Pregnant IMMEDIATELY after miscarriage, and kind of freaked out - UPDATE Dec. 2

Rhiannon137

Reaction score
So, the thread title pretty much sums it it up. I was hoping anyone who has been in a similar situation could share their experiences and outcomes (positive or negative).

For those who like a long back story, here it is . . .

I am 37 years old, and have a 20 month old son. That pregnancy and delivery was uncomplicated and uneventful. We started trying for number 2 over the summer, and I was very excited to find out I was pregnant in September. Sadly, that pregnancy ended at 6 weeks in a natural miscarriage.

Everything seemed to be going well until I started spotting on October 17, progressing quickly to very heavy bleeding, clots, etc. that lasted for 2-3 days, followed by another 2-3 days of light period-type bleeding. I had not yet been to see my ObGyn prior to the MC, but spoke to him on the second day of the heavy bleeding (this, of course, happened over a weekend when I was alone with my son who was sick at the time); he agreed that it sounded like I was definitely miscarrying, and he confirmed my knowledge that there was nothing to be done. He said he would be happy to examine me but, as long as the bleeding stopped within a week, it was probably not necessary. He also advised me to take a home pregnancy test after 2 weeks to make sure it was negative.

The bleeding stopped within a week. By Oct. 26, I had a test that was practically negative. By Oct. 30, I had a test that was so white you could have told racist jokes about it. I was sad about the loss of the pregnancy, but realistic that my advanced age had probably produced an egg that cycle that would never have been able to lead to a baby. I mostly felt relieved that things had happened early, naturally, and obviously, without a drawn-out "will I, or won't I?" saga, and I was ready to move on.

The doctor did advise waiting a full cycle to start trying again, and (obviously) I was lax about that. I wasn't specifically "trying". My thought process was more along the lines of "Yeah - I'm 37 years old, and I just had a miscarriage. I better be REAL careful, or I might get pregnant right away. Yep. Seems like a real concern..." So, from Oct. 25 forward, DH and I just followed our urges and probably DTD ~10 times over the next 2-3 weeks.

Towards the end of last week, I started feeling nauseated and "off" pretty frequently. On Saturday 11/14 I decided to take an HPT just so I could see the negative result and not let my brain get carried away with the batshit notion that I might be pregnant again. I'm not sure I've ever seen a Wondfo give two lines so quickly. That test, the other 6 I took that afternoon, and the ones I've taken daily since have all been strong positives.

Needless to say, that is not the result I was expecting. I am excited, terrified, happy, anxious - basically a whole bunch of AllOfTheFeelings. I have an appointment scheduled for an ultrasound on Dec. 2. If I counted the first day of the miscarriage as my "period" that would put me at 6w3d. I declined the suggestion to do serial betas in the meantime (as long as things seem to be going normally). I'm trying to stay relaxed about this, and having numbers to obsess over won't help with that. They also won't change the outcome, and won't change any actions I take between now and Dec. 2 regardless of whether they look good or bad.

So, that's my long story. Fingers crossed. Again, I appreciate any input that anyone can offer. Thank you already if you've managed to read this whole novel of a post!

Hi.

Sorry to hear about your loss in September. I had a loss earlier this year and since we had been trying for over 3 years at that point, I had multiple LONG talks with my doctors and staff about the balance between wanting to try again quickly and wanting to heal physically and emotionally.

I can pretty confidently say that I learned of absolutely 100 percent no MEDICAL reason to not get pregnant immediately. The closest to "medical" reason was because it's harder for them to date what day exactly you conceived. I don't really consider that "medical" though, more "convenience" in my opinion. That's generally the reason many places suggest waiting until one full cycle later.

The places that say to wait more, like two or three, are generally taking emotional healing into consideration.

For me, after so many years of trying for our first child, the miscarriage was SUCH a blow (and it took SO long to be "finished" it was 6-7 weeks before I could even get a negative pregnancy test) I decided to wait the three months. And I'm personally glad I did. I would not have been ready.

In your case it sounds like you were ready, which is all that matters. So if your question is, is there any reason to be concerned because you DIDN'T wait, my answer is really a very strong no. Nothing wrong with it at all. In fact, our bodies are usually slightly more fertile right after a miscarriage, and (generally speaking, lol) mother nature is no fool, so if we weren't meant to get pregnant right after a miscarriage I don't think that would happen.

So I say 150% congratulations and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it!!!!

Congrats, no experience with it, but I just wanted to say FX for you!!

