Pregnancy, Maternity Leave & Work - Your Rights (UK)

StirCrazy

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
I found this when researching laws & rights within the work place for maternity leave. Thought this would help others.

What time off work am I entitled to in relation to maternity?
I am expecting a child. What are my employment rights?
What is Ordinary Maternity Leave?
When can I take maternity leave?
What is Additional Maternity Leave (AML)?
Do I have to take maternity leave, even if I don’t want to?
What notice do I need to give if I want to take maternity leave?
Once I’m on maternity leave, do I have to let my employer know that I’m returning to work?
Will I have the same job when I return from maternity leave?
Can I work flexible hours when I return from maternity leave?
Am I entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)?
How much can I expect in Statutory Maternity Pay?
My employer says I’m not eligible for maternity pay as I’m a worker rather than an employee. Is this right?
I’m not entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay. Are there any other benefits I’m entitled to instead?
I’ve been sacked because I’m pregnant. What can I do?
What happens if I am sick during pregnancy, maternity leave, or when I was supposed to return to work?
Can I take time off work to attend antenatal classes?
I want to carry on breastfeeding my baby for as long as possible. What rights do I have which will help me to do this?
What happens to my Statutory Maternity Pay if my job ends?
Do I have to repay my maternity pay if I don't go back to work?
I work part-time. Are my maternity rights different from full-time workers?
If I go for a job interview, do I have to tell them that I'm pregnant?
My maternity leave is about to finish and I am pregnant again. What are my rights?
My contract of employment does not make clear my entitlement to maternity leave and maternity pay. What should I do?
I've got two part time jobs. Do I get maternity pay for both?
I am already on maternity leave. Am I allowed to change the date that I will return to work?
I've heard that maternity leave rules are changing. Is that right?
Can I do any work for my employer while on maternity leave?

SOURCE: worksmart.org.uk

Ive just worked out i should be entitled to matertinty pay but what if my work contract runs out whilst i am on mat leave. Does this change anything??

Very useful info - thanks Stircrazy.Thankyou. Why haven't I noticed this until today though, when you did it in November 2007?!!!!Wierd!!

Does anyone know my rights if I am on a probabtion period for my job? I am within the timescale to quality for maternity leave though.

my sister is 5 months pregnant and shes been told shes not been there quite 2 years so she wont be entitled to any maternity leave pay its shocking theyve treat her like crap since she told them she was pregnant even threatening her with disiplinary meetings if she didnt go in when she was called up on her day off!!

thanks for this but do u know anything about what i have to do if i decide not to return to work?

do you know any information for redundancy? My work went bust and closed in January but I still get smp, them when that's meant to finish in sept I get redundancy, can I work now or will I have to wait?

I would imagine you can't have SMP and go to work somewhere else.

Normally if you wanted to go back to work earlier you would have to agree this with your employer.

I would call whoever the administrators are, they should be able to tell you where you stand regarding getting another job/your redundancy pay.

Ok - I've been working in my current post for 5 months, and I'm employed on a 12 months contract basis. I work for a very small company (I am employee 3) and am concerned that if I (hopefully) become pregnant in the next month or so, my contract won't get renewed in June. If, in June, they choose not to renew my contract - will I be entitled to SMP? The main reason for this being that as a business, I'm not sure they would be able to afford to keep me on maternity and pay another employee simultaneously.

Am totally confused about all of this!!! My husband and I desperately want a baby - every year we find another excuse to delay it by another year - earlier this year it was due to redundancy.

If any of you can help that would be great. The links provided by Stir Crazy have helped re-assure me and I think we should just go for it and see what happens but would like to be clear as to what my rights are.

Great info here, but is there anything for pregnant employees on fixed term contracts? I am currently getting exasperated with my HR who informs me I have very few rights as I'm not permenant. My contract is due to end Jan 4th 2011 while I'm on Mat leave.

If my partner has a c section, what paternity leave will I be entitled to?

Whether your partner has a c-section or natural labour makes no difference to your paternity leave entitlement. It would still be 2 weeks at £128.73 per week provided you were employed at your work before your partner fell pregnant and you have given them the relevant notice.

Check out the link below, it gives lots of info:
https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parent...ies/Paternityrightsintheworkplace/DG_10029398

Im confussed ive read loads of stuff, bascally my contract is a lowsy 8 hrs a week, so does this mean i would have to go for maternity allowence not smp as that would be rubbish money 90% of what id get paid for 8 hrs...? Thanks.

Im confussed ive read loads of stuff, bascally my contract is a lowsy 8 hrs a week, so does this mean i would have to go for maternity allowence not smp as that would be rubbish money 90% of what id get paid for 8 hrs...? Thanks.

you can't choose MA or SMP; if you are entitles to SMP, that's what you get!
x

But i only work 8 hrs and you get 90% of that so ill get like noting surely?
it says in my parents guide the midwife gave me, smp - expectant mums who work 39 weeks pay ,while on maternity leave, then maternity allowance - expectant moms who work but not eligible for smp (because your income is very low ) so maybe i will get this? will need to speak to my boss i guess.

my sister is 5 months pregnant and shes been told shes not been there quite 2 years so she wont be entitled to any maternity leave pay its shocking theyve treat her like crap since she told them she was pregnant even threatening her with disiplinary meetings if she didnt go in when she was called up on her day off!!

Hi,

I work In HR and your sister may not be entitled to their enhanced maternity pay package but she will qualify for the statuory one, which most people get anyway.This is 6 wks at 90% then the rest of the 9 months at £135 per week.

Hope this helps

Whether your partner has a c-section or natural labour makes no difference to your paternity leave entitlement. It would still be 2 weeks at £128.73 per week provided you were employed at your work before your partner fell pregnant and you have given them the relevant notice.

Check out the link below, it gives lots of info:
https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parent...ies/Paternityrightsintheworkplace/DG_10029398

Yes whether your partner has a c section is irrelevant to pay. Just make sure you inform your manager and HR of the dates

When working while pregnant, you’ve a guarantee that you are sheltered. Under the federal and state law, your pregnancy can be lawfully measured as a "temporary disability". With this, your company will not vacillate to accommodate you and make required adjustments.

Take It Easy
While pregnancy means provisional disability you can still work, but you have to take care of yourself and your baby. You need to set restrictions and not to overexert yourself. If your work involves standing for long time, you must schedule breaks where you can put up your feet and relax, or if your work entails a plenty of sitting behind a desk whole day, you can get up and move around from time to time.

Taking Care of Yourself
If you’re not a usual water drinker, you’ve to change that. It is essential to stay hydrated and don’t mind taking quite a few trips to the bathroom because this is to evade urinary tract infection. Taking care of yourself includes having a healthy diet. You require good, well-balanced food to keep you and your little one going through all over the day.

“As women, we cannot afford to neglect ourselves.”
MICHELLE OBAMA

Stircracy, this research is conclusive and in fact you have made it very easy for mothers access this vital info at a press of a button. Most of the question on maternity leave in the UK have been well answered by the research Kudos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->