Private scan - sonographer gave me her unwanted opinion on gender!!!!

Freya

Toddler and baby
Reaction score
Grrrrrrrrr.

This is, fingers crossed all goes well, my last pregnancy. I found out the sex of dd at 20 weeks, which was my decision back then. THIS time I want a suprise as I've got my longed for daughter so either sex will be a wonderful blessing.

So we go for private scan today as my Nhs one last week was unable to get nt measurements due to baby's position. All was fine I'm pleased to report...... however the sonographer took it upon herself to look between baby's legs and report what she thought I was having. Luckily oh didn't hear as he was entertaining our dd.

What was she thinking??? She then back tracked and said it was too early to tell really. Which I know could be true BUT she had 20 years experience and was retirement age so I bet she's unlikely to be wrong!

Poop!

oh no :( that is so frustrating, i'm so sorry she's done this hon, it's your choice to wait. she certainly could be wrong, but saying that, now i bet you can't get the gender out of your head!
we were lucky that no body told us when we wanted to keep dd's gender a surprise, but caved and found out at 28 weeks any way :dohh:
xxx

She really could be soooo wrong hun, at that point both genitals are swollen so theres a chance.

Id still complain though!

That is very upsetting, i would have complained to be honest..

Oh no, massive :hugs::hugs: the thing is she would be going on the nub theory at this stage and it isnt very reliable, so I would take it as just a guess and ignore her sweetie.

That is awful. I think I would be inclined to complain too. We are having a lot of trouble deciding whether to find out the sex of the baby or not at the 20 week scan and to have that decision taken away from us would make me so mad. How incredibly unprofessional, poor you x

Thanks ladies, I knew you would understand. Looking on the internet (shoot me now). I'm grateful all is well so far, so I probably wont complain on that basis but I know in theory I should, if only to remind the sonographer of accidental slip ups for parents to be.

Maybethisisit, that's exactly how I feel, the choice taken away. Like Princess Bump's experience I may well have caved at some point along the way, but at least it would have been 100% me being sure I wanted to know.

(huge congratulations Princess Bump, happy and healthy 9 months to you, and an easy first 12 weeks!!!)

xxxxxx

freya, can i ask what she said?? dont mean to be inappropriate, just curious!

freya, can i ask what she said?? dont mean to be inappropriate, just curious!

Lol, just realised I've not said have I? The baby kept flipping into the wrong position again so I joked about being uncooperative must be a little boy, just light banter. She then took the scanner to baby's bottom and looked between legs and said she couldn't see any boy bits! So potentially I'm having another little girl - which is super, super either was really xxxx

thank you Freya :D i no your happy what ever you have, but i'd think about making a complaint, especially as it's upset you a little. i totally agree, it's your choice to choose if and when you wanted to find out :hugs: hope your ok today :D xx

ahhhhh just because she couldnt see them, doesnt mean they arnt there!!

At this stage, I don't think that means anything at all. The best they can hope for right now is a slightly educated guess. So I'd try to not be too upset, it'll still be a surprise whether or not she's right. :hugs:

Aww that's horrible she did that if you didn't want to know. At least when you were joking about must be a boy she could of said... Would you like to to have a look??
Just take her guess the same way you would take a prediction from the Chinese gender calendar as either could be wrong.

P.s can someone tell me what the nub thing is about please? Never heard of that before :)

Aww that's horrible she did that if you didn't want to know. At least when you were joking about must be a boy she could of said... Would you like to to have a look??
Just take her guess the same way you would take a prediction from the Chinese gender calendar as either could be wrong.

P.s can someone tell me what the nub thing is about please? Never heard of that before :)

There are a few posts about nub theory around that could explain it better than I ever could lol. BUt it's basically the "angle of the dangle", or the nub seen if you have a favourable baby position that has been captured as your scan photo. The nub is a tail like thing seen at the end of the spine and if the angle is up about 30 degrees it's likely to be a boy, or if it's less than 30 degrees likely to be a girl.

I think the main difficulty is your scan pic, and whether the nub can be captured.

Thanks for your replies, I'd love love love to brush away the sonographer's opinion..... but she wasn't looking at the nub..... she turned the scanner straight onto baby's bottom and legs. Plus I found out this morning from a friend who used the same scan firm in Nottingham for her last pregnancy 2 years ago..... she told me she was told (by choice) the gender of her daughter at 12 weeks 5 days!!!!! 2 years ago!!! So it makes me doubt she is wrong in my case.....

Decided to find out at 20 weeks to confirm, otherwise I'll be in limbo now. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->