Private rented houses and sky.

karlilay

Mum of 2 :)
Reaction score
Hi all. My sister has just moved into a privatley rented house (6 weeks ago) and wants to know how to go about getting sky tv and broadband. Is this allowed? Does she have to have a 12 month tennancy and how does she get permission from the landlord? Thankyou :flower:

i just went ahead and got it.. aslonng as it doesnt involve any digging up etc.. like cable/virgn may.. its only attaching a dish to the house.. i mean she could always ask the landlords permission first if tht helps.. ring him direct or ur estate agent.. the worst they can say is no.. GL xxx

I have a rented house. I don't have sky, but to be honest if I wanted to get it then it wouldnt have even crossed my mind to ask the landlord if I could. xxx

Most people dont ask but im pretty sure legally you have to get the landlords permission as you are altering the exterior of their property and they have the right to refuse. Others have been billed for the landlord getting someone to removed the dish and fill in the horrible holes left before. Others dont care though

When I went to get sky in a rented place they refused to do it without a letter of permision from the landlord

We got sky and we didn't ask the landlord didn't even think to tbh and if she moves before the 12 month sky contract Is up just phone sky and it moves with you

If I wanted Sky, I'd need to ask the landlord, Its in my contract.. something about altering the outside of the building.

Saying that.. next door got sky a whole ago (same landlord) and he didn't seem bothered when he popped round even though he said he didn't know that a dish had been put up.

I PR and have Sky.

LL never batted an eyelid when it went it.

Call him and ask thou.

V xxx

My landlord is a stick in the mud, he's refused both Sky and for me to have a dog. :( It's like being back at home. I'm glad I asked permission, especially since he'd have been very annoyed if I'd gone behind his back.

I think it's common courtesy to ask, you're renting THEIR house after all.

We didn't ask our landlord and just got it put in.

Although, when we asked if we could change the garden (it's a mess and needs sorting badly) his response was "It's your house now, you can do whatever you want with it."

Didn't see the point in bothering him with this.

All she would need to do is contact the landlord and ask him if she is concerned. Although, most people have Sky/Virgin anyway so it probably wont be a problem.

I'd get written permission so there is no comeback :)

Im council and I have Sky but my sister is PR and has Sky, she didnt ask her landlord she just got it..
Unless your sisters LL has said then her contract will more than likely be 12 months.

I would say ask the landlord. As when my parents got sky, not old did they have to put the dish up, they had to drill a hole through to put the cable through. If I owned a house and tennants wanted to get anything done that involved holes in the house I would want to know.

We are council and we have to ask permission - in fact I think here even to put it on your owned property you have to have persmission - there are some streets/buildings where it is banned! We have Sky, however, we have a communal dish as they were pissed off about the amount of them being put up. There are 24 flats in my row and 16 sky dishes....................it looks rank to be honest.

WE live in a rented apartment and have Sky Broadband because that didn't involve any drilling or invasive installation. But we asked the Landlord about a satellite dish and he said we're not allowed to drill any holes OR have a dish outside the window as per our original agreement - fair enough. So we didn't get Sky TV. But I have noticed some of my neighbours haven't drilled their dishes onto anything - they've just put them inside their windows :haha:

I never asked my Landlord, and when he seen it he didn't bother :shrug: xx

We already had a dish when we have moved into new properties so havnt ever asked, I prob wouldnt though

I private rent, I've got sky and broadband.. I didn't ask my landlord.. Can't see why you should? :/

When we got sky we didn't ask the landlord but I would ask if I were you as it involves drilling holes in the wall for the cabling and you might lose your deposit as a result of this if you don't ask first.

we asked our letting agent if it were okay and they checked with the landlord. :flower:

it was btw!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->