Pregnancy induced arthritis? Is this a real thing?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by babytimeee, Jun 1, 2011.

1. babytimeee

babytimeee Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, some of you might have seen my post from earlier about my leg pain. It still hasn't gone away and as I'm in New England and it's super humid and a really weird thunderstorm is coming in, I've put the pain down to arthritis. I've had touches of it before when it rains or when it's really cold but never like this. I broke my right ankle when I was 13 and they said I might have some problems with it since it was a growth bone. I know it's not nerve pain because I've had sciatica since a car accident and it was NOTHING like this. The pain is radiating from my knee and ankle, and burning UP my entire leg.

Is it possible to have pregnancy induced arthritis? I made a follow up appt with my OB for Friday and if it doesn't go away I am flat out asking for a note to excuse me from work until I feel better. I know that sounds horrible but like I said in my other post I have an EXTREMELY high pain tolerance usually and this has me rocking back and forth screaming.

Do you think it's possible? Or do you think it's just the super humidity.

2. 2ndtimeluckyX

2ndtimeluckyX Well-Known Member

My sis has arthritis, she has been told it gets worse with every pregnancy. She has two children and has been advised not to have any more, just to enjoy the ones she does have instead of risking it getting really bad if she was to have a third.

She would have to come off her med's in order to conceive and stay off them throughout pregnancy and breast feeding which would not be good for her.

I suppose it's possible you have arthritis, I would def see your doc about it, especially if the pain is so bad! Don't suffer!

Xx

3. babytimeee

babytimeee Well-Known Member

Thanks for this :). I keep looking online for information and all I get is stuff on RA and I'd just rather not think about that being the case. My sister has lupus and my Mom has severe degenerative arthritis in her shoulders so I can't help feeling I was doomed from the get-go. I have an appointment Friday with my OB and I am really hoping he doesn't try to write it off as a charley horse as the ER did. They made sure it wasn't a blood clot and sent me on my way without even trying to investigate.. They literally told me "Try eating a banana or two and taking tylenol and see if that helps." I was so, so mad.

Part of me hopes it is arthritis so I will have an answer and the other part prays it isn't because that means the pain is lifelong and I don't know if I can handle this for years. Ugh

4. Dani Rose

Dani Rose Well-Known Member

It is a common factor that child birth can cause the onset of RA :(

I got it a year after i had DD, and did my research, we thing pg caused the flare x