Pregnancy test says no. Body says yes.

Clueless123

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm unsure of what the next step is. I have done a test but came back negative. But, my body says otherwise. Please help on next step. These are my symptoms..
1. Missed period (7days late)
2. Sore nipples.
3. Large breasts.
4. Heartburn
5. Oily hair.
6. Acne.
7. Weird smells (don't know if a symptom or not)
Any help would be appreciated x

Have you recently stopped birth control? If so, this can cause all manner of pregnancy symptoms! It can also make you 'late', but it isn't actually late, it's your body readjusting to hormones and it can take a while to see a regular cycle.

If you haven't been using hormonal contraceptives then it could be stress, change in diet and/or exercise, medication, hormonal changes, change in weight etc.
Sometimes your cycle can seemingly go nuts temporarily and you won't know why and possibly won't get to the bottom of it, I had this years ago when my period went missing for three months! Then it returned to its usual. Didn't find out why, doctor put it down to stress although I didn't feel more stressed than usual.
If you are actively trying or have had unprotected sex then try another test. If it isn't positive then I would suggest you book in to see your doctor to talk about it. They could do a blood test and if this isn't positive and your period doesn't arrive, then I would ask for a scan. These would definitely rule pregnancy out if you aren't, and possibly show any potential issues causing you to miss your period.
The symptoms, if you want to be pregnant then what with a missed period, sometimes you notice things more than you usually would, and it may be you are seeing all these symptoms and they may have always been there but the missed period is making them feel more obvious. Sometimes our body changes and starts showing these symptoms anyway - I didn't used to have any symptoms of pregnancy but in the last few years I have each cycle after I have ovulated, I have learnt to ignore them unless they change to a point I feel they may be indicating pregnancy

I'm in the same boat.
10 days late for my period (I am VERY regular 28 day cycle)
Blood test..Hcg was <1.2
negative urine tests
sore nipples
nausea, low appetite, not wanting certain things,
weird dreams, heartburn, oily hair, zits in weird places,super tired..

I just want an answer..

Oh okay i didn't realize that. I have been on the pill for 5 years and came off it about 5 weeks ago. had a week long bleed (not sure if withdrawal or peirod) and then i spotted after 2 days of being intimate with my partner straight after bleed.

every thing points to being pregnant but test came back negative straight away, didn't have to wait 3 minutes.

My cycle before the pill was very regular and light but now nothing. I might have to visit the doctor. would you have any idea how long it would take for the body to become normal after being on the pill?

I'm in the same boat.
10 days late for my period (I am VERY regular 28 day cycle)
Blood test..Hcg was <1.2
negative urine tests
sore nipples
nausea, low appetite, not wanting certain things,
weird dreams, heartburn, oily hair, zits in weird places,super tired..

I just want an answer..

I havent had the blood test yet but thinking i might need to. Have you come off the pill recently or have you been TTC. I came off the pill about 5 weeks ago, so im not sure if its my body playing up or i have a fauls negative. :(

Have you recently stopped birth control? If so, this can cause all manner of pregnancy symptoms! It can also make you 'late', but it isn't actually late, it's your body readjusting to hormones and it can take a while to see a regular cycle.

If you haven't been using hormonal contraceptives then it could be stress, change in diet and/or exercise, medication, hormonal changes, change in weight etc.
Sometimes your cycle can seemingly go nuts temporarily and you won't know why and possibly won't get to the bottom of it, I had this years ago when my period went missing for three months! Then it returned to its usual. Didn't find out why, doctor put it down to stress although I didn't feel more stressed than usual.
If you are actively trying or have had unprotected sex then try another test. If it isn't positive then I would suggest you book in to see your doctor to talk about it. They could do a blood test and if this isn't positive and your period doesn't arrive, then I would ask for a scan. These would definitely rule pregnancy out if you aren't, and possibly show any potential issues causing you to miss your period.
The symptoms, if you want to be pregnant then what with a missed period, sometimes you notice things more than you usually would, and it may be you are seeing all these symptoms and they may have always been there but the missed period is making them feel more obvious. Sometimes our body changes and starts showing these symptoms anyway - I didn't used to have any symptoms of pregnancy but in the last few years I have each cycle after I have ovulated, I have learnt to ignore them unless they change to a point I feel they may be indicating pregnancy

Oh okay i didn't realize that. I have been on the pill for 5 years and came off it about 5 weeks ago. had a week long bleed (not sure if withdrawal or peirod) and then i spotted after 2 days of being intimate with my partner straight after bleed.

every thing points to being pregnant but test came back negative straight away, didn't have to wait 3 minutes.

