Prenatal Vitamin MISTAKE!!!!

brunette&bubs

Mommy to James
Reaction score
So I just found out I have been taking these prenatal vitamins that I have incorrectly for ALMOST 8 WEEKS! :dohh:

They are from whole foods and I had been taking one pill once a day...
Well on the directions it said to take two pills three times a day!!!!

I went and bought some new ones that you only have to take once a day.

But now I'm freaking out about the well being of my baby.
I've had 3 scans where everything looked great.
What is the worst that can happen from this?

Don't worry. I am sure everything is okay.

I also had a prenatal vitamin mishap. Mine came in a package with two different bottles - one was dha and one was the prenatal. I didn't know this and thought it was just a two pack and the dha and prenatal was in one vitamin. It was about two months into my pregnancy before I realized I only took the dha pill and I was freaking out. But, everything has been perfect.

If you eat even a somewhat balanced diet, you are getting all of the vitamins you need. And remember that people didn't always take prenatal vitamins and have had perfectly healthy babies.

Try not to panic - your body only takes whats needed in folic acid and the rest is waste ;)

Think of all those people who don't know they are pregnant until 8 weeks or so and weren't trying to get pregnant. Their babies are healthy without the prenatals. Don't stress. Even some vitamin is better than none.

Im sure all will be fine, think of all these unplanned babies and they seem fine. Plus i dont think my mum took any vits when she was having me and my sister and we turned out fine. Also long as you eat some fruit and veg youll be fine.

I was told by my Dr. that prenatals are more for you than baby. The baby will take everything he / she needs from your body and that's where the extra vitamins come into play. Like someone else said, some people don't even know they're pregnant at this point and in countries like Africa, vitamins aren't even taken throughout the entire pregnancy. Relax:thumbup:

It is really only the folic acid you need. If you have a good diet then it should be ok. Incidences of neural tube defects occur because of folic acid deficiency but to be be honest, if you weren't taking it prior to conception, then starting afterwards wouldn't really decrease your chances.

Normal, healthy woman have a 1 in 10,000 chance of a birth defect due to folic acid deficiency.

I was told by my Dr. that prenatals are more for you than baby. The baby will take everything he / she needs from your body and that's where the extra vitamins come into play. Like someone else said, some people don't even know they're pregnant at this point and in countries like Africa, vitamins aren't even taken throughout the entire pregnancy. Relax:thumbup:

Yes, and in places like Africa babies born with defects due to poor mother nutrition die after birth too. Folic acid is essential! Do not ever use any excuse not to take it prior and during your first trimester!

Accidents do happen in which case start straightaway. But the damage can be done already. I don't want to scare anyone. But it is true! I started folic acid in my first pregnancy at 7 weeks and my son developed spina bifida and hydrocephalus as a result of my deficiency. That doesn't mean it will happen to you... But you shouldn't risk it.

since you live in the us i wouldnot worry too much. a lot of food here is fortified with vitamins, minerals, and folic acid. i think you would need to live on nothing but junk food to not get most of what you need from your diet.

good luck

Hi, I wouldn't worry I'm sure everything is fine. If anyone here wants some pregnacare vitamins I can send them to you because they make me really ill!!! I'm taking the Sanatogen ones now.

Yes, and in places like Africa babies born with defects due to poor mother nutrition die after birth too. Folic acid is essential! Do not ever use any excuse not to take it prior and during your first trimester!

Accidents do happen in which case start straightaway. But the damage can be done already. I don't want to scare anyone. But it is true! I started folic acid in my first pregnancy at 7 weeks and my son developed spina bifida and hydrocephalus as a result of my deficiency. That doesn't mean it will happen to you... But you shouldn't risk it.

I actually can agree with this as I have Spina Bifida Acculta, other various back defects I was born with, and nerve damage. My dosage of folic acid was 4mg and the pharmacy was hesitant at first to fill my prescription. As for the babies in Africa, yes some are born with defects and die after birth but that can happen anywhere and to anyone, just like you said.

So! I'm 7 weeks and have made the same mistake!!! How did things turn out for you?

Well seeing as the OP is 4 years old and in her signature it says "James is 3 years old" I think I'm safe to assume baby James was okay. :) you'll be fine, just take the vitamins correctly from now on (really the only one you need is folic acid, everything else is a plus.)

in the first month of my pregnancy i only took one flinstone but after getting a dietary recommendation from my midwife appointment, i now take two flintstones a day. i did feel worried that i was only getting half of what baby needed but things are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->