Prenatals, Birth Control and Breastfeeding

samisshort

Mama to 2 boys
Reaction score
I have been taking gummy vitamins since about 10 weeks of pregnancy. (around the time I found out) And recently about 2-3 weeks ago when I had my WIC appointment, he checked my blood and told me my iron was a little low. So at my appointment last week, I told my doctor about it so he prescribed a different prenatal vitamin for me. Se-natal 19 oral tablets. It has iron in it which is what I need.

I've had my first one tonight, and it was perfect. I didn't get nauseous or anything. Just have to eat a small meal with it, and a glass of water.

So, I have a question.... Can I still take these while I'm breastfeeding? I plan to BF when Alex is born, so I don't really know if I can take them still. I should have asked my doctor, but I just wanted to see if these worked good for me and my body.

Also, can I take birth control pills after Alex is born? I don't know if the birth control is bad for breast milk....

Can I even take birth control pills with prenatal vitamins at the same time? :dohh: Kind of silly, but I just don't feel like waiting 3 weeks to ask my doctor.

I've never heard anything about not being able to use birth control while taking prenatals, they're just vitamins aren't they? :shrug:

I've never heard anything about not being able to use birth control while taking prenatals, they're just vitamins aren't they? :shrug:

Yes they're just vitamins, I just think I'm not thinking properly at the moment because well, these vitamins are new to me and it's also almost 3 in the morning for me :haha: I think I'm going to bed!!

cant think why you wouldnt be able to use them it should be fine :)

You should be ok :flower: Loads of girls go back on BC when they breastfeed, I think someone would of said by now if it could affect it in any way

Also LOVING your siggy! :thumbup:

You should be ok :flower: Loads of girls go back on BC when they breastfeed, I think someone would of said by now if it could affect it in any way

Also LOVING your siggy! :thumbup:

Thank you :cloud9: He's my little monkey boy, lol

Yes! :D

You will need to talk to your doctor about which birth control pill works best though as some do affect your breast milk!

Yes. Most prenatals are recommended for before, during, and after pregnancy.

Regarding birth control, yes, you can take it while BFing. Your doctor will probably put you on the mini pill if you want to take something orally. I'm not sure if you are considering other BC methods. If so, you can talk about your options with your doctor in a few weeks. :D

wow... I mentioned to my OH that it is hard to get pregnant while exclusively breastfeeding and so I'll probably go in after the babies born to ask what they recommend (NZ is awful with giving advice before the fact.. I went in to ask about financial assistance after I stopped being a student so I could keep paying rent and they told me to come back once I'd stopped getting money ..thanks!) and he goes "hey maybe we can try this birth control method where we don't have sex when you're fertile, you won't get pregnant" (this is what we were doing when I got pregnant.. he was uber sarcastic about it) :dohh:

Yes, they actually advise you continue to take prenatal vitamins while you breastfeed. Since it'll still go through to your LO through your breastmilk. Also, you can take birth control, there's a lot of different options for BFing mothers, like the minipill, IUD, shot, etc. You just need to speak to your dr about it! And yes you can take prenatals and birth control at the same time, nothing wrong with it!

Lol! That's what my cousin calls my Zander too! XD This is just getting scary.
Are you doing him a safari theme for his nursery or bedding or whatever?

Yes I am! I've already got the stuff ready to order. It's really cute! It's green/brown :flower: I'll attach the pics of what I'm getting. This is what I'm deciding on for now since this is all they have, that's why I'm not ordering until February (when my baby shower is) So just in case anything cuter comes in lol

Attachments

• 0003288416962_300X300.jpg
    0003288416962_300X300.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 0003288416961_300X300.jpg
    0003288416961_300X300.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 0003288417028_300X300.jpg
    0003288417028_300X300.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 0009231709359_300X300.jpg
    0009231709359_300X300.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 13162496.jpg
    13162496.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2

Yes I am! I've already got the stuff ready to order. It's really cute! It's green/brown :flower: I'll attach the pics of what I'm getting. This is what I'm deciding on for now since this is all they have, that's why I'm not ordering until February (when my baby shower is) So just in case anything cuter comes in lol

I looked at that set! XD I'm doing Zander's stuff in Lion King. :) He recognizes the songs when I play them now! I sing them to him constantly. And Puff The Magic Dragon. :thumbup:

I looked at that set! XD I'm doing Zander's stuff in Lion King. :) He recognizes the songs when I play them now! I sing them to him constantly. And Puff The Magic Dragon. :thumbup:

Awh how cute! :thumbup: I would sing to my little boy but I'm seriously scared he won't like my voice then, lol :haha:

Awh how cute! :thumbup: I would sing to my little boy but I'm seriously scared he won't like my voice then, lol :haha:

SING TO HIMMMMMMMMMMMM! He'll recognize your voice above others if you do. :) And if you play/sing certain songs more than others, he may be like Zander and recognize them and "dance!"

I was wondering this and I looked at a lactation supplement at the store and it only had 9 mg of iron in it. I looked it up and I have read several places you actually need less iron. Here's something from storknet on it, but I'd definitely ask your doc.

Nutrition Tips for Lactating Moms
Nutrient needs for lactation are similar to pregnancy needs except the need for iron is much less. Lactating women usually don't menstruate so their need for iron is even less than that of a non-pregnant woman that is having regular menstrual cycles. The pregnancy diet guide is a good place to start for helping with basic food selections.
https://www.storknet.com/ip/reproductive_years/delivery/breastfeeding.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"