Pregnancy & Cats!!!!! Help, Scared!

DeeStar03

Reaction score
Hey ladies!!

I've read up on a disease caused by cats called TOXPLASMOSIS.

Now... Im like 4 weeks pregnant and all my life I have lived with cats... I have 2 cats now. BOTH INDOOR... so YES they use the litterbox.... I know I am not supposed to go near that... so My husband is going to take care of that from now on....

I'm worried my baby can still get toxoplasmosis and have a birth defect...I know we're not doctors but thats why this forum is here right? For HELP!... I'm just nervous... Everyone wants a healthy baby...

Any feelings on this one???? Any input???

https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/problems-in-pregnancy/toxoplasmosis.htm

found this for you hun, think ull be fine as long as u dont eat cat poo ;)

https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/problems-in-pregnancy/toxoplasmosis.htm

found this for you hun, think ull be fine as long as u dont eat cat poo ;)

Thank you Yvanne... I can still pet my cats and play with them can't I ?

Hiya, I have a cat as well and just let my husband handle the litterbox duty these days.

The thing is, if you've lived with cats all your life (like me), chances are that you already contracted toxoplasmosis and then you have nothing to worry about. It could only become a problem if you contract it while pregnant, and even then it's not 100% sure to cause birth defects.

If you are really worried about this, I believe you can ask your doctor to test your blood for it, and the vet to test your cats for it.

But like I say, chances are you already have it and then you're immune by now. So happy thoughts!

ishtar thanx for tht hun lol! i remember reading tht befor but couldnt find out where! am glad someone else has confirmed it for me! (didnt wanna say incase wrong)

yess dee you can still play wi ur kitties :D just leave oh on "shit patrol" ;) :rofl:

HAHAHAA!! Ok Sounds good then.. I should not worry.. I've had cats since I was 3 years old. Im not 22... so i think Im ok. Thank you girls!

DON'T worry! i worked as a veterinary nurse all the way through my pregnancy, i spoke to my doctor as i was worried and some one mentioned a blood test, my doctor said it was a waste of time as i have probably had it and was immune to it.

Best to use gloves when cleaning the litter tray and you'll be fine.

Always make sure your cats are wormed regularly.

I worried too because I have kitty and tbh I don't do anything different. I even change the litter at the end of the day I am not touching the poo I have a bin and a scooper - doesn't touch me.

Ok So I'm not going to worry... cause I have 2 cats...

Is toximia the same as toxoplasmosis???? My mom had toximia when she had me... and I alsmot died... but IM HERE! Thank God!

From Google - https://ncnc.essortment.com/whatistoxemi_ruyd.htm :
"Every year thousands of women suffer from pregnancy induced [FONT=verdana,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]hypertension[/FONT][/FONT]. This disease has two names, Toxemia and Preeclampsia. It is estimated that 7 out of every 100 pregnant women will develop Toxemia to some degree. Mild Toxemia is monitored closely and usually causes very little problems for the mother or child. However, when Toxemia becomes severe it can cause many health problems.

There is no known cause for Toxemia. The facts they do know so far include the following. Toxemia starts to develop as your placenta begins to develop, although it may not be detected until the later part of your [FONT=verdana,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]pregnancy[/FONT][/FONT]. Most cases of Toxemia happen with first pregnancies. Second and subsequent pregnancies are at lower risk, unless the woman is with a new partner. Since they don't know what causes it, there is no way to tell if a woman is at risk before she gets pregnant."

Don't worry about the cats, I have 2 house cats and was living with them throughout my pregnancy (live at my boyfriends now btw, so no cats here) but I didn't change their litter luckily, one time I had to I just wore rubber gloves and used a scoop as Wobbles said she did.

I think the only way you'll be affected is if you're not being clean when changing the litter tray, not washing hands etc but don't worry you can still stroke your cats and stuff!! in fact they're very good for you as they calm you down when you stroke them and give you lots of cuddles when you're pregnant.

Hope that helps :)

My three kitties all have an appointment tomorrow with the vet to be tested. Since my husband travels a lot, I thought I might as well have them tested. But since they are strictly indoor cats, I am not worried.

Glad to know a little more information on how you get it. I was worried to even go near the litter box but now I can relax thank goodness!:happydance:

Looks like you got alot of good response....Was just going to say you should have nothing to worry about if your OH is going to clean the box...but that was covered....:hugs:

Toxoplasma also lives in raw meat so its not only the cats!!So order your steak well done and dont be anxious.If your cats stay at home and their visits to the vet are often you should not worry.I agree with the girls that say to be carefull with litter,also dont take them into your bed during your pregnancy.Concratulation ,I hope you have a healthy and calm pregnancy!

I had and still have a cat when I was pg with Ella i just used to use gloves and made sure I washed my hands after changing her litter. fine to have cuddles ect witht them infact when I was pg Millie used to come and curl up on my knee, it was strange becuase she's never been a cuddly cat EVER maybe she sensed I was pg and was jelous or something becuase now she wouldnt do that!

Wow!! Thank you everyone SO much!!!.. this helps a lot!! ... My husband is also worried for AFTER The baby is born.... everything is ok with baby and cats right??? Anyone from experience?

The only problem is... my cats do not go to the vet.. they have.. but now they don't since I moved and they HATE it there... plus they are indoor.. I've had them for 8 years or so... and I know that they are healthy... I probably already have toxoplasmosis since I grew up with cats my whole life...

Anyway.. just checking...

I also worry a little bit about how our cat is going to react once this little one is born. Will she be jealous, will she just ignore the baby, who knows. We're just gonna have to keep an eye on her, she is quite big (20 lbs) so she could easily smother the little one.

Since I'm due in November and you in May, I'll write a thread about how the cat is behaving, hopefully that'll help.

I also worry a little bit about how our cat is going to react once this little one is born. Will she be jealous, will she just ignore the baby, who knows. We're just gonna have to keep an eye on her, she is quite big (20 lbs) so she could easily smother the little one.

Since I'm due in November and you in May, I'll write a thread about how the cat is behaving, hopefully that'll help.

Thank you so much Ishtar!

I took my cats in this morning for their annual checkup and spoke to the vet. Her advise was to make my husband take care of it. But since he travels that is not an option. She said testing the cat doesn't do a lot of good. So if I do have to clean the box. Do it every day, the fresher the poo the less likely the cysts are active. Wear gloves and wash my hands really well after. It is not air born. Basically you have to get an active cyst on your hand, and injest it to become infected. Cats are infected by eating raw meat, ie. mice and birds. Since my kitties say indoors, the chance they have it is very slim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->