My cycle before the pill was very regular and light but now nothing. I might have to visit the doctor. would you have any idea how long it would take for the body to become normal after being on the pill?

When you take a pregnancy test it's best to wait the full time unless obviously you see something blatantly obvious before, because if it's early on it could be faint and take that time to show.
If you have been on bc for this long then I think chances are it's messing with your hormones and it's taking time to adjust. You have been putting hormones into yourself you wouldn't usually have - usually your body would be in control whereas a pill has been doing it for you for some time. My sister came off the pill for a while after being on it for quite a few years and her cycles were all messed up.
It isn't unusual and you will eventually see your cycle go back to how it should be, but it could take time. Everyone is different, for some their cycle will return to business as usual within a couple of weeks, for others it takes longer. There isn't an average to be honest because it will vary so much between women. I wouldn't be concerned at the moment. I think if you don't see your period in a couple of weeks and you don't see a positive test visit your doctor, but I suspect things are adjusting and isn't anything to worry about. The symptoms you are having are likely to be down to hormones adjusting and I would take this as a good sign your body is trying to get back to how things were before the pill, even though I know how frustrating this can be! It will get there though :)

You aren't "regular" on the pill because you don't have real "periods" on the pill, you have withdrawal bleeds. If working correctly, you do not ovulate on the pill, thus, you have no period. You bleed because you take the placebo pills and your body is no longer getting the steady stream of hormones you were while taking the pill (which mimics pregnancy, in it's suppression of the ovulation cycle).

It can take the body anywhere from one cycle to 6-12 months to regulate after the pill. Some people ovulate straight away and get pregnant easily, it has been said you have a greater chance of fraternal twins after coming off the pill. However, it is much harder to "track" your cycles because they may not be normal for several months.

When you take a pregnancy test it's best to wait the full time unless obviously you see something blatantly obvious before, because if it's early on it could be faint and take that time to show.
If you have been on bc for this long then I think chances are it's messing with your hormones and it's taking time to adjust. You have been putting hormones into yourself you wouldn't usually have - usually your body would be in control whereas a pill has been doing it for you for some time. My sister came off the pill for a while after being on it for quite a few years and her cycles were all messed up.
It isn't unusual and you will eventually see your cycle go back to how it should be, but it could take time. Everyone is different, for some their cycle will return to business as usual within a couple of weeks, for others it takes longer. There isn't an average to be honest because it will vary so much between women. I wouldn't be concerned at the moment. I think if you don't see your period in a couple of weeks and you don't see a positive test visit your doctor, but I suspect things are adjusting and isn't anything to worry about. The symptoms you are having are likely to be down to hormones adjusting and I would take this as a good sign your body is trying to get back to how things were before the pill, even though I know how frustrating this can be! It will get there though :)

Okay no worries, thanks so much for your advice, i really appreciate it. I think it might just be my hormones from the pill unfortunately. I was only getting my hopes up as i was told that within 2-6 weeks a normal period should regulate and sometimes you can fall pregnant really quickly after coming off the pill. as well as all of these other symptoms im now getting white discharge and super tired. i will wait it out a little bit longer but if i dont get a period between now and 2 weeks i will have to go see a doctor. wish i knew how hard it would be to come off the pill once started :(

You aren't "regular" on the pill because you don't have real "periods" on the pill, you have withdrawal bleeds. If working correctly, you do not ovulate on the pill, thus, you have no period. You bleed because you take the placebo pills and your body is no longer getting the steady stream of hormones you were while taking the pill (which mimics pregnancy, in it's suppression of the ovulation cycle).

