• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Private room on maternity ward

xamyrx

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This might sound like an odd question but I was wondering if any one had any experience in previous births etc of paying for a private room when in labour so your partner can stay throughout? I just hate the idea of doing it alone if it is out of visiting hours before I get sent to the delivery suite and I hate the idea of after the birth my partner having to leave until later in the day and I get put in a bay of 5 other people and start panicking :cry:

I hope I don't sound too soft asking this!! My birthing hospital will be the sharoe green unit at royal preston

Thank you in advance

Amy :flower:

Hi
The hospital I had my 2 year old in was brand new so we all had private rooms on the post natal ward, however I had to stay in 2 extra nights because of high blood pressure and my OH had to leave around 10pm. They took her for a few hours the 1st night but the 2nd was pretty daunting :/ I remember praying for it to be 8am when he would return. I'm sorry I can't help with any info on paying for private rooms? X

I had a csection and was in for 2 nights. Partners could visit between 11am and 9pm

Xx

I had a natural birth with Freya and I thought Id be so scared being on my own, but dya no what it wasnt that bad! Im a very anxious person and was crying because I was that scared but honestly, you will love the peace x

I guess things must be different in the US....

The hospital I'm delivering in has only private rooms with a pull out couch/bed for the father to stay the night and a full bathroom so he can shower for the remainder of the stay.

We DO have hospitals that don't offer that type of treatment... but I don't think they ever MAKE the father leave...

Same here...with my son, my hubby was with me the whole time and had a full sized pull out bed. They never have to leave.

I dont know of any hospitals which allow your partner to stay over, its just extended visiting times! x

I hated it when dh had to leave. I rang him at 5am crying that he had to come asap.

I hated it when dh had to leave. I rang him at 5am crying that he had to come asap.

It's like a super emotional time... Why wouldn't you want the baby's father there? It's very important to me.

In assuming you are in UK OP?
Down here there are private rooms on the labour ward, you have to pay, I think it's about £70+ If you are in labour your hubby won't have to go even if its out of hours until you have your baby and are back on postnatal ward. If you have private room he can stay but if you are on the ward then yes they need to leave, about 9ish I think. It's so that the other ladies (and you) can get some rest. Then they should be able to come back in the morning about 9. Yes not nice that they have to leave but at the same time it's only 1 night (if you have to stay in at all) and you may be glad of the peace for a few hours to get some rest!

Private rooms around here are around £100, but you may just get in one if its free anyway (I asked and got it). But hubby still doesn't get to stay. :( It's one of the many reasons I've planned to home birth. My bed, my home, my rules.

We keep hearing that hospitals are cramped and over crowded, but I do agree its unreasonable to send your partner home. When we finally move we will live ten miles away from the hospital and it will be hard to go home for him due to lack of public transport.

I'm in Canada and I definately paid for a private room. It was great, where I'm from private or not when in labor they don't kick out the dads. Your partner can stay as long as he wants. My dh was with me for 48 hrs before dd was actually born during induction.

We keep hearing that hospitals are cramped and over crowded, but I do agree its unreasonable to send your partner home.

I agree to an extent, if I do have to stay in I would like my OH to stay with me which is why I'd like a private room but on the other hand I can understand why they can't stay if you are on the ward as having 6 women and 6 hubby's on a small ward plus 6 crying babies is a lot, don't think anyone would be getting much sleep, plus there just isn't physically the room for everyone. In terms of privacy, I wouldn't want someone else husband there when I'm feeling so vulnerable/trying to breastfeed/having a good cry, and I'm sure other ladies would feel the same about my husband. I'm just hoping that I will be able to go home the same day and I won't have to think about it, or at least get a private room.

here they can visit from 12pm to 7pm and cannot stay overnight even in private room

It seems so different in each place! On the wards here they can visit from 9 till 9. Try don't kick them out if you are actually in labour tho, just on the postnatal wards

I'm in the US, and it's hard for me to imagine being without my husband or in a public room. I would DEFINITELY do everything I could to pay for a private one. But then again, that's what we're used to here, so our expectation is to have a private family room. Maybe I'd feel differently if I were brought up there with different norms.

I'm in the US, and it's hard for me to imagine being without my husband or in a public room. I would DEFINITELY do everything I could to pay for a private one. But then again, that's what we're used to here, so our expectation is to have a private family room. Maybe I'd feel differently if I were brought up there with different norms.

Yep. I don't know anyone that hasn't had a private room AND been allowed to have their partner stay. There are almost always chairs or couches in the recovery room. I don't think I would give birth in a hospital if I had to share a room or couldn't have my husband there 24/7.

I guess it's a trade off though, as we are definitely paying for it with private insurance.

Just to clarify to you US girls, we only go into a ward after labour and when everything is done and dusted, stitched and cleaned up etc and all personal stuff done. Basically designed while you are recovering/waiting to go home, they will send you home same day if you and baby are doing well. I'm sure you worked that out for yourselves but didn't know if you all had visions of 6 of us all on a ward together in labour!! :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"