Preparing Myself!

LynAnne

Mum to 2 Boys
Reaction score
With DH sure to just decide that he's ready to TTC at the drop of a hat I'm trying to prepare myself for what's next, when I eventually do get pregnant. I've been reading up on what to expect during my first appointment etc. and whilst it's freaking me out a little, I'm dealing with it.

My main problem will be cutting down caffeine as I'm definitely a coffee addict drinking up to four cups a day! I'm going to start trying just to have my coffee in the morning and then no more all day. My problem is I love the taste and the warmth in the winter. Decaff is totally okay to drink while pregnant, right? :haha: I don't really drink alcohol unless it's a special occasion so I won't miss that and I don't smoke so we're all good there!

What vitamins/pregnancy supplements should I take when pregnant? I get so confused when I'm reading stuff online. :shrug: Is there one brand, one pack that gives you all you need?! I already take iron as it helps with AF and general tiredness.

Is there anything I should be doing now or will need to do in the early stages of pregnancy that I've forgotten about?!

Folic acid is the only recommended supplement - you need to take 400mg a day which is the standard size tablet you get from everywhere lol. Be careful not to take too much vit A as that's not good for bub. You can get pregnancy/pre-natal tablets from most pharmacies but I've never bothered with the specific ones. As long as you have a healthy diet you're normally ok.

Decaff is fine in pregnancy. 1 mug/2 cups a day is fine for the regular stuff anyway.....caffeine isn't an absolute no-no, it's just normally associated with other unhealthy things, and it's not good for you in large amounts anyway lol.

The things I struggled with was food.....I found the no soft/blue cheeses, no cured/uncooked deli meats, no pate and no dippy eggs hard! lol Even now I still have to remind myself that I can actually have them.....Christmas was awesome this year. Pate, stilton and brie! Yummers!

I still had my morning coffees during pregnancy, I just brewed it weaker. :)

I took my prenatal with DHA, and a B12 vitamin. I read about a study when I first got pregnant that women with higher B12 levels tended to have quieter babies (versus babies that cried for more than 3 hours a day), so I was curious to see if that would be true for me. DD rarely cried as a baby, so it seemed to work! I'm going to take it with the next pregnancy as well to see if it works again, or if that was just DD's personality. (plus B12 is good for you anyway)

https://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Vitamin-B12-in-pregnancy-could-lead-to-quieter-babies-Study

Talk to your medical provider about what you need to avoid during pregnancy. Mine didn't make me give up cold turkey sandwiches or anything like, but told me to be smart and buy from places with a good reputation.

Maybe start doing some light exercise if you aren't already? Exercise is good for you during pregnancy. :)

Less than 200mg of caffeine is ok during pregnancy! im a bit worried about that transition as well. trying to cut back and switch to tea!

A cup of coffee is fine! I'm definitely not cutting out coffee, I cannot survive without it lol! I drink 2-3 cups a day but I will cut down to one.

I'm trying to get myself down to one cup of coffee a day at the moment and so far I'm doing okay. I only started on Monday though :haha: I have a feeling that I'll have to tell my family pretty early once I am pregnant. We're all coffee addicts so it'll be super obvious if I'm turning down coffees! Or maybe I'll just switch to decaff when they are around!

So am I right in saying that Folic Acid is really the only supplement that you have to take? I know I can talk to a doctor about this but do you think it will be okay to continue with my iron tablets? They're just standard ones that you get from Asda.

I think I'll miss my runny eggs the most but I don't really know what else I'll need to cut out. A lot of the things that aren't good during pregnancy I don't eat anyway so I'm not too worried about that.

Haha! I think I'll have to get onto the decaf too, sometimes I want coffee just for the taste, not the caffeine :)
I'm going to miss runny eggs too :-(
I found this website useful - https://www.pregnancybirthbaby.org.au/foods-to-avoid-when-pregnant
I would think your iron tablets would be fine :)

What I found hardest at the beginning of pregnancy was the nausea and feeling sick, and having to work and take care of the other kid while being on diclectin.

I felt like crap despite being on diclectin (but when I lowered doses or skipped one, I felt much much worse - so it was a necessity) and this med is part sleeping pill, so I was so sleepy, and was trying to limit coffee. Once I was adjusted and ready to lower the dose in the 2nd or 3rd trimester, I had to go very gradually because sleepy was my new normal, so I was having trouble falling asleep without it.

The midwife will recommend Vitamin D now too :)

Addiotionally if anyone is a bit on the plump side like I am metion to your midwife about the Folic Acid. There is a higher dosage available which you cant get over the counter as the normal one we dont absorb enough x

Tea actually contains more caffeine than coffee but just tends to be brewed weaker so its probably not as good a replacement as you may think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->