• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Preparing for twins...

AmandaAnn

Twin Mommy
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'm not really sure where else to go...

What do I need 2 of? What do I need only 1 of? For example...

Swings (was only planning on 1)
Highchairs (figured 2)
Boppy's (baby lounger things, was probably going to get 2)
Bouncy seats (was thinking 2)
Walkers/something similar (?)
Pack n Play (was looking at 1 with twin bassinets)
Play gyms (only registered for 1)
Baths (only registered for 1)

I'm sure I'm forgetting things...twin mommies, any advice you can give is much appreciated!

Thank you :)

Hi,
Hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy. I can't advice on everything but I got one swing and one bouncy chair. Thought I will order online later if needed more. Turns out one twin likes the swing and the other likes the bouncy chair more. But two bouncers will probably be a good idea in most cases.

I didn't get the boppy pillows. I have bumbo seats which I plan to use instead of the high chair initially as we will be moving soon.

Instead of a bath I have a bath support chair from summer.

I would suggest only get things for the first 3 months initially because you will know your babies needs better once they are here.
xxxx

Oh and if your planning on breastfeeding I would recommend a twin nursing pillow. Its a life saver.

Thank you! I've already registered for a twin nursing pillow :)

Hi AmandaAnn,
Just my experience;
- Definately only buy one bath. As hubbie is at work, I generally do all the bathing. Until they are older (ie in the big bath) I will only be bathing one at a time, therefore no point having two.
- I have two bouncers which have doubled as a safe place to strap them in when I need to leave the room. (even when they were small I didn't like leaving them on the playmat. They then became a place I could feed them, before they were old enough for a highchair.
- I was given 1x bumbo and bought another... I wish I hadn't, neither of them really like them, so no use to me. (many people find them fantastic, so if you definately want one my suggestion would to be to buy one, and if your babes like it, you can always buy another.)
- Highchairs, I have two - so much easier when you are feeding two at the same time. Also, not only used as an eating seat, but somewhere different for them to sit and to play.
- Bouncing chairs. We were given one, which is great, but children should only be in them for short periods of time. I would have thought that if you going to use them, only get one. Generally you would only hook one per doorway, so unless you have more than one doorway which you can see from were ever you are, then once again, I would only have the one.
- Walking rings, not going to get one, heard too much negative talk about them.
- Play mat's... I have got one large one at the moment with no "overhead" interactives, only colours,squeaks and textures on the individual blocks. When they were younger (under 6 months) they shared an interactive playmat with loads of toys hooked and hanging from the cross over bars.

A little suggestion, babes get bored easily and want to change what they are doing every 20 or so minutes, so if you buy one of these type of things you can always alternate. Also with shops and internet sites, if you really like something, you can really order these things and get them delivered quickly.

Good Luck

Both of my singletons loved to nap in their swings. I was planning on getting two for the twins.

Forgot to mention, I have two padded changing mats. One for their room and the other in our living room. We live on two storeys, so leaving one babe in the living room to go upstairs to change the other is a bit of a hassle.

We bought two baby bjorn carriers too, but have not yet used them and the babes are just over 6 months, in hindsight, I wish I hadn't bought these either.

Forgot to mention, I have two padded changing mats. One for their room and the other in our living room. We live on two storeys, so leaving one babe in the living room to go upstairs to change the other is a bit of a hassle.

We bought two baby bjorn carriers too, but have not yet used them and the babes are just over 6 months, in hindsight, I wish I hadn't bought these either.

We were told a baby sling is a must!!!! I have to admit I didn't see the point with twins as I am not going to be carrying 2 at the same time.

However a friend gave me hers and said she rarely used it out, but said it was dream if you had a grisly baby when at home who wanted to be held. She said it allowed her to have her baby close, and get on with some chores hands free.

I think they are therefore a great idea for around the house, if one twin is sleeping and the other wants a cuddle you can still get on with other things at the same time

I was lucky in that my sister already had 8 year old twins when I fell pregnant with mine so she could give me loads of advice. My best buy was definitly my chicco chairs, they don't bounce as well as cheap bouncer but I used them to feed my boys their milk (used to sit on the floor between them), they both napped in them during the day for many months (just padded them out with blankets), my youngest had bad reflux until he started solids so he slept in his at night as well because it kept him more upright. They are now 15months and still sit in them with the back raised to have their milk every day!
My second best buy when they were little was the Wimmer-Ferguson Infant Stim-Mobile, it looks rubbish compared to the 'nice' mobiles we're used to seeing but my sons were mesmorised by it - when they moved into their own cots I often wished I'd had two.
Other then that one of most play things is enough, for example one of my sons loved the door bouncers but the other didn't. I never used a baby carrier either (did have one though), there just never seemed to be a need with my two x

Baby seats for the car. First thing you'll need.

If you're formula feeding or pumping, I highly recommend you get a 2nd bottle warmer, because once you start with one baby the other one will start crying.

Also, go for 2 play gyms. They won't fit under one once they're older than 3 months, or if they do they'll hit each other.

We have a double-sized play pen, we got this second hand from a friend of a friend, so don't know how easy these things are to get, but it's come in very, very handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"