it but I would see a lady who does hypnotherapy and discussed my issues with her then I sit back and relax while she talks me through some hypno stuff. Sorry I don't really know much more, I just found it helped me, who knows it could be all in my head me believing that it works but I didn't care as I felt better after (so I guess therefore it did work for me). Everyone is different but something to consider.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing by getting yourself prepared, asking questions and researching. Some people go blindly into pregnancy and birth and I don't think it is a good idea doing that (especially if you suffer from anxiety).

Hi :flower:

I see that your originally question has mostly been answered, but I thought I'd share what I know as well. Zoloft is a Class C drug during pregnancy (I'm sorry, I didn't check to see if you are in the US or not, but these classes are the FDA's designations), which means that the risk cannot be ruled out. In other words, they do not know for certain whether or not the drug causes any problems to the fetus during pregnancy. Currently, most doctors treat each case individually, meaning that while one person may need to take an antidepressant during pregnancy and another may not. The doctors generally make the determination based on risk--is the risk of you taking the medication greater than the risks that come with you not taking the medication (for example, in a suicidal pregnant woman, the risk of NOT taking the medication far outweighs the risks that come with taking the medication). Personally, I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, but I didn't need to take any medication during pregnancy. I didn't experience any depressive, manic, or anxious feelings at all even though I had experienced them much of my teenage/adult life.

I saw that you are also worried about the pain of childbirth. I've never considered myself to have a high or low pain tolerance--I'd classify myself as somewhere in the middle--and I was able to get through a 17-18 hour labor with an epidural that didn't work properly. It wasn't a walk in the park, but it wasn't the most horrible thing in the world either, especially since when it's all over, you've got an adorable little baby in your arms. I got an episiotomy and I didn't even realize the doctor had cut me until she started stitching me afterwards. It hurt and I yelled at her because she didn't warn me first :haha: but she sprayed me with this numbing spray and then when it was all done, I got an ice pack and forgot about it--snuggles with a little baby and some ice really do wonders :haha:

I think it is good that you are doing your research. It's good to know what to expect, but I wouldn't over-research things like the actual pain of childbirth because it will make you anxious and scare you. Trust me, when labor time comes, you will do what you need to do to get that baby out. By the time labor came, I was so exhausted, tired of being pregnant, and ready to meet my baby that I looked forward to it.

Thank you for the encouragement! As you probably know, anxiety is formed because you are worrying about the future. I'm trying to embrace the whole pregnancy experience but I still can't shake the anxious feeling. I know it's probably normal for anyone to feel this way but I need to not let it get out of hand. I don't plan on researching the pain of childbirth because all that would do is create more anxiety. Instead I'm reading typically what to expect as your body changes in each trimester along with the different child birthing techniques. It makes me feel better to be educated on this so while I'm pregnant, I won't be wondering what's going on and jump start the irrational thinking. After speaking to my doctor, we both agreed that the amount of anxiety I would have without medication would be much riskier than taking the Zoloft. I can't function when my anxiety is out if control and before I was on medication, I was throwing up every night, dropped to 92 pounds and was almost hospitalized for dehydration. So I definitely don't want to set myself back because it is absolute agony. Do you know of any books that addresses women that are pregnant and have anxiety disorders?

Thank you for the encouragement! As you probably know, anxiety is formed because you are worrying about the future. I'm trying to embrace the whole pregnancy experience but I still can't shake the anxious feeling. I know it's probably normal for anyone to feel this way but I need to not let it get out of hand. I don't plan on researching the pain of childbirth because all that would do is create more anxiety. Instead I'm reading typically what to expect as your body changes in each trimester along with the different child birthing techniques. It makes me feel better to be educated on this so while I'm pregnant, I won't be wondering what's going on and jump start the irrational thinking. After speaking to my doctor, we both agreed that the amount of anxiety I would have without medication would be much riskier than taking the Zoloft. I can't function when my anxiety is out if control and before I was on medication, I was throwing up every night, dropped to 92 pounds and was almost hospitalized for dehydration. So I definitely don't want to set myself back because it is absolute agony. Do you know of any books that addresses women that are pregnant and have anxiety disorders?

Hmm, most of the books I am familiar with that focus on pregnancy and anxiety are for postpartum-related mood disorders, not for anxiety during pregnancy, but I will take a look around for you and see if I can find anything. There are the usual books like What to Expect While You're Expecting that might alleviate some of your anxiety by giving you a good idea of what to expect. I read a lot of different things while pregnant, personally, and found books like these to be the most helpful because they were the least likely, for me at least, to trigger anxiety. They were also helpful because I knew what the doctors were talking about, like for example, when I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes, I didn't worry that much because I was well-informed of what to do and what to expect. Message boards like this are great too, but some of the posts related to miscarriage and loss scared me to death and caused me a lot of anxiety. I also had a bad habit of googling all of my symptoms and many times, there were people with good intentions who ended up scaring me (e.g., "if you're having back pain, you could be losing the baby because that's what happened with me or with my friend etc.") so I'd try to avoid "Dr. Google" as much as possible. Also, have you ever tried seeing a therapist for your anxiety? I'm rather biased towards therapy because I am a graduate student studying psychology and counseling, but I find therapy to be very helpful as long as you have a therapist that fits you and your needs (shop around--don't just settle for the first therapist you meet if you don't feel like it is a good match). It might be worthwhile to find a therapist with whom you could discuss your anxiety and fear of pregnancy/childbirth. Perhaps a therapist could offer some insight into your anxiety. I don't know your personal situation, so only you know if therapy will work for you, but I always like to suggest it because I have found it very beneficial (which is one of the reasons why I am pursuing a career in counseling myself).