It can take the body anywhere from one cycle to 6-12 months to regulate after the pill. Some people ovulate straight away and get pregnant easily, it has been said you have a greater chance of fraternal twins after coming off the pill. However, it is much harder to "track" your cycles because they may not be normal for several months.

I always understood the non regular period thing due to being on the pill. but all my research has said that once your off the pill, your period should return withing 2-6 weeks. however nothing. i might have to do some more research. With that being said, even if i havent had a real period only withdrawal bleeding can i still get pregnant now or would i have to wait for an actual period? :cry:

I always understood the non regular period thing due to being on the pill. but all my research has said that once your off the pill, your period should return withing 2-6 weeks. however nothing. i might have to do some more research. With that being said, even if i havent had a real period only withdrawal bleeding can i still get pregnant now or would i have to wait for an actual period? :cry:

If I read correctly, you did have your bleed after the pill, a "long bleed" you body probably started regular cycling after that. When I got off the pill my cycles went into the 35 day range rather than the 28 day range. Can't guarantee if you are ovulating or not, the best way to tell that yourself would be ovulation tests and temping. Getting off the pill is kind of like being post partum, especially if you don't breastfeed - your period should return within 4-6 weeks of getting off the pill, and then return to normal by a few cycles. How quickly you begin ovulating again is up to you and your body, no one on the internet can tell this for you.

It's just hard to say. Most people start cycling after their first bleed off the pill, but it's possible to have anovulatory cycles, super long cycles, short luteal phases, it is all possible. Really it is probable you are cycling or you will be after the next bleed and everything will be normal. But sometimes people have trouble after the pill, a lot of times they don't. There is really no way for me to diagnose over the internet.

But the previous poster is correct, coming off the pill can cause hormonal upset that seems like early pregnancy signs. Without a positive test, it's just symptoms. I can't tell you how many cycles I was sure I was pregnant after I got off the pill, and I wasn't.

The best thing you can do is take a test with your first morning urine, follow the instructions exactly and check at the time indicated and at 10 minutes (usually the max time indiciated). If it is negative, wait a few days or a a week and if you haven't started bleeding take another test. Continue until you bleed or get a BFP.

Once you start bleeding (if you don't get a BFP), I would suggest getting an ovulation test kit. Get one that seems easy for you to use, but has more sticks (since you seem to have a longer cycle). Follow the directions and see if you can confirm your ovulation. This will give you peace of mind to know whether or not you are ovulating and give you a ovulation date, so you can count days past ovulation (dpo) for pregnancy testing purposes. It is more accurate that "late" or when you period is "due" - especially after the pill.

It's just hard to say. Most people start cycling after their first bleed off the pill, but it's possible to have anovulatory cycles, super long cycles, short luteal phases, it is all possible. Really it is probable you are cycling or you will be after the next bleed and everything will be normal. But sometimes people have trouble after the pill, a lot of times they don't. There is really no way for me to diagnose over the internet.

But the previous poster is correct, coming off the pill can cause hormonal upset that seems like early pregnancy signs. Without a positive test, it's just symptoms. I can't tell you how many cycles I was sure I was pregnant after I got off the pill, and I wasn't.

The best thing you can do is take a test with your first morning urine, follow the instructions exactly and check at the time indicated and at 10 minutes (usually the max time indiciated). If it is negative, wait a few days or a a week and if you haven't started bleeding take another test. Continue until you bleed or get a BFP.

Once you start bleeding (if you don't get a BFP), I would suggest getting an ovulation test kit. Get one that seems easy for you to use, but has more sticks (since you seem to have a longer cycle). Follow the directions and see if you can confirm your ovulation. This will give you peace of mind to know whether or not you are ovulating and give you a ovulation date, so you can count days past ovulation (dpo) for pregnancy testing purposes. It is more accurate that "late" or when you period is "due" - especially after the pill.

