Preparing for TTC after WTT

Emmadell

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here :)

My partner and I are undecided when to TTC, we are ready so looking at 0 - 6 months. ( nerves mostly )

I'm a preparation freak, so I'm prepping my body. Quit smoking a few months back, using natural products and supplements, eating healthy, back into the gym and finances are ok.

I'm interested to know how you are or will prepare when your time comes. Any and all suggestions will be very much appreciated.

:D

Congratulations on making steps toward TTC! It is an exciting journey. I hope you don't need this advice and that you get your BFP right away!

The parts I was least prepared for were the mental and emotional challenges. Looking back, I wish I had known how high the highs would be and how low the lows would be. Perhaps I could have better prepared myself mentally, knowing what I was up against. It is a month-long roller coast that I felt like I couldn't get off of until we had success, which made it even more tortuous at times.

The days leading up to O day are full of excitement and optimism. Tracking and charting is fun, new data each day adds to the overall picture on the chart and I felt pretty well in control of everything. If our BD timing was good, I was high as a kite! If we missed O day, or BDed too far ahead, or anything I didn't deem perfect, I was crushed.

After O day, time stops. The TWW is agonizing and you have to find ways to distract yourself. I found that symptom spotting was the worst thing I could do. I tried to lose track of how many DPO I was and find practical reasons for any symptoms that cropped up. Bloated = had two beers yesterday. Tired = didn't sleep well. Emotional = stress. Cramping = gas. Temp dip = fluke. Some people love symptom spotting and have fun doing it, so if that's you, go for it! It just was no bueno for me. I ended up having zero symptoms before my BFP and here I am at 5w3d without any symptoms of pregnancy other than very light AF-like cramping and exhaustion, which didn't kick in until after my missed period.

Back to the TWW. Make a plan for testing and make sure you are armed with three times more tests than you think you'll need. Get a big pack of ICs if you want to POAS a lot without guilt. And don't feel bad if you don't stick to your plan! There is nothing wrong with testing early, just make sure you have an arsenal of tests in case you get a BFP because you'll want to pee on all of them over the next few weeks! I liked to start at 10DPO, sometimes 9DPO just for kicks. Some people wait until AF is due, and that's great too! You'll likely get a nice clear line at that point. I enjoyed staring at the little strips for an hour, so that was my cup of tea.

If AF shows, be prepared to feel emotions you haven't experienced before! Communicate well ahead of time with your partner that you don't know what to expect and ask him to be your source of support, if you have that kind of relationship. It can be devastating and if you get a little emotional during AF anyway, those days can really be a challenge. Try to stay optimistic, but let yourself grieve for an unsuccessful cycle. Bottling up feelings does nobody any good!

Keep a list (on paper or in your mind) of things you can do to help cope. A nice glass of wine and bubble bath, a concert, pizza, going for hike, meditation, massage, etc. When you are stressed, it's very helpful to have "tools" at your disposal for treating yourself physically and emotionally. Make your mental and emotional self-care intentional.

Again, I hope you don't have to experience this, but if you do end up TTC for several months, just keep your "eye on the prize" and find other things to focus on throughout your days. It can be a long and grueling journey, but there is always light at the end. Lean on your partner if you can, and if he prefers not to be involved (like mine - he preferred a more organic NTNP approach), find a girlfriend to confide in and come here to ask questions and vent.

Best of luck and lots of baby dust to you!

Thanks Hickory.

I actually didn't think of the mental up and downs couples go through while waiting for a BFP. I guess at the beginning of TTC you don't always think it's going to be mentally challenging as the excitement takes a hold and you don't think of the frustration and tears.

I can see myself obsessing over ovulation days and I already am dreading the TWW so I'll take your advise and start stocking up on tests because I already know I have little to no self control to wait it out but I'll try my best :'D

Thanks again.

I remember with my first I was really on the ball with preparing my body to be ready. Now we're about to start trying with our 3rd and I'm having a hard time cutting out the junk food, coffee and just really all together being ready! But I figure it doesn't happen right away that just gives me more time to get healthier, and if it does happen, well I'll be feeling gross enough soon enough that I won't be drinking coffee anymore and eating junk food lol.
I think that not-overthinking it helps to be honest. Which I know is SUPER hard when it's your first and you're really anticipating and getting excited. I think it's good to take the right steps to be healthy, but just expect it could take time, and that's ok!
There are definitely emotional and mental changes that will happen when you have a baby, but I feel like you can't prepare for that, much more than making sure you have a good relationship with your spouse, and you're both ready to work together for this. I think if you have a supportive spouse, it helps a million times more than not!

Hi, I am here to follow the thread! I am hoping to TTC around christmas this year/very early 2019. I am already aware of all the emotions of the tww from previous cycles where i really hoped to be pregnant but weren't ttc yet. I know the emotions will be much worse though!

Thankyou ladies for your suggestions! We have only just decided this last week to ttc then, so i am currently very excited to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->