Pregnancy tests are expensive! (and confusing)

Cntrygal

Reaction score
I'm starting to take in all things that come with TTC since it's just right around the corner. :happydance: I took a look at the pregnancy test aisle and holy cow! :wacko: Not only were some super expensive, but there were a ton of them!

In my lurking on various boards I've seen ladies mention purchasing cheap-o's online. I've also thought about looking at the Dollar Tree. What am I looking for in a HPT? Ideally the earlier detection the better, but all the numbers associated with HPT's and their sensitivity confuses the heck out of me. :haha:

Anyone wanna share their knowledge of being prepared to test w/out spending a fortune?

as I've been pregnant before and I still test every now and again, I'll tell you what I've found .

1. blue dye , most people have trouble with them as they have been known to give off a evap line ...which leads to more POAS lol

2. FRER , first response Can detect the hormone as early as 6 days before your period is due, this is a common one used by the ladies on the board however some batches have been dodgy , advice is don't open the case unless u see a pink line you want to get a closer look at , as they do tend to develop Evaps which can be pink ...also don't read tests after the time limit has passed.

3. IC- internet cheapies what I've seen some of the lovely American ladies on the board use is wondfos they seem to be quite reliable , I would avoid the blue handled internet cheapys as I've had so many lines on them and was not pregnant, also void the clungene MSU online they are rubbish and have been giving me false positives. I do see some ladies use the dollar store ones also as they r cheap :D

4:clear blue digital...advice use it to confirm a positive test that you've got on something like a frer as it has a lower sensitivity and can show up not pregnant when you indeed are

basically the more sensitive tests are your first response, Internet cheapies and some store brands claim to be 20mui , standard tests range from 25-50 . apparently some day some dr office tests are 100, the ones I've seen and used when I've been a student/patient in ANE were 20-25
don't get too hung up on the numbers though :D
but yea avoid blue dye!

I do not have any experience but am ttc in less than 4 weeks so I have stocked up on supplies. I bought the wondfo brand cheap ones from Amazon, several of them so I don't feel guilty poas too often. I also bought a 3 pack of the clearblue digis with weeks estimator to use after I get a positive with the cheap ones, just to confirm. I have found that all tests (opks and hpts) are cheaper on Amazon than in stores.

First Response Early Result seems the best, because they're pink dye, 12.5mIU in sensitivity and can pick up results around 5-6 before your period's due. You can buy IC's (internet cheapies) with pink dye and a sensitivity of 10mIU. (You can buy 20mIU and 25mIU too, but 10mIU is definitely best).

Best of luck, hope you get your :bfp: soon!

xxx

That's why I am not going to test unless AF is late. You can spend a fortune and go crazy obsessing over lines that are not there.

4:clear blue digital...advice use it to confirm a positive test that you've got on something like a frer as it has a lower sensitivity and can show up not pregnant when you indeed are

I can confirm this - First Response gave me a bright, clear positive days before my period was due, but Clear Blue Digital at the same time gave me a negative. I plan on just going with First Response from now on - it's worth the money to me to have a more accurate and faster response!

I never thought pregnancy tests were this complicated. :shock:

The cheaper the better. Dollar tree ones work great as do the bulk packs you can buy online. You can get them for 20-25 cents online and they are very sensitive.

I'd buy tons of the Internet cheapie dip tests, and a few digital ones. That's what I did with dd2.
I got my faint positive, and then did a clearblue digital, that was obviously positive.
X

I agree with comments to buy internet cheapies just to gain some information/check a possibility, but to use the FRERs 12.5miu and digis 50miu to confirm. The pink dye FRERs are more sensitive than the digis but those both are more expensive.

We were NTNP for awhile and I got test crazy at times lol and you will feel much better using internet cheapies first (Some cheapies are 10 miu as mentioned). Of course if you can't wait for the internet cheapies and need to test right away try going to the dollar store or use a FRER :) Good luck!

You ladies rock!!! So if I buy online will anything on the packaging give anyone the idea they are pregnancy tests? I live on the same property as my in-laws, they are both retired so they will be intercepting the delivery while I'm at work. I do not want them knowing so I have to be super careful. Thanks so much for all the great information! :thumbup:

I bought mine from a company that promises the packaging won't reflect what they are. I had them sent to my workplace :)
I'm sure you can find a company in the US that is similarly discrete.

Im with lozzy on this wait till you're late and you'll only need one xx

I was a poas addict so I have peed on a LOT of sticks. Cheapies are ok but tons of them have lines when there should be none. In an ideal world I would wait until AF has been missed and test with a superdrug brand test which are very reliable and half the price of FRER. However, I always cave and test early. I'm avoiding internet cheapies now and instead I use sure sign from home bargains. They're 89p for two tests and I've never had a line on there that shouldn't be there!!

I got heaps off eBay. They work fine! :) Plus because you get so many for so cheap you can afford to retest a few times to be sure ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"