Pregnant mom says sandwich arrest was 'horrifying'

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Club' started by YoshiPikachu, Nov 13, 2011.

1. YoshiPikachu

YoshiPikachu Mama to Hannah and Joseph

2. Whitbit22

Whitbit22 Proud Mommy

What an outrage! I feel so bad for these people!

3. ovetta2001

ovetta2001 Well-Known Member

I have someone I know who lives in the area and from what I understand...she was actually in the wrong.

She didn't pay for her food with money...she had food stamps (NOTHING wrong with that) but you cant pay for prepared food with stamps and apparently they placed their wrappers under the baby carrier...almost hidden on purpose. I find it difficult to believe that TWO adults forgot to pay for their food that they shouldn't have been eating in the first place without paying for.

If this was just some teenage boy who had forgotten he would have been placed out to burn...I feel she pulled the 'I'm pregnant and have a child' card and was misusing it.

Yes Safeway were a bit OTT with their reaction...but stealing is stealing. They just followed policy.

We can't sit here and say...because other people get away with things her case should have been treated differently. Everyone at some point was in the wrong...And TBH I don't think the mother was as innocent as her tears...

4. YoshiPikachu

Oh I see.

5. Whitbit22

Whitbit22 Proud Mommy

She says, "I asked to talk to a manager and he said it was against their policy to pay for items that left the store,"

But I guess you don't really get the full story here, I hadn't taken the time to notice. There are no comments from authorities or anything like that, it is only her side of the story. Thanks for pointing that out. Will go look for a better article.

6. JohnsPrincess

JohnsPrincess Well-Known Member

Yeah, we only get one side of the story, so who knows. But if that's their blanket policy...that's pretty bad. I was shopping somewhere once - I think Walmart but I can't remember - and picked up a magazine and put it in the seat part of my cart. When I got tired of carrying my purse I put it in the seat too. And then...completely forgot about the mag until I got to the car and picked up my purse again! I went back in and paid for it, but if this had been Safeway would I have been arrested? I know it's sort of different, but I *did* leave the store with it and it was "hidden", though not on purpose. I think Dh and I have done that with pet food in the undercarriage before, too!

7. Wantingbbbump

Wantingbbbump Airyonna is here 4/2/2012

I think that she didn't do anything wrong and Safeway has now dropped the charges after going over the video and reading the reports. They weren't trying to steal and were going to pay the just forgot. I myself have done this. At a store I shop at all of the time the manager claims to have the same policy ad Safeway. I was taking the item back in to pay for it and the checker said that I was lucky the manager wasn't working that day because he would have had me put in jail. She told everyone that if he was on and this happened just to keep going. He was a jerk and banned my 3 year old for grabbing candy at the checkout and I didn't know that he had done it so I took it back to pay. He said my son couldn't come back to the store...really he was 3!!! Thank god this guy no longer works there because people started calling and turning this guy in to corporate!!

8. Whitbit22

Whitbit22 Proud Mommy

Wow that is just insane!! I can't believe that, because in our area in the stores they are not allowed to say anything. I know because I used to work at a gas station and kids would come in all the time, grab a gatorade and leave. I wasn't allowed to chase them or say a word. Thats one of the reasons I think this story is SO messed up.

I have also forgotten to pay before! Once we had a bag of potatoes under the cart and had to take them back in and pay, so it definitely happens a lot and doesnt mean you're a bad person, everyone forgets sometimes!

9. YoshiPikachu

Oh my god that is just plain wrong! How are you going to ban a 3 year old!

10. Fruitmash

Fruitmash Well-Known Member

In all honesty, I kind of get it. IMO, if you eat food that you haven't paid for, it's stealing. Regardless of if you're pregnant. But as a cashier, that might be why it annoys me so much. You won't believe the amount of times I go to face stock and find empty wrappers littering the shelves. Half drank cola bottles. So annoying. But I think that the world needs to pick their battles. I do believe that what she did was stealing, but with the time and effort going into prosecuting them over a sandwich could have gone looking for other criminals. Sods law at that point someone was stealing something more expensive, and then they would have gotten away with it. But still. If it was where I worked, she would have been made to pay, and then banned from the store. It's one thing to forget to put something on the till, or for your child to grab something and you not see it (hence why I always kindly ask if a childs toy or sweet is from somewhere else), but if you consume food then don't pay for it, it's different. That's stealing.

11. Jaylynne

Jaylynne Well-Known Member

It's accidental stealing which is completely different from purposefully trying to hide it and then taking items with the intent of not paying for it. They saved the wrapper to pay for at checkout and simply forgot about it. Seriously, it's $5. I think it's fine for the store to point it out and they should have paid for it after it was pointed out not be prosecuted and daughter taken. That's ridiculous, a waste of taxpayer money, and horrible for the parents and daughter. Focus on those PURPOSEFULLY stealing.

12. robinator

robinator Guest

I'm craving a chicken salad sandwich now.

13. mnjhowell

mnjhowell Well-Known Member

I agree it is stealing to eat it before you pay for it. I also heard that Safeway had videos of this couple doing this a few times over a 2 week period. I have no sympathy for them at all. If my teenage children did this they would have not just let them pay for it and walk away.

14. ovetta2001

ovetta2001 Well-Known Member

At the end of the day...If this wasn't some pregnant woman and her husband and just some kid he would be left out to hang.

Yes Safeway handled it badly...but if she had paid for it in the first place it wouldn't have happened and I bet you she will remember to pay for her food next time :)