Prenatal vitamins question

RainbowDrop_x

Reaction score
I can't remember from being pregnant with DD, how long are we "supposed" to take them for? I'm sure it used to be the 1st 12 weeks but I read somewhere it's now the entire 9 months?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm totally convinced it's the vitamins making me feel so crap, I forgot to take one a couple of days ago and felt brilliant! Of course I'll take them because their good for baby just wondered when I can stop them

I take them throughout the 9 months because of the extra nutrients both you and baby need. I think it's the folic acid that you only need for 1st trimester- I think anyway!

Why not switch brands? Some brands make me sick others don't...

It definitely could be the brand making you sick! Switch to a higher quality one where the iron is from a more natural source and they probably won't make you sick! (New Chapter, My kind Garden if Life, Nature's Plus, etc)

Have you tried gummy prenatals? I haven't used them yet this pregnancy because I'm trying to get through an expensive bottle of regular pills I bought first ha, but I switched to them during my last pregnancy and it made a huge difference!

Agreed, it could be the brand and never take them with milk or an empty stomach. I kniw if I eat certain foods when I take them it makes me sick. Also, I read you take them while ttc, pregnancy, and the duration of your breastfeeding.

I was told to take them until I finished breastfeeding. As everyone else said - try another brand.

Which ones are you taking hun? Making me wonder if mine might be making me feel worse xxx

Just a boots own brand folic acid & vitamin D, it's the same one I took when I was pregnant with DD and I never had any problem with them.

I take them throughout pregnancy! Switch the brand. The ones I take have vitamin B6 and I actually think they tlhave lessened my morning sickness. :)

I use the One A Day prenatal plus DHA.. it's 2 separate bottles one is prenatal vitamins and the other DHA capsules.. i take them at night before bed with milk or water.. it's the only prenatal I've ever been able to take without throwing up.. all the others I tried with my 2 previous pregnancies made me violantly ill.. i think they are great and they actually make me feel better and a little less moody.. i forgot mine last night and I can tell a difference today..

I use the one a day with dha. It can mess with you at first and especially if you don't eat. The reason I say no milk is that even though it makes the pill easier to swallow and less nausea after, calcium is hard to absorb. If you take your prenatal with milk, your body won't absorb all of the nutrients you are putting in. It is why when you compare their women's to prenatal you notice the prenatal has less calcium. So no calcium within two hours of your pre natal.

if they're really bugging you then I agree with the other posters who suggested switching to gummies. They treated my stomach much better with my first than the regular old hard pills did!

I agree with trying a different brand or gummies. One thing that has always helped me not get nauseous from pills is to take them before bed. That way I'm asleep soon and it's not bothering me for hours. This doesn't work for everyone though of course.

i think you're probably taking the same as me - i'm on boots own brand folic acid. went and bought 180 of the bloody things - not realising that they might not agree with me! I took one without breakfast when i was in a rush the other week and it was the worst! I've now switched to taking them in the evening with my main meal and it's helping but i wouldn't buy them again!

I've never seen gummy ones here, am I being blind?! I'd much prefer those xxx

I never take them on an empty stomach, I've always taken them first thing with breakfast (which includes zero milk as dairy still makes me queasy).

I've swapped to a different boots own brand that also has B vitamins and ginger and haven't been feeling as bad the last couple of days.

The pregnancy gummies must be an American thing as I definitely can't find any here, my daughter takes a multivitamin, which is a one a day gummy but pregnancy ones seem to be non existent unless I'm looking in the wrong places :dohh:

I tool folic acid for first 15-16 weeks. Then spoke to midwife and she said to change to a combined vitamin dosage so I'm now on pregnacare x

I'm doing groceries today but I don't think we have prenatal gummies here either (Alberta, Canada)

I looked in boots and couldn't see any xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->