Pregnancy & Self Employment

Brightxeyes

Reaction score
I got my BFP yesterday (this would be my second)! I'm trying to be as prepared as possible this time round, and plan ahead!

I've already started pricing things up :blush: we didn't keep some of the things we used for my son, so we will need to buy a few bits here and there. Trying to be as sensible with money as possible!

My partners self employed, and I started my own business end of Summer, so it's still early days, but it's steadily growing and doing better than anticipated. I make wax melts at the moment and am looking at expanding, but it's not something I can do around a newborn baby (not the making anyway!) so my partner said he's going to help me with making probably Summer onwards when I start getting bigger.

Who else is self employed and pregnant? Or even self employed, pregnant and already have a toddler? What are your plans?

I'm unsure whether to take time off, and my partner run the business. Or just try my best to run it?

Wasn't sure where to ask, but figured if anyone else is Self Employed and pregnant they'd be planning ahead like I am in the first trimester!

Hello! Much husband and i are self employed and this will be the second baby I'm having while self employed the other 4 I had while working a regular 9-5 and I can say yes from the time I was uncomfortable about 30 weeks or so I stopped working and he took it all on it was hard because he wasn't home much but it was worth it. We run a store front and are open 7 days a week from morning to evening so it's hard but totally worth it!

Hey! Congrats on your bfp!!

I am self employed and have a 5 and a 3 yr old. I am hoping to keep my business going throughout but as it is desk based it’s perhaps easier for me to do that. It will come down to if my customers are happy to keep me on (I do accounts) and I would want a month off when baby comes and then back to it from home after that.

Time will tell if it works I guess!!

I have been self employed during both my pregnancies. Me personally, I take a full year of mat leave and my husband carries on working (he's also self employed, though in a completely separate and unrelated industry). I get maternity allowance, which is enough for us to survive on plus his income, and I saved a bit each month during pregnancy to top myself up, especially after MA runs out after 9 months. If your partner has a successful business, I would personally have him carry on with his work and grow his business and not have him helping you with yours. Ultimately, you'll be better off when you do go back to work having him maximise his earnings rather than doing both.

If you are able to make up extra stock now though, it should be easier to just deal with orders while caring for baby when you do go back. My husband will only be taking off a few weeks when baby arrives, but realistically the first year is tough, so he probably won't work the hours he normally works every single day, so he's spent the past few months making up extra stock so it takes some of the pressure off him when baby arrives. I would make the most of MA if you can survive on it for 9 months, but then find ways to make your melts when your partner can have baby (weekends, etc.) and then do your admin and shipping during the week so you have as much balance as you can. Unfortunately, neither my husband nor I have work that can be done at home while caring for a baby, so we always need childcare once we're both back to work, but if you can stretch it out as long as possible without needing it, that would probably be ideal. It's a bit easier though for us as our older one is in school now.

Hello!

I'm not self employed but I am in the middle of my bachelors degree and have a 4 year old and a full time job PLUS 2 dogs. I will also have to sit my exams in the middle of June while not massive but really quite pregnant lol. My only answer is needing support from my husband and family really and I'm sure it's gonna be the same for you!

I'm self employed and I'm joining this thread because I'm really not sure how we're going to handle things.

I know that if you’re okay to take time off you may be eligible for Maternity Allowance, but I have an online store so it’s not something I can just temporarily close down. But I would be far better off on Maternity Allowance as my business is still new so I’m not seeing a tonne of profit yet.

Tough decisions ahead!

I could probably manage running it, but with the new costs of a new baby and a growing toddler.. Maternity Allowance would make more sense.

I know that if you’re okay to take time off you may be eligible for Maternity Allowance, but I have an online store so it’s not something I can just temporarily close down. But I would be far better off on Maternity Allowance as my business is still new so I’m not seeing a tonne of profit yet.

Tough decisions ahead!

I could probably manage running it, but with the new costs of a new baby and a growing toddler.. Maternity Allowance would make more sense.

Hi! I am self employed as a graphic designer. I plan to hire out for the work I will not be able to do, although I do plan on working until I go into labor. If I didn't have any on going contracts I would probably take off a few weeks. I'm use to having my 2 year old.

When I come home from the hospital I will probably work evenings while my husband is home and while baby is napping during the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->