prenatals + extra vitamin C

daisybby03

Mom of 3!
Reaction score
I woke up this morning with a sore throat and feeling rather sick. My husband was sick all last week with a cold/sinus infection thing. I really don''t want to get sick, expecially this late in the pregnancy game. I was thinking about taking Vitamin C pills along with my prenatals so I can kick this cold out of me. What do you guys think? That would be 620 MG of vitamin c in a day...I don't think that's to much..heck, some pills come in 1000 MG pills.

Well, tell me what you all think before I call the doctors office..I hate calling about stuff like that:)

Studies have shown that high doses late in pregnancy (above 400mg/day) can seriously increase the risk of baby developing scurvy after birth. Drinking an extra glass of orange juice should be enough to help combat a cold without overdosing on the Vit C.

i was gonna say the same thing as above... or try eating an orange each day... also things like cranberry & lots of other fruit & fruit juices have naturally occurring vitamin C in too. You might also try the head over hot water & steam for clearing your sinusses (sp?), keeping well hydrated & if you have a temp or pain, just normal paracetamol. Can't think of anything else off of the top of my head, lol. Hope you feel better soon though. :)

Good question.... my doctor said I should up my vitamin C intake because I was coming down with the flu, he never metioned anything about what the other ladies did... now Im confused..

It all has to do with how far along you are and how much you're already taking. 620mg is too much for 37 weeks. And "upping" your vitamin C can be as simple as drinking a glass of orange juice every day or eating more fresh fruit and veg. Best clarify with your doc exactly how much he thinks you should have.

I went to the store and got some Orange Juice. Thanks for the input..i think i will tough it out...no need to risk the health of my daughter!

you can take no more than 500mg a day,dose up on honey/lemon fresh ginger too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->