If I read correctly, you did have your bleed after the pill, a "long bleed" you body probably started regular cycling after that. When I got off the pill my cycles went into the 35 day range rather than the 28 day range. Can't guarantee if you are ovulating or not, the best way to tell that yourself would be ovulation tests and temping. Getting off the pill is kind of like being post partum, especially if you don't breastfeed - your period should return within 4-6 weeks of getting off the pill, and then return to normal by a few cycles. How quickly you begin ovulating again is up to you and your body, no one on the internet can tell this for you.

Okay thanks so much for your help, as you can understand i am only 23 and have just come off the pill with little help around me other then my partner who obviously is as clueless as me. But yes i did have a long bleed and then stopped (intimate in between) and then spotted for 2 days. i was going to get an ovulation test after this period but obviously nothing has come other then a white discharge and im not sure if an oulation test would work until my next cycle comes through. I have read that you can become super fertile after the pill and thats the only reason i am so concerned as to the symptoms and neg test.
If it turns out it the symptoms are just due to the pill withdrawal then im okay with that because at least i know i can start trying. but sitting here with no answers is what is making it super hard. especally cause the more i have no bleed the more i believe im BFP. I would really like to thank you for your help and feel free to send me any more advice. Were obviously very new to this and just want to make sure we are doing everything right :)

Trust me, I've been there. When I first got off the pill, we were NOT TTC and were using withdrawal (which worked fine for us), until we got married and started using NFP. That was probably when I learned a lot more about my cycle and the signs and symptoms of fertility, which is necessary for NFP.

I track my cycles on a webpage, there are apps out there, I use(d) mymonthlycycles.com - it has a lot of ads but it has the functions I need. You can also track your other discharge - your cervical mucus - this is what tells you when you ovulate, when you are fertile or not fertile.

Trust me, I've been there. When I first got off the pill, we were NOT TTC and were using withdrawal (which worked fine for us), until we got married and started using NFP. That was probably when I learned a lot more about my cycle and the signs and symptoms of fertility, which is necessary for NFP.

I track my cycles on a webpage, there are apps out there, I use(d) it has a lot of ads but it has the functions I need. You can also track your other discharge - your cervical mucus - this is what tells you when you ovulate, when you are fertile or not fertile.

I wish it was easier to track the cycles but with no bleed, i dont know many other options. I just had a look at that website and im going to sign up now. any help i can get is appreciated. I have tried to download some apps but there not really helping other then telling me im late, which i already knew :dohh: Im hoping with the knowledge you have given me i will be able to start tracking my monthlys and hopefully fall within the year :haha:

I track my cycles on a webpage, there are apps out there, I use(d) it has a lot of ads but it has the functions I need. You can also track your other discharge - your cervical mucus - this is what tells you when you ovulate, when you are fertile or not fertile.

I wish it was easier to track the cycles but with no bleed, i dont know many other options. I just had a look at that website and im going to sign up now. any help i can get is appreciated. I have tried to download some apps but there not really helping other then telling me im late, which i already knew :dohh: Im hoping with the knowledge you have given me i will be able to start tracking my monthlys and hopefully fall within the year :haha:

Hope so, between ovulation tests and mucus we fell pregnant twice in the first month of trying and once by surprise :haha: (we knew it was fertile day though). A little knowledge goes a long way.

That being said, our first was conceived on a super long cycle. My usuals were 31 days, it would have been a 45 day cycle if I hadn't conceived! I ovulated like 2 weeks late, lol.

Bleed or zero bleed, you can still use OPKs and temp. The best way to utilise OPKs is with temping because an OPK alone can't tell you for certain you ovulated because it's possible to see a lh surge without ovulation. It's possible to see this on more than a single time during a cycle too. You may ovulate, but it isn't guaranteed. The only way to tell the difference between the two is temping because if you do ov, your body will produce progesterone which in turn causes your body temperature to go up slightly, which can be detected using a basal body thermometer (more accurate because it has two decimal places, as opposed to regular thermometers).
You can ovulate without seeing a bleed first - the nurse who removed my implant told me if I didn't wish to become pregnant right away, use protection until I did want to become pregnant because I could be fertile pretty much immediately after removal. I saw my first bleed within a couple of weeks and a 28 day cycle thereafter. This won't happen for everyone of course, some may fall pregnant immediately, some won't see a regular cycle for some time. Some ov, some don't. As misspriss said. But if you want to know more accurately what's happening, buy yourself some OPK test strips, a basal body thermometer and download an app like Fertility Friend or similar, there are loads to choose from. You could use the last time you bled to count from as the first day, but remember this may be inaccurate as you have recently stopped bc