I'll chime in with a success story. :)
My son Tyler was conceived immediately after a miscarriage. So soon that I was told I couldn't possibly be pregnant. Seeing as he turns 2 in February, I was very clearly pregnant. :rofl: He was considered a high risk pregnancy at first when they first confirmed his existence with an ultrasound. I had monthly ultrasounds with him until 20 weeks. Despite how perfect he is, they wanted to make sure. It was definitely reassuring at the time. He disliked all the noise though! :rofl:

He was born 100% healthy and is one of the sweetest, most lively boys you could ever meet. :) I may be biased. ;)

So congratulations and I hope that your little one stays with you. <3 It can be such a stressful time full of doubts but there are plenty of success stories around. :)

Awwww, congrats to you and I'm so sorry for your loss. I think our bodies know when they are ready, and a 6 week pregnancy does not take any toll on your uterus (per my Dr - a 9 week pregnancy does not either), so getting pregnant right away is perfectly fine. Like the previous poster said, they just like you to wait for dating purposes. My husband is actually a rainbow baby...his mom didn't have a cycle after her miscarriage and got pregnant with him right away. I can say for certain that he is absolutely perfect 34 years later. <3

Welcome! I will keep you in my thoughts, I hope this is a sticky little baby for you. :hugs:

I'm so sad to hear about your loss, but very happy to see you got pregnant again right away! I had a loss last cycle and am now pregnant again too, though I have long cycles so I guess my body had a bit of time to recover (my loss started on Friday, 2nd October). I don't think there is any negative to being pregnant after an early loss, only to ones emotions.

I am 33 years old I had an early miscarriage which started on March 1st, bleeding was similar to a very bad period and lasted for about a week. I then got a positive pregnancy test on March 21st, exactly 3 weeks after the miscarriage started. I am now due with that baby in 2 1/2 weeks and everything has been perfectly fine during the pregnancy.

Congrats and good luck!

I had this exact thing happen to me too, miscarriage at 6ish weeks and then bled for a little over a week and got pregnant the next month
The pregnancy went great and I now have a gorgeous 3 year old son!
And now I'm pregnant again after having a D&C which this time took 4 months of full on trying to conceive but hopefully it's a sticker this time!
Best of luck :) I'm sure it will all work out perfectly :flower:

Hi!

Thank you for sharing your story - I had (and am having) a similar experience.

Before my son was born (second child) I miscarried and got pregnant immediately afterward. I went on to have a very healthy pregnancy and now have a wonderful little boy bringing joy to my life every day.

Three months ago, my husband and I had an oopsies and I ended up pregnant again. This one wasn't planned, and I was really scared - money is tight and my littlest is still nursing. Well, I ended up miscarrying at 6 weeks and decided that I wouldn't try again until December. I started taking the pill this month, and my husband is on a medication that lowers sperm count, I thought for sure we were safe to have fun and not worry about getting pregnant until we decide to try. I am not having any obvious pregnancy symptoms - but the past week I've been having crazy dreams, getting stronger migraines, I've been really tired and I've started waking up needing to pee. I have 3 days until my period will start, but I thought to myself this morning that I should just take the test so I can find out I'm not pregnant and stop worrying.

Surprise!

The test was positive and now here I am with you. I'm still at a loss, no one knows. I am not sure I want to tell my husband yet because I am just not ready. Next week is Thanksgiving and I have to figure out someway to not drink wine without giving it away.

Sigh. It's nice to know that we're in this together though! It's a little nerve wracking being pregnant so soon after a MC.

@Littlelotus I haven't told my OH yet either. Also, I love your profile picture!

My 2 year old daughter was conceived right after a miscarriage tested about 5 weeks after my levels went down to 0 and it was positive :)

My doctor said that there was no need to wait and tru again.

So very sorry to hear of your loss. Congratulations though on your new pregnancy :) I had a mc about 6 weeks on 12 March 2013, on the 12th April I had my bfp with my son! I actually conceived in the same month that I lost the other one. I don't get why doctors say to wait a couple of cycles really. Anyway can understand your anxieties, I had an early private scan at 8 weeks and that really helped ease my mind. Good luck! Xx

Thank you so much, everyone, for your kind words and for sharing your experiences. I am trying to stay relaxed and optimistic about this. There are times when I feel very zen - what is meant to be is what will be, and there are times when I am decidedly less zen.

My husband and I had been pretty much NTNP over the summer, but did not absolutely have our hearts set on a second baby (more what will be, will be). The MC made us realize that we both really want another. In that sense, the stakes feel a little higher. I know the emotional toll will be greater if I lose this one, but I think that would still be true if I had waited a few months.

Fingers crossed for now, and hoping for good news at Dec 2 scan.

So I just had my U/S, and I am indeed pregnant with one baby! We saw the heartbeat, but could not measure a rate bc it is so early and it was just an abdominal scan. Baby measured 6w2d, which was about as far as I could possibly be.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic and will go back in 2 weeks for a better look.

Congratulations on your scan results! I hope you're feeling more reassured as a result. I've heard lots of stories about fertility being higher right after a miscarriage so lots and lots of women have been in your shoes. I hope you continue to have only good news with this pregnancy! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->