Thanks for taking a look around for me. I'm also searching and have a few books from the library. I actually started reading "What to Expect Before You're Expecting" and it's pretty good so far. I know that knowledge is power and helps me out but if I start to over think symptoms or every ache and pain, I know myself well enough that that would trigger me and then put stress on the baby and that is the last thing I want to do. I want to do what's best but I am still terrified of the experience but I don't know if it's normal or if I am just anticipating things and scaring myself out of abandoning one of the most important things in my life. I have seen therapists for years and even though they might have helped me here and there, what it really comes down to for me is just thinking in the moment. Depression is in the past, anxiety is in the future and peace is in the present. I'm fighting very hard to do that and on a day to day basis, I'm fine but now that I'm thinking of having a child, it has kind of rattled me a little. It's also hard because my husband has had 3 back surgeries and he is 30 and his back is only going to get worse and he wants me to have a child so he can be active enough to play with him/her so having that extra pressure also stresses me out but honestly, if it wasn't for him kind of saying now or never I think I would just keep pushing it off until I hit menopause then live in regret for the rest of my life. Sorry I'm rambling I'm just kind of stressed right now and I don't have a whole lot of people to talk to.

Hmm, most of the books I am familiar with that focus on pregnancy and anxiety are for postpartum-related mood disorders, not for anxiety during pregnancy, but I will take a look around for you and see if I can find anything. There are the usual books like What to Expect While You're Expecting that might alleviate some of your anxiety by giving you a good idea of what to expect. I read a lot of different things while pregnant, personally, and found books like these to be the most helpful because they were the least likely, for me at least, to trigger anxiety. They were also helpful because I knew what the doctors were talking about, like for example, when I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes, I didn't worry that much because I was well-informed of what to do and what to expect. Message boards like this are great too, but some of the posts related to miscarriage and loss scared me to death and caused me a lot of anxiety. I also had a bad habit of googling all of my symptoms and many times, there were people with good intentions who ended up scaring me (e.g., "if you're having back pain, you could be losing the baby because that's what happened with me or with my friend etc.") so I'd try to avoid "Dr. Google" as much as possible. Also, have you ever tried seeing a therapist for your anxiety? I'm rather biased towards therapy because I am a graduate student studying psychology and counseling, but I find therapy to be very helpful as long as you have a therapist that fits you and your needs (shop around--don't just settle for the first therapist you meet if you don't feel like it is a good match). It might be worthwhile to find a therapist with whom you could discuss your anxiety and fear of pregnancy/childbirth. Perhaps a therapist could offer some insight into your anxiety. I don't know your personal situation, so only you know if therapy will work for you, but I always like to suggest it because I have found it very beneficial (which is one of the reasons why I am pursuing a career in counseling myself).

Thanks for taking a look around for me. I'm also searching and have a few books from the library. I actually started reading "What to Expect Before You're Expecting" and it's pretty good so far. I know that knowledge is power and helps me out but if I start to over think symptoms or every ache and pain, I know myself well enough that that would trigger me and then put stress on the baby and that is the last thing I want to do. I want to do what's best but I am still terrified of the experience but I don't know if it's normal or if I am just anticipating things and scaring myself out of abandoning one of the most important things in my life. I have seen therapists for years and even though they might have helped me here and there, what it really comes down to for me is just thinking in the moment. Depression is in the past, anxiety is in the future and peace is in the present. I'm fighting very hard to do that and on a day to day basis, I'm fine but now that I'm thinking of having a child, it has kind of rattled me a little. It's also hard because my husband has had 3 back surgeries and he is 30 and his back is only going to get worse and he wants me to have a child so he can be active enough to play with him/her so having that extra pressure also stresses me out but honestly, if it wasn't for him kind of saying now or never I think I would just keep pushing it off until I hit menopause then live in regret for the rest of my life. Sorry I'm rambling I'm just kind of stressed right now and I don't have a whole lot of people to talk to.

Oh, no problem, if you need someone to talk to you can always PM me too. I enjoy chatting and helping when I can. I think it is normal to be scared of something like this. It is not easy to carry a baby for 9 months, deliver, and take care of him/her for years afterwards. I was one of those paranoid first time moms who called L&D for back pain or stomach cramps and the good thing is, L&D are used to worried moms and has no problem having you come in for monitoring or fitting you in for an appointment. All first time moms worry about symptoms and stress over every little thing.

Oh, no problem, if you need someone to talk to you can always PM me too. I enjoy chatting and helping when I can. I think it is normal to be scared of something like this. It is not easy to carry a baby for 9 months, deliver, and take care of him/her for years afterwards. I was one of those paranoid first time moms who called L&D for back pain or stomach cramps and the good thing is, L&D are used to worried moms and has no problem having you come in for monitoring or fitting you in for an appointment. All first time moms worry about symptoms and stress over every little thing.

I did this for all three of my pregnancies...kind of. I was more relaxed during the second two, but I still called my doctor or went to the ER pretty frequently. They were still caring and didn't make me feel bad about it. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->