Bleed or zero bleed, you can still use OPKs and temp. The best way to utilise OPKs is with temping because an OPK alone can't tell you for certain you ovulated because it's possible to see a lh surge without ovulation. It's possible to see this on more than a single time during a cycle too. You may ovulate, but it isn't guaranteed. The only way to tell the difference between the two is temping because if you do ov, your body will produce progesterone which in turn causes your body temperature to go up slightly, which can be detected using a basal body thermometer (more accurate because it has two decimal places, as opposed to regular thermometers).
You can ovulate without seeing a bleed first - the nurse who removed my implant told me if I didn't wish to become pregnant right away, use protection until I did want to become pregnant because I could be fertile pretty much immediately after removal. I saw my first bleed within a couple of weeks and a 28 day cycle thereafter. This won't happen for everyone of course, some may fall pregnant immediately, some won't see a regular cycle for some time. Some ov, some don't. As misspriss said. But if you want to know more accurately what's happening, buy yourself some OPK test strips, a basal body thermometer and download an app like Fertility Friend or similar, there are loads to choose from. You could use the last time you bled to count from as the first day, but remember this may be inaccurate as you have recently stopped bc

Okay no worries. i will invest in a basal body thermometer tonight and also ovulation tests. The sooner i know the better. i tried to download the fertility friend but i just couldnt understand how to use it. the simpler the better with these sort of things with me haha. Im hoping to find some natural ways to get the body back to its normal hormone balance. other then that im just going to have to wait it out.. Thanks so much for your help. All help and advice im getting today/yesterday has really helped me branch my knowledge in this department. i feel like its a little easier to read my body after today and feel a little less clueless :)

Fertility Friend looks complicated but listen to the tutorials, it's actually super easy to use. But of you don't get on with it then there are plenty of others to try out; Ovia, Kindara, P Tracker, Glow...

If you want to try to balance your hormones naturally then your first step is to look at your diet. It's essential you are consuming the right amounts of the right vitamins and minerals and your gut health plays a huge role too. Drinking probiotic drinks, or eating probiotic yoghurt or taking a supplement (acidophilus) will help. Evening primrose oil can help balance hormones and making sure you are getting the right levels of vitamins and minerals can be helped with supplements too. You could try a prenatal or preconception multivitamin or add in separately those you feel may require topping up. B complex is essential and make sure you are taking folic acid, ideally three months before conception but taking it asap if you discovered you were pregnant tomorrow will obviously still be beneficial, you have to take it until at least 12 weeks anyway into pregnancy.
Acupuncture is used to help balance hormones as well as promote a regular menstrual cycle and help fertility. It's expensive, but it's worth every single penny imo. There are other therapies as well of course, I only mention this specifically because I have used it myself for various things and know it helps.
In traditional Chinese medicine they believe it's important to have a warm womb and so the use of hot water bottles in the area is said to be beneficial. They also say rest and only do gentle exercises like yoga during your period, but keep on with regular exercise during other times.
It's also important to keep an eye on your cm, as if you aren't producing fertile cm then this could suggest hormonal imbalance (which wouldn't be unusual given you only stopped bc recently) so doing things to promote hormonal balance as well as helping the production of fertile cm like keeping hydrated, taking supplements like evening primrose oil and drinking grapefruit juice - both of which I discovered recently from ladies on here actually! Also fertility lubricants like Preseed and Conceive Plus can help in this department if necessary, they can be ordered easily from Amazon.
If you are on any medication though, be sure to check out for any possible interactions between these things and between themselves too. Even drinking certain fruit juices, if you are taking certain meds they can have serious interactions so be careful and be sure to check for this if it applies to you. If you aren't prescribed any meds, but want to use herbal remedies and supplements still check for interactions between those too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->