• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Preterm Labour: Signs and Symptoms

I have been having the menstrual cramping and increased discharge.

But I phone my midwife and she said its normal :S

i woke up with quite intense period like pains and a lot of pressure from her head, since iv got up and walked around iv had a gush of white fluid which ran down my legs... im only 30 weeks so just gonna wait and see if anything else happens in the next few hours!

My experience of premature labour was surreal! I already had an induction with dd1 and the second time round at 17 weeks pregnant I had a lot of increased discharge (sometimes it felt like a gush of fluid) but just put it down to being normal pregnancy discharge. From about 22 weeks onwards I was feeling increasingly sore and a feeling of pressure down there (looking back now it felt like I did at 41 weeks with dd no 1 and they were dilation pains). On the 13th September I went into work as normal, feeling sore and a heavy pressure down below (just thought I was tired from running around after dd1).The night before I had actually done a google search and thought it was varicose veins in the vagina as a result of pregnancy and this was what was causing the aching and feeling of pressure. How wrong can you be?! When I got into work I went to the toilet after about half an hour and noticed staining. It wasn't proper bleeding or anything like that, just staining with this constant heavy achiness. So I came out spoke to my manager and went straigh to the hospital (lucky by this time I had actually started to carry my notes around with me due to husband's constant nagging!) when I got there I had a 2 hour wait whilst everyone else went in before me(and also got out within an hour tops!) probably because I was convinced that it was either that varicose vein thing you can get or else cervical erosion which I had before with dd1. When I did go in and they examined me I was 3 cm dilated with bulging membranes and in preterm labour. I had been having what I thought was braxton hicks from 18 weeks, increasing in frequency as the pregnancy progressed but not painful just annoying! They gave me steroid injections and actually rescanned me on the Friday before my daughter was born and gave me the all clear to go home on the Monday as the cervix had reclosed but on the Saturday whilst at the toilet and feeling increasingly constipated the membranes came back down again and I was 6cms dilated. My daugher was born the following day. My membranes kept going back up and coming back down again and they think it was a result of cervical weakness from first pregnancy coupled with a possible infection. I hope this story can help alert others sooner than it took me to realise what was happening. If I had realised back at 17 weeks they told me they could have put a stitch in...20:20 hindsight eh?! XO

wow jen, that was a good read so thats for sharing!

i ended up having to get checked at delivery suite at 11pm, the tightenings were every 2-3 minutes from 4pm onwards and quite painful. they put me on the ctg monitor and i was having contractions reaching 60 in strength, thankfully they stopped and the dr examined me and i wasn't dilating or anything. i now have to have my care consultant led till she's here which is a bit of a pain as the appointments are a 60 mile trip away, but im sure she will be worth it when she comes!

She will be totally worth it winterbaby! I hope she stays put as well for another 7 weeks at least! xo

I know this post is sort of old but I have been having some signs of preterm labor (unsure but sounds like it)
Increase in vaginal discharge with a tinge of yellow and and tiny bit of blood once
pen size drops of blood when wiping
belly tightening (not so much painful as it is uncomfortable)
dull lower back pains on and off
lower abdominal cramps
on and off pressure in cervix
sharp shooting pains inside vagina
and diarrhea
should I go to the hospital or am I over reacting?

Go to the hospital! Sounds like your cervix is thinning and dilating. All my children were preemie and your symptoms are exactly the same as mine. With the twins, it started at 25 weeks. I was put on hospital bed rest and kept them in for another 2 months. With Reese, it happened too quickly to stop it and she was born at 23 weeks. I strongly recommend an internal ultrasound scan to check the length of your cervix and complete bed rest until you know if your cervix is thinned. Good luck and keep us posted.

Both of my regular and preterm labor began with a dull stomach ache the night before labor. Then it got worse, along with vomiting and the opposite! Watch for that.

I know it's an old post but did any second time mums water brakes ok I had a premie before he was 36 weeks but now 30 weeks feeling very weird contractions last cupple of days have been the worst hospital will not accept me unless my waters have gone which I don't think they have I thought I might have lost my plug but increased discharged its not an infection as I have had it checked but at 30 weeks I'm not sure what the contractions should fill like as my waters never broke with my son they had to break it after day 5 of labour any help would be great full xx

Hi, just wondered if anyone could help?..... OH and I dtd last night and about half an hr I started getting painful regular contractions, app 2 mins apart and lasting 20secs. They were pretty painful when I was lying down, plus they made me want to wee & poo. They then eased to being uncomfortable when I got up but became painful again when I lay down. They eventually stopped about 2 hrs later and I managed to sleep.

