Private first trimester scan? Thoughts?

xCookieDoughx

Mummy of 4
Reaction score
Some of you may have read my posts about being nervous about everything! I just can't seem to relax! I don't feel pregnant at all! I'm only 5 + 3 so presuming sickness will start at 6 weeks like with my son but that seems like so far away!!! Even though it's only a few days!

But there is a place near me that does private scans, and they do a first tri reassurance scan for £99. I'm seriously considering going for one about 7 weeks just so I can see a heartbeat and see if the baby is growing okay. (We only dtd twice in the whole month so I'm confident of my dates).

Do you think I should go for one? Or aren't they worth it? I just think that it may make it easier for me. I'm not sleeping, I can't concentrate, and I have more cm which is making run to the loo all the time panicking in bleeding :(

I know some of you may think I'm being really silly! I had a scan at 9 weeks with my son as I didn't know my dates due to a previous mc the month before, but now I know them I won't be offered one until 12 weeks xxx

i was worried sick about my pregnancy as i read too much on the internet about the negative possibilities and i started feeling symptoms of ectopic just because i was reading about it. i did go to the OBGYN and they told me they had no reason to believe iwas not going to have a healthy pregnancy. they didnt even test me or give me a scan. at my routine prenatal which was 8wks 6 days, i asked for a ultrasound just to see baby's heartbeat. baby was snug and wiggly with a heartbeat of 174! although, my official ultrasound was not supposed to be given to me until i was 20 weeks (for healthy pregnancies you get scans less often). sooo i couldnt wait that long and booked a private gender scan at 14 weeks. best experience ever and its only $50 for me. i get two sessions and we get to hear and see baby's heartbeat as well as baby in 4D and 2D, and we get lots of photos to keep each session. it's definitely worth it in my opinion if you wait until the baby is bigger to pay out of pocket for a private scan. otherwise, just hold on tight and try and get one the doctor's can bill insurance for if you just want to check on the health. the private scans are something id recommend once baby is bigger because you can see and experience more for your money.

I understand how you are feeling, because I was feeling very similarly in the beginning of my pregnancy. If you have the money to spare, then I say go for it. My first scan brought me a lot of peace of mind. Having said that I wouldn't expect to see a ton, but at least it will be some confirmation of your pregnancy and may allow you to relax.

Thank you, I know I won't see anything really but I really just want to see a heartbeat and know that all the dates are okay :) I've got a docs app tomorrow and I'm going to ask to be referred for one as I'm not sleeping well and worrying etc but if they say no (which is most likely) then I think I'm going to go for it! X

They are worth the money to give you peace of mind but I would suggest maybe waiting til your 8 or 9 weeks as you will see so much more on the scan thus getting more for your money iyswim. Or is there any other scanning centres near you that charge less? I have one local to me that charge £50 for a sneaky peek scan. If there's something similar near you ou could then get 2 scans for the same price X

I say go for it. I know the UK is different from the US and you guys aren't given scans as early as we are. If your Dr says no I'd book it if I were you just for peace of mind, but like pp said check around if there's any other places cheaper.

Yes, I think it's a great idea. Especially when you have high anxiety. There is no way I could get through first trimester without getting a scan. Good luck!

I would be doing it if I wasn't having regular early scans and I still may do.

I'm going to get a private scan at 7 weeks because it'll be right before I go to the US for a week for Christmas and want to make sure all is ok before I travel and so I can tell my family. I've seen a private FS already because of my PCOS and needing Clomid, so I'm going to go there, and at mine it's £150! I figure if I don't have the advantage of youth on my side, I might as well take advantage of us being older with good jobs and use our money! My FS recommended it to check for twins because of the higher risk with Clomid, but I only had one dominant follicle when I had my pre-ovulation scan.

I'm lucky - I'm entitled one on the nhs due to recurrent MMC's but if I wasn't we would be paying for one around 7/8 weeks like we did with my daughter! I'll also probably pay for one around 10 weeks and then have my dating scan at 12/13 weeks with my daughter I had scans at 7, 8, 10 and 13 weeks

:flow:

I did a private scan a week before my doctor, I just could not wait. My anxiety was through the roof. Best $75 I have spent, and it came out of my health savings account, anyway. :D

I had one about 7 weeks with my son and definitely worth the money. Though I was still a mess by 12 weeks! This time I'm planning to pay for one around 9 weeks to we feel confident telling our families at Christmas.

I feel like I'm a broken record on these threads.. so sorry!

However, I would just make sure you are going to a very reputable place with highly trained and qualified people running the machines. The only thing I've seen with these private places is they are not monitored or controlled and the people running the machines aren't qualified. Therefore, a lot of times the machines are set way too high.

BTW, I agree with waiting as long as possible. At 7 weeks, you will just see a little sack and dot inside. You would most likely see a little flicker of a heartbeat. However, I would agree with waiting to 8-9 weeks if you can.

I went for a private scan yesterday, I had no real reason to believe anything was wrong but after suffering a mmc a couple of years ago my anxiety levels are always through the roof during first tri.
It was the best £75 I've spent, we heard the heartbeat, saw our little peanut wriggling around and they measured ahead at 9w4d!
I feel so much calmer now and confident going forward. I would honestly recommend it, my partner really enjoyed it too!
Good luck and h&h 9 months xx

I'm booking one in for when I'm 9 weeks, were planning on telling family over Christmas so having the scan before hand will just give me that extra reassurance :)

Mine is only £75 though, it's worth shopping around!

Best thing we'd spent money on in a long time. Seeing that little bean and the beating heart was priceless, and even though we could have got a much better scan experience if we could have waited another couple of weeks (I was 7+5 measuring 7+1) I'm glad we didn't wait...We needed the reassurance then, I was instantly calmed and felt more connected to the baby at a time when I desperately needed to be (prenatal depression and really bad MS)

Thank you all ladies :) there is only 1 place local to me that does private scans and it is fantastic! I was thinking of booking for 22nd dec so that I will be 8 + 4 and hopefully see something more but also just to see the heartbeat flickering away. That's all I need! I hate this waiting and not knowing thing!!!
I'm getting waves of nausea but nothing that bad, usually first thing in the morning when I haven't eaten and I'm hungry or after I've eaten a bit much :s I think I will ring up and get that booked then :D plus, I'm working pretty solid until then anyways!!

I got one, and I gotta say it was the best hundred bucks I've spent. I have super high anxiety and I stopped taking my pills a while back so the anxiety is through the roof with this baby. Getting the scan gave us HUGE peace of mind and allowed me to tell my parents about the baby without fear that I was getting their hopes up without any real confirmation. I was able to get a DVD of the ultrasound, too, which my husband loved since he couldn't be there. I debated on going because of the money at first, but I'm so glad I did. I'd spend a lot more just to have that feeling of zero anxiety (at least for a little while!) :)

We went for one with our second daughter and will be getting one again this time! Money well spent IMO, think we're going to go when I'm about 8 weeks xxx

So I've booked one! For the 20th dec and I'll be 8 + 2 :) so hopefully I can see something and definitely a heartbeat! I paid the deposit now and the rest when I go :) I'm so excited! It's 20 days away, I just need to try and keep calm for 20 more days! Hopefully some symptoms will start in the next few days which will be good :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->