• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Pregnant with under active thyroid, advice?

LeeLouClare

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I've just found out I'm about 5 weeks. However after my last pregnancy I developed under active thyroid, and I have no idea what to expect. My doctor told me he'd refer me to an apologist of sorts lol? Can not remember what he said? I'm having my bloods done on Wednesday.
Excited though!!!
Clare x

Congratulations! I have hypothyroidism all the time (Hashimoto's meaning my body attacks my thyroid, and it underproduces). I see an endocrinologist who tests my levels about every 6 weeks during pregnancy. Some endocrinologists test every 3 months, but if they're concerned that your levels might change suddenly/drastically, probably more often. Anyway, it sounds like you're being well taken care of already, so your little embryo will be just fine. :)

Thank you very much! Congrats to you too! I'm so excited!!

I was diagnosed with sub-clinical hyperthyroidism in my last pregnancy but my levels fluctuated between over/under active. I see an endocrinologist now and he said that if I plan to have another LO/find myself pregnant I have to call up for an appointment asap so that they can get me medicated appropriately and increase the frequency I get my levels checked (I'm on 6 weekly blood tests but was every 10 days during pregnancy and in the first few months after she was born). I'd call your doctor and ask them what they want you to do, I'd imagine they'll want to get you in and your medicine reviewed fairly quickly.

Pregnancy has a profound impact on the thyroid gland and thyroid function since the thyroid may encounter changes in hormones and size during pregnancy. Mild hyperthyroidism often is monitored closely without therapy as long as both the mother and the baby are doing well. The treatment of hypothyroidism in a pregnant woman is the same as for a man or non-pregnant woman, namely, adequate replacement of thyroid hormone in the form of synthetic levothyroxine. The treatment goal of hypothyroidism in pregnancy is to maintain a thyroid hormone level within high normal range.

Hypothyroidism is failry common during pregnancy. I have hypothyroidism nomrally and when I'm pregnant my meds have to be upped. When I got pregnant with my 2nd they tested it and my tsh was at 12! It's supposed to be under 3 :nope: I was terrified of miscarriage since it can take awhile for the meds to get in your system, but everything turned out fine, she 14 months old now. I just had my tsh checked for this pregnancy and they were a little above 3 so they only upped my dose slightly. As long as you are monitored and receive the necessary treatment it shouldn't pose a threat to your pregnancy. Keep in mind that you may need to stay on the higher dose while you're nursing too. I dropped back down to my pre-pregnancy dose after I had my first child and my tsh was at a 7 and i felt like crap, so you may have to stay on the meds for some time postpartum too.. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"