Today I've had more BH than usual but they have not been painful, just uncomfortable.

What do you think?

I am 32 weeks and my son was born at 36 weeks for reason unknown x

Hi, just wondered if anyone could help?..... OH and I dtd last night and about half an hr I started getting painful regular contractions, app 2 mins apart and lasting 20secs. They were pretty painful when I was lying down, plus they made me want to wee & poo. They then eased to being uncomfortable when I got up but became painful again when I lay down. They eventually stopped about 2 hrs later and I managed to sleep.

Today I've had more BH than usual but they have not been painful, just uncomfortable.

What do you think?

I am 32 weeks and my son was born at 36 weeks for reason unknown x

How many more BH are you having, and are they regular?

Ive been having them all day, pretty regular. Ive tried drinking lots and changing positions or being active but theyre always there. Theyve started to become crampy again this evening but nothing like last night. More on one side now x

Ive been having them all day, pretty regular. Ive tried drinking lots and changing positions or being active but theyre always there. Theyve started to become crampy again this evening but nothing like last night. More on one side now x

I think you should go and get checked out as soon as possible, or at the very least call your Doctor.

I found I had very little in the way of symptoms until all hell broke loose but luckily I didn't realize it was a bad symptom until afterwards

I woke up sharply and went to wee, where I thought I noticed a bit a pink and couldnt return to sleep due to back ache (thought this was from sleeping on the sofa though)

then an hour later hell broke loose

out of nowhere the was a loud bang and it felt like an explosion went of inside of me (it was so loud OH shot awake thinking I had fallen) I sat bolt upright at the bang but it didnt hurt, I looked down and thick yellow jelly was gushing from my lady parts...

It was another 2 hours or so before I started getting contractions or anything and I was pretty calm (mostly because everyone else was so I assumed it was pretty normal, I remember asking why the call it 'waters' if its yellow and thick... pretty amazed my mam wasn't making a bigger fuss as shes a drama queen lol)

after that everything I think was just like normal labor up until the birth

I was told in my case there is no increased risk of it happening again as it was due to a tangled cord (wrapped around the neck)

I've just woken up with a puffy face (not normal for me) awful back pain feeling pretty under the weather feeling nauseous and achey bump , seeing how today goes but but what do you guys think in panic mode today feel awful x

Mum_Of_Roodys I would suggest seeing a midwife today hun

Thankyou trying to ride it out and hope nothing bad happens as I've already been in last week and don't want to seem like a total hypercondreact , but I will be seen if anything gets any worse , don't know how much longer I can take though not knowing what's going on and being in pain feeling sick is just too much especially with two toddlers driving me nuts all day trying to jump over me :(

Thankyou trying to ride it out and hope nothing bad happens as I've already been in last week and don't want to seem like a total hypercondreact , but I will be seen if anything gets any worse , don't know how much longer I can take though not knowing what's going on and being in pain feeling sick is just too much especially with two toddlers driving me nuts all day trying to jump over me :(

Don't ever feel like you are being a hypercondriac. :hugs: It is important to be seen, every day in the womb is important. Don't worry about what others might think of you - if it helps your baby stay put for just a little bit longer that's all that matters.

Just feel stupid when I go up there and then nothing's happening but sucky feeling has worn off just achey now few sharp pains but nothing major gunna see if I can sleep it off now kids are in bed and see how I am when I wake up xx

I agree with atomicpink. Everyday is so important. I ignored "cramps" at 19w6d until I had a bleed and realized they were contractions a few hours later. I was in ptl. Fast forward to 25w3d (all the time in between on meds and bedrest) I had some minor cramps again and decided to go in again. They were less painful contractions than the first time but at 25w5d my baby was born. It may not be the case for everyone but I bought my baby girl an extra almost 6 weeks by trusting my instincts. My Dr reassured me every visit that's what they're there for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"