Prewashing my stash?

duffers

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,
I understand that I have to wash my nappies a few times to get the absorbancy up. How many times and at what temp is best? Detergent or none?
Also, can I treat all of my nappies the same (prefolds, AIOs and pockets)?

Thanks for your advice.

Pippa

I was advised to wash 3 times but that detergent wasn't necessary.

If I was you I would consider washing a few of each type but not all so that if you really don't like a particular type you can sell them on as completely brand new.

Does anybody know what part of the washing it is that increases the absorbancy of nappies? I've got one nappy that's only had one wash so far (it arrived the other day, after I'd already washed all the others three times). I want to wash it three times to boost the absorbancy but I don't want to wash it on its own! I suppose I could give some of my inserts and anything bamboo an extra two washes with it but that seems wasteful. So I was wondering if I can handwash it on its own instead of using the machine? I know people have said that you don't really need to dry them between pre-washes, so what bit of washing is it that makes it more absorbant? It is being immersed in water? Or being spun around a lot? Any ideas? I'm hoping that I can do two quick handwashes and just make sure to swoosh it around a lot each time!

No one ever told me you had to do this??? I pre-washed mine once and have used them all since and I never had a prob with the absorbancy.

It depends on the diaper (material, type). Prefolds...bleached or unbleached....bleached only needs a few washes, unbleached needs more. It's to get all the oils and such out. You will see that they quilt up too and they become more absorbent. Things with microfiber you don't need to do that. Like BG organic aio..you do...but the pockets or other aio you wouldn't need to. Prefolds you can also boil instead of having to put through a bunch of washes...much quicker

ohhh thanks MO3... I like my pockets the best anyways. What about the soakers you put in the pockets?

To be honest, I had wondered what it was that built the absorbancy too and I've been using mine for a little while now. I have been having lots of problems with leaks so would be interested to know 'what exactly' increases the absorbancy :shrug:

Mo3 - do you find yours better after a good few uses? Organic/natural fabrics or man made?

x

i'd say the wet part is what has most effect as the pre washing is to get rid of oils etc so i dont see why a handwash rinsing it out a few times would probs do the job for ya:thumbup::hugs:

sara

xxxxxxxxx

It actually needs to be hot water, which is why boiling works so well, it gets all the natural oils out. Just putting it through cold water probably won't be as effective. But you can put them all in a pot with just a touch of Dawn and boil them for like 10min, dry them, then do another hot wash with detergent and dry...that should be good enough to get it started and the more you use them and wash them they will become even more absorbent.

The inserts for pockets it only depends on the material....microfiber ones you don't need to. If it's a hemp insert you should...or just cotton.

But if you are having problems with leaks you should try washing them on hot a few times...I wouldn't boil anything but prefolds...def nothing with PUL. And dry in between the washes. It might even be good to do the boil, dry, boil, dry, then wash hot and dry. That's what I did with my unbleached prefolds...but my bleached I did the boil step only once.

i'm pretty sure it's to do with the natural oils in the fabric, which is one of the reasons why you shouldn't use fabric softener to wash nappies in, although it makes them soft it puts oils back onto the fabric reducing the absorbency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->