preparing for childbirth yet??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by ktsl123, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ktsl123

ktsl123 Well-Known Member

So in the past week I have been thinking about childbirth a lot and I am beginning to get very scared. I want to prepare myself as best as I can. Does anyone know of any good books or videos or anything that can help prepare you?

I heard of some techniques where you can help your body block out the pain I think I want to look into that.

2. star-dust

star-dust Guest

Look into hypno birthing, that apparently is very good, its somethign Im lookin into x

3. Boothh

Boothh Jesse, Teddy and 4 angels

i dont know any but im interested to know about this too, so will be checkin back on this post :)

the best advice iv been given is, you know its going to hurt, that baby has got to come out like it or not, but its a few hours and nothing compared to seeing your LO,

im just trying to keep focused on that and obviously ask for all the pain relief they will give me ;) good luck hon xxx

4. Vici

Vici Mum to a LTTC princess!!

All I was told is do NOT look on you tube :D

5. Hannah

Hannah Mummy of 2!!

I was petrified of childbirth and bought a book called 'Birth Skills' by a woman called Juju Sundin which although I am not 100% convinced about, will be giving parts of it a go. It goes through techniques of visualisation, vocalisation and movement and how this will help you block out the pain of labour. It sounds a little like what you are after.

6. avabear73

avabear73 Mum to Finlay

I know I shouldn't but just KNOWING that I shouldn't makes me want to ... :rofl:

7. star-dust

star-dust Guest

In my last labour, I slept through most of it, as I went in not fearing it, fear is the biggest cause of pain, go into it with an open mind and relax, a well preparded and in control birth
    patner is also a huge help,
    If you panic you lose control, and if you lose control, its hard to regain it!

I know its easier said then done, but it has to come out, you cant get to the point of labour and think sh*te nooooooo send it back!

sorry Im prob not much help!

8. PrettyBonk

PrettyBonk Alex,Abigail,&Grace's mom

I'm not scared of labor lol been there 2x
    With my 1 the pain was horrible right at the beginning and they gave me drugs lol with the second one I waited for hours before I got any drugs...my pains were HORRIBLE...my fiends say that they have never seen the machine (the one that reads contractions) go crazy lmao. I'm all for the drugs but I know I can take contractions...I don't know if I can take my VJJ rip though...therefore, I take the drugs lmao

9. HeidiLSparks

HeidiLSparks Mom of 2 & 1 on the way!

Oh my god, I watched BIRTH on youtube......and I almost died. I cried in fear...total fear saying "I CANT DO THIS!" haha. I've been doing yoga and walking a lot but still...scared

10. Miss_Mo

Miss_Mo Mom to 3 under 4

I signed up for hypno-birth classes that start in June and I am staying far away from birth videos on youtube b/c I know I well totally fear myself out.

11. buddabun

buddabun A mummy at last!

Yup, youtube is a no no for me. Our net connection is slow that a 10 minute video takes over an hour to download though so that's enough to put me off youtube in itself!

I am frightened about labour too but am going to do my best to read up as much as possible before hand on what happens etc so I won't be panicking each time my body does something new. I am phobic of hospitals, doctors, needles, even dentists, so going to hospital to be poked and prodded by doctors and stuck with needles is my ultimate nightmare (any dentists around just to make me lose it completely? :lol:). God help me if I need an epidural! But I figure by trying to find out as much as possible beforehand I will know that my body isn't out of control and 'that's supposed to be happening' if you know what I mean.

Good luck!

12. Elysian1c0

Elysian1c0 Well-Known Member

Youtube is not ALL evil. Search "easy birth" or "calm birth" or "hypnobirth"
    Inspirational stuff, some of it.

13. Mommyw/Baby2

Mommyw/Baby2 Well-Known Member

A lot of the preparation is done prior to giving birth.
    Exercise (walking a lot) and specific pregnancy stretches readies your body for the experience.

In the heat of the moment with my first child, I didn't remember any of the breathing techniques. My nurse was the one who told me how to.

I lot of what also helped me was going in saying to myself "I have a high threshold for pain, it's not going to hurt that bad." (Even if this was a complete LIE! haha)

Surprisingly it worked! I was done within three pushes!

So exercise and psych yourself up!

14. golcarlilly

golcarlilly Proud mum of 2

I bought a book on Saturday which is really good, it is an NCT publication and it's called Happy Birth Day, it has loads of good advice on everything through the whole of pg and I was just reading the section on birth last night - apparently the more relaxed you can be, the better as when you are scared the 'fight or flight' hormone - adrenaline is produced and this inhibits the good hormone Oxytocin which assists you in labour.
    What is the role of oxytocin during labor and birth?

Oxytocin is often known as the "hormone of love" because it is involved with lovemaking, fertility, contractions during labor and birth, and the release of milk in breastfeeding. It helps us feel good, and it triggers nurturing feelings and behaviors.

Receptor cells allowing a woman's body to respond to oxytocin increase gradually in pregnancy, and then sharply in labor. Oxytocin is a potent stimulator of contractions, which help to dilate the cervix, move the baby down and out of her body, give birth to her placenta, and limit bleeding at the site of the placenta. During labor and birth, the pressure of the baby against the cervix and then against tissues in the pelvic floor stimulates oxytocin and contractions. So does a suckling newborn.

Low levels of oxytocin during labor and birth can cause problems by:
    causing contractions to stop or slow, and lengthening labor
    resulting in excessive bleeding at the placenta site after birth
    leading providers to respond to these problems with interventions

I have decided I am going to book myself in for some antenatal classes and read and watch as much as possible about birth as I have decided it is better to be well prepared and thus hopefully forewarned is fore-armed and I might (hopefully) not be as scared!!

15. Eala

Eala Mum of two gorgeous girls

I'm hopefully going to be going to hypnobirthing classes, as what they teach sounds exactly what I want. The main thing (or so I've read) is not to panic. Having just studied the psychology of pain (argh, what a topic!) I know that the more stressed you are, the more you're focused on your pain, the worse it is.

Childbirth has become so medicalised, and the medical profession has made it seem scary. (They also do lots to help, this isn't plain doctor bashing!). But I do think that there's a lot of emphasis on the pain and inconvenience of it all.

I'm a bit nervous about it, but I'm actually looking forward to it! Chances are I'll only be doing it once, so I want to make it the best experience I can. It's the last step before seeing our baby, I'll have the love and support I need around me, and at the end of the day, the pain is forgotten once it's over.

I would agree with everyone else who has said stay away from YouTube, unless you're looking at hypnobirthing or calm birthing videos or something :)