Preparing Nursery..too soon?

FBBYQ

Pregnant - 2nd Trimester
Reaction score
Hi ladies! I'm a FTM and am so excited to get our little girl's nursery in order. We have the crib set up and the dresser is being delivered this week, but I am so anxious to get clothes washed and put into her dresser, get pictures hung and have her room completely ready to go. I am 20 weeks and am just wondering how soon you put together your little one's nursery. I love cleaning and having things organized so I just want it all done, right now! lol Is it too soon?

I wouldn't say it's too soon, I'd say go for it while you've still got the energy lol then u can relax once your bigger an know that everything is done and ready! I can't wait to do our lil ones room x

I'm not even 15 weeks yet and I'd be doing baby's nursery now if I could, lol! I say go for it, whatever makes you happy :)

Lol I agree, ive waited years for this and I'm desperate to do mine! Not sure what I'm doing yet but ive picked out furniture and will be picking the wallpaper and paint as soon as I can
I agree best to do it whilst be got the energy!

I dont think it's too soon. Last time I was all organised by 25 weeks. This time round our toddler is still in the nursery so still deciding what to do about getting ready for baby. I prefer to get everything organised while I still have energy!

We started ours months ago and just about finished with it!!! It's never too early lol. I even have clothing organized by month, only thing left to do is put the closet together and finish with decorations.

I think especially if you're going to paint, do it as soon as possible, but in purchasing things if you do it over time it's probably easier on you and the wallet. With painting walls, you don't want VOC's off-gassing when she's first born and sleeping in there 18 hours/day. So this is best to do well in advance (if painting is a priority).

We're not painting the walls, everything is neutral except for the bedding, blankets, pillows, all bright accessories that are easy to switch up.

We're also looking for really high end products gently used so we're not paying retail for much. This takes time, we've picked out the baby carrier, and put a bunch of things on pinterest but we have bedding, crib, a crib rail rider for diaper changes, blankets and leaving the clothing for last we we'll likely get lots after the baby comes when we hold the meet n greet with family & friends.

From my personal experience only:
Things that matter: Having the crib set up, rocking chair (if using) in place, diaper area ready to go, having the room generally clean.
Things that don't matter: Paint colors, decorations, any clothes past NB or 0-3 mo ready to go.

The longer back story: With our first, we needed to finish renovations in order to move our office out of the nursery and start building the nursery. I thought it was a top priority, DH thought that everything would be OK no matter what. DD ended up coming a week early, and the day my water broke, I had literally just finished painting the nursery that morning and DH had just hung the blackout blinds. The crib was put together, but that was it.
We both agree that we were both in the wrong. The room needed to be more prepped than DH thought. (he left the hospital to sleep at home, and spent time dragging the chair in, arranging furniture, etc.) But the aesthetics really didn't matter once we got our baby home. (I made curtains when she was 1 month old, we still never reuphosltered the chair and just toss a flat sheet over it)

I say go for it, it will be easier to do it now than when you're heavily pregnant, and it is nice to be able to go into LO's room and get all excited :).

Ive painted and have the crib set up.. The rest of decor im slowly working on. Id have it done but both of my baby showers are in august and we will get a ton of stuff then so theres no point to me spending money on it myself now!

We didn't get ours set up until sometime mid 3rd tri. In fact, I had gotten on DH's case about getting the crib put together and DD didn't even sleep in her room or crib until she was 6 months old... :blush:

It's really a personal decision on when you want to do it! The perk is that it'll be done and you won't have to worry about it later on. Or you have time to make any changes or additions.

It's fun!

Mines almost done! Painting and all! one piece of advice: DON'T TAKE TAGS OFF OF ANYTHING YET. a very good friend of mine was told she was having a girl. 4 scans that all said girl and she had a BOY. It happens...

If it makes you happy do it. I didn't even start ds's nursery until he was 4 months old. He stayed in our room until around 7 months. I don't intend to do anything different this time.

We went out and bought the paint for the nursery the day we found out what we were having with my first. I also went online and ordered her bedding set. We already had the crib. My sister gave us most the baby clothes. Her baby is 6 months older than mine so it worked out pretty good. She would give me a bag of hand-me downs and I would wash them and put them away. I probably had all the newborn and 0-3 month clothes washed and put away by 26 weeks! This time around I wont be prepared nearly as early, but we're having another girl so I dont have much to do. Bought the bedding set yesterday actually (I'm 21 weeks). I like being prepared and it feels good to "nest" :) I work full-time so only have time to work on it on the weekends, so I like to start early.

I'm desperate to start but can't as FIL is in denial about having a granddaughter lol and a toddler still in the room but hopefully soon he'll go into his own room :). With DS I didn't get to have a nursery till he was about 1 due to other factors now ...... I'm gonna enjoy sorting both kids rooms out :).

We are getting house ready but haven't started on nursery. We are getting new flooring and paint in kitchen, renewing the interior of the fitted wardrobe in our room, painting our room, glossing doors and getting new door handles and light switches throughout, then we will start on babies room. We can't start until the other stuff is done esp the wardrobes as we need better storage, babies room is 26ft long and 15ft wide (ridiculously large tbh!) so it is used for various things now, which need to be sold before we start! Stress!

I should add we have got lots of other things sorted, such as her pram and car seat, lots of clothes etc.

I think good for you!
I'm nearly 17 weeks and lo's room is still a junk room from when we moved in. Needs wallpaper stripping, painting, carpet washing, curtains, blinds, all the boxes that are piled high (we bought this house a year ago, we just close the door and pretend it isn't there lol) removing, need a bed for my son so he can ditch the cot, all my baby clothes up until 2 years and in my mum's loft! Eak!

Do it while you have the energy. We just moved, everything is in chaos so needless to say not much if anything is done yet. And depending on the sex the baby could be sharing a room with my daughter anyway.x

Mine is pretty well set minus minor things like extra storage bins and such. I rearranged from original plan so a few wall stick ons I'll move but that's about it. I also want to paint their closet as its gross looking. Lucky when we bought the house a few years ago we put in new carpet for the bedrooms & painted the ceiling/trim/doors and the walls it's the perfect color for boys.

Honestly I don't think I could do any of it now being on moded bed rest, aches and no energy, do it while you can! I am glad I did it late first/early second tri. It was a junk room and had a queen bed as it was a second guest room also.

I also I haven't taken tags off clothes. I am guilty of setting up the swing and bouncer but wont throw boxes/receipts away yet as I am afraid I'll jinx it.

Now we are (ok really hubby is) fixing up the restroom and other parts of the house to have it set.

For all those painting rooms late in the game, please keep your wee ones out of the bedroom for at least a few months cracking windows to let the walls/paint off gas. The last thing a newborn should have to suffer is sleeping 18+ hours in a newly painted room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->