Pregnant and Mining

cassmama

Reaction score
Hi there! I am currently and underground gold miner in a trackless mine, and am expecting! This is going to be my first child and I (naturally) am very concerned about the health risks associated with my job.

It seems everywhere I look I cannot find answers or other women who are in the same position. I do not know for how long it is safe to be working underground and pregnant, as well as my doctor has very little idea. I breathe in deisel fumes and am starting to worry about the toll this will take on my unborn child. Has anyone here been a miner and pregnant? Or deos anyone know where I can turn to for help????

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated and I thank everyone in advance.

Wow! I'm not surprised there's not much information on this. I'm guessing you aren't in the UK (I may be showing my ignorance,) but here it's your employer's responsibility to do a risk assessment and ensure your work doesn't affect your pregnancy. Could you talk with them? Have they had other pregnant employees before?

I mean none of it sounds exactly healthy at all for you or baby. I would maybe consider other options for a job..

I would hate to tell you to leave your job, especially if you need it or love it. But inhaling deisel fumes is bad for your health pregnant or not. Consider a purified oxygen mask. Also consider the risk of being trapped underground God forbid anything awful happens. I worked at an electronics company during my entire first pregnancy. Soldering circuit boards for the military. When I announced my pregnancy I was moved to a non chemical station, I couldn't even work with batteries anymore. And now, three years later, I am back to the boring no chemical station lol. But it's worth it conisdering the risks :) Good luck with your decision

I dont know but i would tell work. im a police officer & i had similar worries re safety. i told work yest & now im on 'protected duties' which means ill b doing admin jobs around the station, but hey, its just too risky.x

The first step might be talking to your doctor and telling them about your occupation. They may not know if the hazards there are a problem, but may be able to research it for you or help you find someone who has knowledge in the area. You could also try to contact the industrial hygienist that works for your company. If you live in the US, you could try to call OSHA or NIOSH for more information as well. Lastly, you could try calling the industrial hygiene or occupational medicine departments at a local university and ask if they have someone on faculty who could talk to you on the phone.

Good luck!

i wouldnt mine if i wasn't pregnant.. for my OWN health, no offense, obviously someone has to mine for us:p and i'm not trying to be rude, but i would be very freaked out.. when they mop the floors in my apartment i wanna wear a sars mask loll

Hahahah thanks everyone for your oppinons.. I let my boss know and theyre going to research what is and is not healthy and most likely give me a surface job doing something much easier (and more boring!!!) My boss also says I may be the first woman in Canada to be going through this so its a very difficult thing to determine. Either way I definately want what is best for the baby and I am being very cautious and wearing a mask in the meantime to help with breathing in any harmful dust/fumes. Thanks! Please feel free to let me know if anyone knows anyone in a similar situation it would be great to hear what her experience is!!!

Hahahah thanks everyone for your oppinons.. I let my boss know and theyre going to research what is and is not healthy and most likely give me a surface job doing something much easier (and more boring!!!) My boss also says I may be the first woman in Canada to be going through this so its a very difficult thing to determine. Either way I definately want what is best for the baby and I am being very cautious and wearing a mask in the meantime to help with breathing in any harmful dust/fumes. Thanks! Please feel free to let me know if anyone knows anyone in a similar situation it would be great to hear what her experience is!!!

Are you in Alberta/NWT etc? Anyways, they are required to accommodate you in a reasonable manner as they cannot fire you for pregnancy (and it sounds like they are willing to work with you on this anyways), so an alternative position without being around fumes or even admin would be suitable. I wouldn't continue working in the mine itself just because you would be around machinery/loose larger items, you don't want to expose yourself to any placental abruption either (it's not just fumes, for example, if you or someone else whacks you in the stomach in tight quarters).

Good luck! :) I worked for the RCMP and pregnant women were automatically given administrative duties as well, it's for the company's own safety as well for liability reasons.

What country are you in?

I work in an automotive shop, my dr said I needed out of there asap because diesel fumes are bad to inhale while pregnant not to mention the chemicals used. In Canada if your employer cannot offer you a job away from the potential harm (and at the same pay) then you are able to go on paid leave either through your extended benefits (if you have them) or ei.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out.

What country are you in?

I work in an automotive shop, my dr said I needed out of there asap because diesel fumes are bad to inhale while pregnant not to mention the chemicals used. In Canada if your employer cannot offer you a job away from the potential harm (and at the same pay) then you are able to go on paid leave either through your extended benefits (if you have them) or ei.

Ooops I see you are in canada too!

If you're in Canada your employer has a legal obligation to modify your work so that it's safe. Work on the surface is a better idea. I work in an industrial oil plant in a chemical lab. My employer had to modify my duties to the point where I can only do half of my job, but hey... That's the law. My doctor specified that I can't do anything that ewould endanger my pregnancy and it was up to my employer to decide how liable they wanted to be. They missed a few things, but I have the right to refuse unsafe work and I've had to say no to a few things. I hope everything works out for you!

I don't know about mining and pregnancy but you sound like you have an interesting job! You could send me some gold if I mail you my address :)

Good luck whatever happens

I know this is an older post but I'm just curious if anyone has more information on this topic since it's 2018?
I found out I'm about 4 weeks and I also work in an underground mine, but in the US. I'm a bit nervous about the whole deal, telling my employers, how long I should wait etc. Any help would be great!

What country are you in?

Congratulations! :) The original poster hasn't logged in for 6 years, but hopefully some other ladies will be able to help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->