Pregnant and Uninsured

Popping in from second trimenster...When i found out I was pregnant i also found out my health insurance didn't cover any maternity care at all. So I went through the process of applying for medicaid through the state. At first I felt weird about it but now I'm so grateful i sucked up my feelings about it and did it because it pays for EVERYTHING, including your hospital stay. It might be worth it to look into it to see if you qualify, I don't know what the income level requirements are in NY but you should be able to find that on NY's dept of health and human services website. Hope that helps!

Look for a midwife, much less expensive. My midwife is charging me $2900 for my prenatal care, my birth and 6 weeks post natal care. I really doubt a medical doctor could come close. Plus if you birth at home, no charges for the hospital.

thats more than my OB...

Popping in from second trimenster...When i found out I was pregnant i also found out my health insurance didn't cover any maternity care at all. So I went through the process of applying for medicaid through the state. At first I felt weird about it but now I'm so grateful i sucked up my feelings about it and did it because it pays for EVERYTHING, including your hospital stay. It might be worth it to look into it to see if you qualify, I don't know what the income level requirements are in NY but you should be able to find that on NY's dept of health and human services website. Hope that helps!

same here...we had insurance but it didnt pay squat on pregnancy...so i got medicaid and it paid for everything, and covered me til almost 3 months PP and haley is covered until 1 yr old then its reviewed again. Wonderful program. in ohio its healthy start, so not sure about NY

Yes, try for the medicaid. Neither myself or my husband have insurance through work, and medicaid is what I am using now. I do know that the income level for medicaid is much more relaxed for a pregnant woman as opposed to a regular person.

And you are correct about some insurance companies claiming pregnancy is a pre-existing condition. This is not the first time I have heard of this happening to someone.

Also, try looking into birth centers/midwives if medicaid is not an option for you. I was looking at a birth center in my city that was charging $3950 for all prenatal care, the delivery, and after care for myself and the baby. Unfortunately, I can't use them because of complications with my last pregnancy. They are much less expensive than regular OB's. I had tried to make an appointment at the OB I am going to now before they could confirm my medicaid coverage, and my half of the payment for the first visit would have been $1500! :cry:

Wow $1500 for your half of the first payment. That is nuts - who has that kind of money especially when you are pregnant and going to be taking a pay cut for at least a little while after the baby is born.

We have the choice of going public (medicare) or private (if you have insurance) in Australia. I am going private as we have had insurance for a few years but a lot of policies won't cover you for pregnancy if you start them once you are pregnant - that whole pre-existing condition thing here too. I have to pay $125 for first appt to see Ob, then $90 for each subsequent appt - but part of that I will be able to claim back from Medicare. I do have to pay a management fee at around 20 weeks of $650 which is quite reasonable (another lady I know was going to go private and she was quoted a management fee of $2500 by 15weeks - which is just ridiculous - these management fees are not covered by insurance or medicare). Also my doctor is a "No Gap" doctor so my insurance will cover all the birthing costs with no out of pocket costs which is one less thing to worry about.

Definately won't be complaining too loudly about the Australian Healthcare system. Good luck ladies - hope you are able to sort out something suitable.

Well, an update: I went to Planned Parenthood today to confirm my pregnancy and inquire about prenatal care and how to pay for it all. The cut off for whatever program it is that they offer is $27,000/year. I make slightly more than that, so it's not an option.

I am waiting to get more info about my health coverage at work, particularly a policy # and a phone # so I can call the provider and ask some questions.

But, aside from the financial crap, I did confirm that I am in fact preggers. My estimated due date is October 2nd.

Hi NatashaZ, most states have two programs - one is essentially Medicaid. The other is a state program that covers women that make too much for Medicaid and too little or have no access for private insurance. In NY it's called Family Health Plus and you usually just have small co-pays. You usually need to be denied by Medicaid first.

You CAN be covered by the Medicaid program if you make too much, you just have to accumulate medical bills. Exactly how much depends on how much you make total. Your first stop should be to the local Department of Human Services to fill out a Medicaid application. I'd also call Family Health Plus to get information from them (if your private insurance won't cover your maternity care).

Good luck, there are options! :hugs:

And for those of you in the UK, be thankful for NHS! My OB wanted $3,200 up front before they'd even see me. Yuck!

I went through the women's center in my town. They were able to give me a free pregnancy test to confirm I'm pregnant. They informed me on my next steps how to get what. They have a medical center, which i will more than likely use. I went to their medical center for my first prenatal visit.
They loaded me with tons of information and ordered all my blood work, along with setting me up with insurance through our welfare office.
Because I am medically announced pregnant, I can qualify for medical through welfare. The ladies at the medical center helped me fill out the information. They told me because I am married and now pregnant I can claim a family of 3 instead of 2. Although the baby is not here yet, they still consider it a family of 3. Which increases our chances of getting food stamps along with WIC.
It took a ton of stress off of me and I can completely enjoy this pregnancy without worrying about health insurance or any of my financial.
Maybe there is something in NY like that, that could help you?
I'm very glad I am getting all the help and information possible.
Good luck to you and congrats!!

Yes, I second what menageriemom said. There is a program that is state run that you can qualify for if Medicaid will not cover you. Here the co-pays are $20, I think.

I think it's nuts that the OB's fees are so high. I definitely didn't have the money lying around to pay that much for the office visit. Thankfully they were able to confirm my coverage before the appt. happened.

Now that I think about it, their fees are probably that high because the cost of their insurance (medical malpractice).

Oh my I cannot believe the costs in other countries. Here in NZ maternity is all free, scans, midwives, OB's if you are referred for a complication, hospitals, birthing units etc. How on earth does anyone afford to have a child???
The only medical cost is for my 12 week scan as I am going private for a bigger newer machine at a clinic rather than a hospital. It'll cost me 50 dollars for scan, pictures, and a copy to my email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"