Pregnancy gingivitis

Vicki_g

Reaction score
Anyone else experienced this? I think it's the problem I've got at the minute - very sore, swollen gums, some bleeding, swollen cheek around where the problem in my mouth is... it really hurts. I've been taking paracetamol to deal with the pain but I think I'm going to have to make a trip to the dreaded dentist to see if there's anything he can do.

Any tips from anyone else who's had the misfortune to suffer it would be gratefully received - the best way for me to treat it at the moment seems to be to go to sleep which is unhelpful when I have a full day at work stretching ahead of me. It may of course be that I have a bigger problem in one particular tooth which requires a root canal. Anyone know if local anaesthetic for dental treatment is a particular problem? I'll ring the midwife team anyway but generally I seem unable to get past the know-it-all receptionist whenever I have a question!

I started using corsodyl mouthwash which really helped with the gum bleeding. I haven't been to the dentist in 2 years so can't really help on that front! Naughty I know.

I have had this since about 20 weeks its horrible isnt it :cry

I paniced and got an emergency app with dentist and hyginest who assured me its just pregnancy related and once baby is born it will all go back to normal.

I too used corsodyl mouth wash but they adviced me not too this causes staining it did to my teeth really bad luckily the hygenist cleaned them up lovely for me.

They just advised me to brush regular despite the bleeding and if need be rinse mouth with warm salt water and spit out.

Hope this helps
DD XX

Yep corsodyl is the best just make sure you get the original and not the daily defence as it's just like listorine

Thanks - I'm concerned that it's more serious as it all seems to be centred around one particular tooth but the swelling on that side of my face and the pain are pretty awful regardless! I feel like the elephant man today. I think it's giving me a temperature as well, am basically a complete mess! If this is gingivitis then my word do I feel sorry for you other ladies if yours is like this!

I had gingivitis once before I was pregnant. I hadn't gone to the dentist in years and it had gotten a bit out of control. Your gums swell because there is a big build up of plaque and tartar at the base of each tooth and the only way to get rid of it is to get a deep cleaning at the dentist. You can't take medicine, it won't go away on its own, and flossing won't get rid of what has already accumulated there. When I had it it was really bad, I had to get a anasthetic shot to numb the whole mouth (the same kind of shot they give you when they're about to drill!) just so that they could do a thorough cleaning under the gum line. It was just a cleaning and once they cleaned it the swelling went down in a couple of days and disappeared.

Best thing to do is go to the dentist. They can do a cleaning on you, hopefully it's not as bad as mine was years ago. Dentists are fully equipped doctors who will know what anasthetic they can or cannot give you during pregnancy, I trust them fully. But you've got a long way to go until delivery and I wouldn't put it off, it can only get worse and the problem is so incredibly simple to fix that afterwards you'll kick yourself for not going sooner. Good luck!

Ive had the odd bit of swelling and a tiny amount of bleeding, but nothing too bad!! Ive managed to avoid the meds so far at least!! I know you don't really like the dentist...but while its free, get yourself booked in or a check up!! Im going on the 23rd!!xx

I had PG too. I made an appointment with my dentist and had a teeth cleaning done. They did a wonderful job and I haven't had problems since. The doctor recommended to gargle with warm salt water or use Listerine. And of course to brush your teeth at least twice a day plus flossing if you can.

With a proper teeth cleaning you should be able to get it under control! :thumbup:

Hope this helps! :flower:

cloe :shipw:

Ta all - midwives have recommended Corsodyl also so will give that a bash. Am also trying to get a dentist appointment but they've decided that they won't answer their phones until 2pm! I go to the dentist pretty regularly anyway as my teeth are susceptible to problems, I can't believe that even a week or so ago I was congratulating myself on not having had any problems in pregnancy then all of a sudden this appears! Last time I went was in October where I was told my impacted wisdom tooth will need removing at a cost of £600 - thank God for work's BUPA! Then I got pregnant and decided not to bother just yet... Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->