Pregnancy yoga?

LittleBoo

Intactivist Mummy!
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of either yoga or pregnancy yoga? I've never tried it but have wanted to for years! Where would they run clubs? Or are their any books you'd recommend to start out at home? Thanks in advance :)

i havnt but there is a lady in my peer support traning group who teaches yoga to pregnant ladies and im really intersted in it!

I copy the strange creatures off waybuloo doing yogo with Jack, that gets me in a happy mood :D

I have done yoga for years, at home with DVDS, so I bought some pregnancy DVDS, so that I can continue. I would definately recommend doing it. Heres some links to the dVDs that I currently have on Amazon. I find the Tara Lee one particularly good and enjoyable to do

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pregnancy-...SDG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296241973&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yoga-Me-My-Baby-DVD/dp/B001LM6X2U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296241973&sr=8-2

I would suggest DVDs over books since its much easier to watch someone and listen to directions than to try and figure it out from photos. Most places probably have at least one yoga studio and I think taking classes in person is very fun, though it can get a bit expensive.
I haven't done any of the yoga videos specifically for pregnant women (I tried once and it was too easy since I have been doing yoga for a while) but my favorite DVDs are Ali MacGraw's Yoga Mind and Body and the Vinyasa Flow Yoga by Shiva Rae. There are some positions I don't do when I am pregnant because they are too awkward or uncomfortable, so whatever kind of yoga you do just make sure you listen to your body and don't do anything that hurts.

I did pregnancy yoga and it was great - lots of breathing excercises and techniques to focus you during labour, and each week they would teach you something about the labour a childbirth process (the demonstration of why you need to do pelvic floor exercises was particularly memorable, with a knotted pair of tights (your womb), holding a large bag of spuds (the baby) and several bottles of water (fluid)!). They always finished with a relaxation session that I still use 2 years down the line when I can't sleep. I'll be starting again soon, as long as I can sort some childcare out.

i would definately reccomend it, i did a class locally with my second son and it really helped with pregnancy having some exercise to do and also really prepared my body for labour.

with my first i tore badly and he was 9lb 8 but with my second i didnt even graze and he was 10lb 2, i think i was all stretched out ready and i took the "pushing" stage more calmly.

hope you find somewhere local.

Is yoga better than pilates?
I was thinking of getting a DVD to help exercise :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"