Probably a stupid question...

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by aiko, Apr 17, 2009.

1. aiko

aiko Fab son & pregnant again!

hi, the answer to this is probably really obvious but it's something that's been bugging me all month. When I take my temp in the morning the thermometer beeps once it's stopped at a temp for several seconds. However if I leave it there the temp continues to slowly creep up -though usually hundredths at a time.

I've always recorded the beep temp for consistency, but I remember reading once about someone who always waited three mins after the beep and recorded that temp. The thing is, when I do leave it in it turns itself off in 3 mins - whether the temp is still going up or not.

My question is - should I be recording the beep temperature, should I be waiting for a certain length of time after the beep, OR should I record the last temp before it turns itself off?

2. Leila Fae

Leila Fae Mummy to Andrew

I've never left the thermometer in my mouth after the beep. It takes up to a minute for mine to do the 3 or 4 beeps to say it's ready (I don't know how many beeps it is because I've usually fallen asleep again!). You should take the temperature when the thermometer beeps.

3. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I agree, take it when it beeps. You want your basal (aka base or bottom) temperature and as you wake that goes up, so it makes sense to take it when it beeps.

4. AimeeM

AimeeM Mum to 3 Boys.

which thermometer are you using and where did you buy it if you don't mind me asking?

I want to temp but not too sure how to? :dohh:

5. aiko

I'm just using one from Amazon. I think it's baby mad bbt thermometer. It was cheap and cheerful. And very quick delivery - just use the standard delivery time, it's not worth paying for quicker!

Thanks for confirming what I already thought about taking my temp. That's the way I've been doing it but because I haven't had a higher temp I was worried I was doing it wrong.

6. AimeeM

AimeeM Mum to 3 Boys.

Thank you, i will have a look now. 2nd day of cycle now so it is early enough to start i think!

7. aiko

Well, my thermometer didn't arrive till day 2 and as I had my period I felt that it was safe enough to start after day 1.

8. Andiepie81

Andiepie81 Mom of 1 and TTC #2!

I started temping 4 days after my period ended. I know it wasnt the best time to start but I wanted to get the hang of it and in to a routine. I was temping orally and getting really different readings. I started temping vaginally this week and have gotten a consistant reading everytime. I just cant go back to orally now..lol

9. Crailly

Crailly Well-Known Member

I just started temping today - but since I am on CD 13 it is more for practice for next month.

10. mikababy

mikababy Gorgeous little baby girl

Same here, and my chart this month has been consistent. Glad I'm not the only one that does it down below!

11. AimeeM

AimeeM Mum to 3 Boys.

Ah right, i have been reading up on temping and i think it sounds pretty confusing.....

I have decided to wait until next month (if i don't get a :bfp: this month!) as i need to learn a little bit more what i should be doing so i get it right!

12. mrskx0x0

mrskx0x0 Scarlett's Mummy

lol my thermometer seems to take an age before it beeps, I have to force myself not to take it out early.

13. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

Mine takes forever as well. Sometimes I fall asleep again and dream that its beeped and then I wake a little and have to tell myself it was a dream so that I don't take it out and have to start all over again.

14. CocoDidi

CocoDidi TTC Cycle 4

I don't really move when I test but I've been testing about 3 times each morning -- one right after another. There is actually a big difference. For example, this morning.. I had 97.07 then 97.42 then 97.21 This was all taken within 3 minutes of each other. I didn't really between the readings. Does this happen to any other else?

15. FBbaby

FBbaby ttc our Little Prince

I think what they say is that it is not the actual temp that matters but the trend. It is recommended that it is taken at the same time every day as soon as you wake the same way.

The only thing that really matter is to see that increase that indicates ov and temp staying up for at least 10 days, indicating proper LP length required for implantation.